• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association will be having its 68th annual Threashermens Reunion Show, the second oldest show of its kind, in Kinzers Pennsylvania in just over a week from now. Lots to see and do. It runs from Wednesday through Saturday and is well worth the trip.
    R&T Home Page
    http://www.roughandtumble.org/

Some must see things when you visit:

More than 100 working steam tractors are expected which would be the largest gathering in one place in a 100 years.

The only operating steam lawn mower in the world. The recently restored Coldwell Steam Lawn Mower.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=Ql4a_KZ8n_8

The Cooper Engine Project. The huge 1913, 485 HP Cooper engine the flywheel alone is 14 feet in diameter and weighs 22,000 lbs.
    http://www.roughandtumble.org/cooperengineproject

Our Circa 1900's, Line Shaft "Machine Works" overhead belt driven machine shop.

The 2nd Oldest running Steam Traction Engine in the US, the Schiedler built in 1886 recently restored!

The Oldest Internal Combustion engine running in North America built by Otto and Langen in 1867.

Steam trains to ride around the grounds.

The Pageant of Threshing History demonstrations.

Be sure to stop in the Blacksmith Shop, you might catch me pumping the bellows forge or hammering on the 650 pound anvil.

Here is a map of the grounds to help you find your way around. Check out the Construction Equipment Demonstration Area to see a STEAM Shovel, STEAM Roller, and other equipment actually working.

Grounds Map
    http://www.roughandtumble.org/groundsmap

Location Map and Directions
    http://www.roughandtumble.org/ourlocation

Be sure to click the Photos & Videos tab at the top of the home page for more pictures of what goes on.

Last edited:

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Not open Sunday it is in Amish Country it runs Wednesday through Saturday.

Engineers love the place, you can even attend Steam School and become a "Real Engineer" and learn to drive trains.:D

oops my fault on the dates.

I thought the real engineers operated stationary boilers :innocent0

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    They have some big tractors there.

IMG_0921s.jpg

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I'm going to try & get up there Thursday or Friday, looking for steam show plaques & buttons for my collections.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    More than 100 working steam Tractors expected!

I was talking with a mover and shaker from R&T tonight and he told me they are expecting more than 100 operational steam tractors at the Threshermans Reunion this year which will make this the largest gathering of working steam tractors in 100 years or more. They are planning on having two tractor pulling sleds working simultaneously for the pulling competition. The parade of power should be a sight to behold and the blowing sparks "Volcano of fire" after dark should light up the sky.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I'm going to try & get up there Thursday or Friday, looking for steam show plaques & buttons for my collections.

There is a very large flea market so you should be able to find some. The gift shop sells leftover buttons from previous reunions.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Bump to the top because the show opens Wednesday an Lord willing I'll be there. Lots of shooters hang out in the blacksmith shop so you will feel welcome. I will also be stopping at near by Village Arms in Gap for some reloading supplies.
    http://www.thevillagearms.com/

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I was there on Wednesday and it was the biggest turn out I have seen for the first day of activities ever. There were more steam tractors than you could shake a stick at and at least one steam fire engine. More will be arriving each day I'm sure. I did not see everything as I was busy in the Blacksmith shop. A few things to note I did see:

They had a Stanley Steamer up on jacks (the car not the carpet cleaners) with the motor running so you couls see how everything worked.

The line shaft machine shop has retooled their turret lathe so it now produces a whistle, formerly it made a thumb screw. They actually let people operate the machine, under direction, and go through all the manufacturing steps and make the product which they get to keep.

Some new model engines on display in the model building.

Someone had an original example of L. S. Starrett's (of precision measuring tool fame) first invention which was a hand cranked meat chopper. There is an illustration on page 5 of this: http://www.starrett.com/docs/educational/starrett-story---bulletin-1216.pdf

AND they had a vendor selling deep fried cheese curds!

I will explore a little more tomorrow.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I'll be there Friday!

Great.

Quick update as of this afternoon, Thursday, they had 106 steam tractors on the grounds and with two days remaining there should be a few more coming.

Great weather!:thumbsup:

I made myself my own whistle in the line shaft machine shop, very interesting if you have never operated a turret lathe, Other operations included roll stamping, secondary milling in a moveable fixture, and cross drilling in a fixed fixture that properly aligns the part. The only production step I did not do was a secondary milling step on one component and the deburing.

Did I mention the food mostly Amish was great.

There is a huge flea market with lots of cool stuff.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Engine4
    There was at least one steam Fire Engine there.

Jabber6
    Plenty to see.

Are you guys members? Membership only costs $20 and get you into all the shows for free and a news letter. Sign up at the Gift Shop and I believe they will credit the cost of admission toward the membership fee.

jabber6

Mar 16, 2013
    Forest Hill, Harford County
    I was there today and had a great time! By far the most steam engines I've seen in one spot! I am a member - though for me Rough and Tumble is strictly a spectator sport. Always enjoy the newsletters and really like the Time of Harvest show in Oct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom