• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xoticbass

Feb 16, 2011
    Does anyone use a handheld steamer to remove cosmoline? Something like this $19 gadget, perhaps?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    never steamed. used a heat gun, propane torch, and, when nobody was looking, a transmission cleaner (basically steam/hot water).

it might just work. the tranny cleaner worked best with least effort but isn't always an option.

n3cal

Aug 10, 2009
    St. Mary's County
    Steam works great! I used them on my C&R Mosin Nagants. Lowes has a nice unit with several attachments under $100.00. It was a holiday gift to my wife but she lets me use it too!

Here is a before/after picture of a steam cleaned oil can from a Mosin Nagant :

Attachments

• IMG_0093.jpg
      IMG_0093.jpg
      110.6 KB · Views: 174
    Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Should work fine as said. Be careful on the wood. Steam can be helpful and a hinderance. Some finishes will be ruined with steam. It can be used to swell the fibers of wood to remove all or part of a ding without having to sand a dimple into the wood.

Giogolf

Jan 3, 2011
    Harford County
    I used a 5 gal bucket and a quart of mineral spirits and poured it over each part of my Mosin.. then wipe... then pour and all done... It disloves all the the cosmo and does not harm the wood...

Be sure to dry and oil ASAP or rust will form.

Mineral spirits was the only thing that got the bore clean as well

Llyrin

Yankee-Rebel
    Mar 14, 2009
    Charles Co
    I know this is old, but i figured I'd just throw in this. Bissel is a good brand name and I have this steamer. It works perfectly on cosmoline on the metal parts, not so good on the wood, and the last Mauser I bought was covered bore to butt in the stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EYHAGS

Not so bad for $39, extra long power cord too. Plus you can use it for any other steam cleaning needs you have. Lots of attachments stock too.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Hang it in the attic...barrel down with a big drip pan under it

Hang it in the attic...barrel down with a big drip pan under it....

Why work harder than you need to....put that Maryland heat to work for you.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    If i still have it in the garage i have a cosmoline oven(metal trashcan with lights in it) that i havent used in a while, i would gladly give it to someone who could use it. If someone is intersted Ill have to go look and see.

cwalker3

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2010
    Forest Hill, Harford County
    I've always used mineral spirits. I break the rifle down and place everything into a wallpaper tray (http://www.doitbest.com/Paper+hanging+tools-Leaktite+Corporation-model-30-doitbest-sku-774736.dib ) and pour in enough MS to cover. Let everything sit for a while, depending on the extent of the cosmo coverage. Then wipe everything off with a rag. Once all of the cosmo is off, I rinse everything in hot water and then let dry thoroughly before continuing. For all metal parts, after rinsing I dry and them wipe down with oil to prevent rust.

If you don't want to use MS for whatever reason, then Simple Green or Purple Power works as well. Both are heavy duty cleaners and are available at hardware or automotive store. If using Purple Power, make sure to wear rubber gloves as it will do a number on your skin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom