• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • highfructosecornsyrup

Apr 2, 2012
    baltimore city
    Im glad I came across this thread.

To me it isn't in protest to the HQL but rather a paranoid thought. While we are all on a list for registered guns; I feel like HQL gets you on a modern list, and Im not opposed to a little tin foil on this subject.

I guess you could say Im waiting to see whats going on, what the future may hold. Maybe hql people who own AKs, ARs etc may find them selves faster targets for MSP knocking on your door "sir did you get a speeding ticket when you were 19? we need those guns..."

ok that was pretty exaggerated but you get the idea..

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Get your HQL and support your favorite FFLs. The law is detestable, but I don't see a resolution anytime soon. I am exempt from the requirement, and after 36 years in Maryland, we intend to return to our roots in western PA.

Lew--Ranger63

highfructosecornsyrup

Apr 2, 2012
    baltimore city
    I can see my self picking up another sig, that 227 looks sexy. I can also see my self getting a utah even though when Im in West VA you can carry whatever you want in our parts. Ill prob cave at some point..

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    Two available routes ... wait 4 or 5 years and see if HQL is struck down or ... only buy handguns more than 50 years old.

C&R handguns are exempt from HQL and there are a lot of nice guns made prior to 1964 ... PPK's, Makarovs, 1911's, Browning HP's, Stars, Colts, Astras ... the list goes on and on

True, but the cost of these handguns rival that of new ones. What is the advantage of these guns unless you are a collector?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    True, but the cost of these handguns rival that of new ones. What is the advantage of these guns unless you are a collector?

Some do and some do not. You can buy a C&R 9mm double stack Browning HP for about half the price of a new one - and they are easier to find. A nice C&R 1911 will never be worth less than you pay for it now. Many C&R guns are less than halfway thru their useful life ... and will retain their value better than a new gun ... which will depreciate before the price stabilizes ... most C&R guns have already hit their bottom value

Even without being an 03 licensee ... its a $100 savings thru an 01 because you don't need to have the HQL

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    Some do and some do not. You can buy a C&R 9mm double stack Browning HP for about half the price of a new one - and they are easier to find. A nice C&R 1911 will never be worth less than you pay for it now. Many C&R guns are less than halfway thru their useful life ... and will retain their value better than a new gun ... which will depreciate before the price stabilizes ... most C&R guns have already hit their bottom value

Even without being an 03 licensee ... its a $100 savings thru an 01 because you don't need to have the HQL

I just learned something. Thanks.

Yellowhand

Jan 19, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    I'm not surprised that teachers would be 2A supporters given the demon children they face daily. Not all of course but there are some frightening young people out there. I'm holding out on the HQL myself; at 60 I have enough guns to outfit my family should they need or want them.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    As for those talking about gun "needs," mine are pretty much covered. While I don't have all of them anymore (some I have, some were traded, some were sold) but I have bought 35-40 handguns and long guns (maybe a little more) over the past 15 years or so. I still have all my actual needs met (plus a few spares), at least in handguns, but certainly not all my wants. Also, there are guns I have that I want to eventually trade on something that might fit the same niche better. Unfortunately, for all but one of the guns I want to eventually trade for something that would do the same job better, the replacement can't really be had as a C&R (with one I would probably be better served with a newer gun but a C&R would be OK, the rest of the guns that I have in mind are all modern designs).

Since school bus drivers are required to be fingerprinted in this county (Frederick)I am surprised that as a condition for the teaching job that fingerprints aren't required for the background check, after-all it's for the children.:rolleyes:

It isn't a privacy thing for me...I've been fingerprinted more times than I can remember: once as a kid on a school field trip to the local police station (if it was today I'm sure they would have gone into a database, since it was the 1970's I'm not sure), each of my bank jobs in the 1990s, a volunteer job at a special education school while in college, substitute teaching, my psych hospital job a decade ago, my current job, and soon my new teaching job and again for the summer camp counselor position I have taken for this summer. As a social studies teacher and Civil Libertarian, it is about rights. There is a reason that poll taxes and literacy tests were made illegal for voter registration. There is a reason that liberals go ape-s#*t crazy about voter ID laws (though I think they take it too far and that is not an infringement). Limits and conditions on Constitutional rights have to be given very close scrutiny. Can you imagine anyone (liberal, conservative, or libertarian) taking it sitting down if any other Constitutional right was subjected to fingerprinting before you were allowed to exercise said right ("sorry sir, you need to be fingerprinted and background checked, after you pay the fee of course, before you can ___" fill in the blank with vote, gather with other people, write your Congressman, demonstrate, give your opinion on a blog/website/forum/newspaper, go to church or synagogue, etc.). No one would stand for it! That, not the privacy, is why I'm having trouble with the HQL.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Chaim, the liberals go crazy over voter ID because it stops wholesale vote fraud. Which they rely on to throw close elections.

As for mandatory fingerprinting, photographing, and background check to vote, I'm all for it. The franchise is a privilege, not a right. And it should be closely protected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom