• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wbwanzer

Feb 4, 2008
    York PA. and loving it
    Please forgive me if you think I should be able to figure this out myself, but I haven't been able to, so far. And I realize that some of this may still be up in the air. I also realize that not everyone on here is an attorney. But if someone who is relatively familiar with what's been going on would please give me your best guess as of now regarding handguns. I'm sure that many of us have semi-automatic handguns that were purchased legally in Maryland, that came with magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. What will be our situation after 10/1?? Will those guns need to be registered to be kept? If so, can I transport them to the range to use them? If no registration, can I transport the gun?

If 'NO' to some of those questions, can I get rid of the magazines that hold more than 10 rounds and acquire magazine that only hold 10 if the manufactureror makes them, and then be legal with the gun?

Thanks for any help. I'm a little confused right now.

k9guy

Feb 12, 2011
    I would like to know the answers to these questions as well. Also if you have your ccw and you already had magazines that hold more then 10 can you still use them, or can you use them but just not carry over 10 rounds?

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    Transfer and purchase of magazines greater than 10 rounds, within the state of MD would be illegal. Possession or use of said magazines is not. I'll leave it to your imagination to wonder what that means.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Please forgive me if you think I should be able to figure this out myself, but I haven't been able to, so far. And I realize that some of this may still be up in the air. I also realize that not everyone on here is an attorney. But if someone who is relatively familiar with what's been going on would please give me your best guess as of now regarding handguns. I'm sure that many of us have semi-automatic handguns that were purchased legally in Maryland, that came with magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. What will be our situation after 10/1?? Will those guns need to be registered to be kept? If so, can I transport them to the range to use them? If no registration, can I transport the gun?

If 'NO' to some of those questions, can I get rid of the magazines that hold more than 10 rounds and acquire magazine that only hold 10 if the manufactureror makes them, and then be legal with the gun?

Thanks for any help. I'm a little confused right now.

The amendment to exude pistol magazines from the 10 round transfer ban has not bee adopted by the committee.

Everything else is speculation. I advise speculating no speculating on an open forum.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    So, if someone wants to sell their S&W M&P 9, it would have to be w/o the std 17 round magazine.

There is a fantastick FAQ thread that has been getting updates as info becomes available. Perhaps keep and eye on that for further updates.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=109281

That FAQ departs, in many important particulars, from SB 281 in the form approved by the House committees on March 29. A more recent summary that reflects major committee amendments is here.

It is really best not to get too wrapped up in every little detail about what is allowed until after the bill is enacted. If too big a deal is made about something that is still allowed, they still have plenty of time to tweak the bill to ban it.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

The way I read the law: NO magazines that hold more than 10 rounds...

To me that means that any gun you wish to buy must have a 10 magazine...

BUT gun manufacturers of double stack semi auto pistols don't offer 10 mags...

Which means that Glock, Beretta, Smith & Wesson will have to tool up to make 10 round mags to be able to sell in Merry-Land OR simply NOT sell their guns to Merry-Land residents...

My guess is that they will choose NOT to sell guns in Merry-Land rather than having to re-tool to sell a few hundred guns in Merry-Land...

A history lesson from an old timer:
    A few years ago our legislature got their panties bunched up & required built in hand gun locks (Gun Control Phase 1)...
    BUT almost no gun manufacturers offered them at that time...
    Gun manufactures said NO they would not do this, period...
    So Merry-Land Residents couldn't buy Glocks etc for many years until the State Police Authorized the "amazing new aftermarket Barrel Locks"...
    Then everybody was forced spend more money to buy Barrel Locks buy to take possession of their new gun...
    And nobody used them ever again once the new gun got in their front door...
    And we were all much, much safer...

If the new law passes, I'm guessing that it's going to get very nasty around here BUT ONLY for law biding tax paying citizens...
    But Fear Not OweMalley will be handing out free Drivers Licenses to illegals to make up for any inconvenience or slight we may feel...

Beemerguy

Oct 6, 2012
    But I'm not asking about buying guns in the future. I understand that part. I'm asking about handguns that we already own that hold more than 10 rounds.

As I understand it, you will not be prohibited from owning or using magazines that hold more than ten rounds...but nothing is certain until the legislative session is over.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    But I'm not asking about buying guns in the future. I understand that part. I'm asking about handguns that we already own that hold more than 10 rounds.

The bill as currently drafted would not prohibit you from continuing to use that pistol with the original magazine.

Ouhuzo

Mar 2, 2013
    What about those who bought their handgun while a resident in another state, then brought them in with them when they moved to Maryland before this draconian bill came into being? Do we have to prove they were bought elsewhere?

sfchoffman

Full Battle Rattle
    Feb 18, 2013
    Just as they have divided the hunter from the target shooter or the collector, they have divided the "who already have them" from the "in the future, wanna owner"...Amazing !
    If I hear the words "reasonable and why do you need" one more time......

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    First : nothing has passed this is not over .

Second : as it stands NOW if it does pass and becomes law you can keep and continue to use what you currently own . There is no turn in , confiscation or forced to sell out of state .

Mobile

Dec 30, 2011
    Couldn't they just ship these handguns with the same 10 round mags that get sent to Jersey, MA and California?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    We are discussing a question that has no real answers until (if) somthing emerges from the reconcilation committee at 11:50 pm 4/8 .

Simply the nature of the questions will guide House floor amendments , and the reconciliation committee.

Have patientce , ask your questions on 4/9 , it's not as if you can do any meaningful purchases between now and then.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    What about those who bought their handgun while a resident in another state, then brought them in with them when they moved to Maryland before this draconian bill came into being? Do we have to prove they were bought elsewhere?

Under the bill that passed the Senate, as modified by the House committees, it appears to me that if you are a Maryland resident on the effective date of the act (October 1, 2013), you would not be required to register those handguns or to prove anything about them. Those who move into the state in the future, however, would be required to register all handguns within 90 days of establishing residency. It appears to me that criminal penalties would apply to failure to do so, but this needs to be confirmed once the bill is available in a less jumbled form. The registration requirement would not apply to antique handguns (those manufactured prior to 1899), nor to percussion-cap handguns or other muzzle loaders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom