• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    HP ammo is not allowed in any firearm in NJ unless it is being carried by NJSP or other active duty NJ LEO. (In state felony):mad54:

Even retired NJSP Troopers are NOT allowed to carry weapons loaded with HP ammo.

Out of state LEOs are also not allowed.
    It is my understanding that a work around is available with a suitable round.

http://m.hornady.com/store/Critical-Duty/

Time is running out register for the Dottrio shoot today! The event is on 10/29/16. This is not spam. We are a mdshooters industry partner! https://dottrio.eventbrite.com

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Expanding full metal jacket is popular up there. Also probably a little more reliable anyway since it feeds like a FMJ.

And from the NJSP Firearms Unit... Critical Defense and Critical Duty ammo is approved for use as well as EFMJ ammo.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    HP ammo is not allowed in any firearm in NJ unless it is being carried by NJSP or other active duty NJ LEO. (In state felony):mad54:

Even retired NJSP Troopers are NOT allowed to carry weapons loaded with HP ammo.

One of the dumbest laws of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD

I was up at the range once, and was talking to an officer who had to transport a person to NJ. Somehow the NJ troopers got from conversation they had HP ammo in their service weapons, and threatened the MD officers. Crazy stuff.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    It is a myth that HP ammo is banned here. It is not. It is allowed in your home or target range. It is not allowed anywhere else. My home defense guns are loaded with JHP rounds for safety reasons (don't want over penetration).

This means you can't carry it as a civilian but with 1200 carry permits in total in the state, this really is a moot point.

Of course this law does not apply to law enforcement officers and LEOSA overrides this law for out of state LEOs and specifically has a provision for HP rounds.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Sometimes I think a satire site should be made to be Pro Gun satirical...

Give the Antis a taste of there own witlessness....

Some possible headlines!

Gun Show Loophole Expanded to Include Internet Sales.

Supreme Court Finds 2nd Amendment Requires Gun Ownership By Every Voter.

Simple Modification Makes Any Revolver Into A Machine Gun.

Anyone have more suggested Headlines to make liberal heads explode?

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Satire or not, I think this is already the case in NJ. Reality in other restrictive states probably isn't far behind.

In NJ, yes it is, but the law is stupid. Hollow points such as Federal Guard Dog and Hornady Critical Defense are OK because there is not an empty cavity. In the case of Guard Dog, it is an enhanced jacketed hollow point where the jacket covers the noise of the bullet, but it is filled with polymer and petals out just like a standard JHP. As anyone who has seen Critical Duty, the hollow is filled by a silicone plug that aids in feeding. Since there is no cavity in the bullet, it's not a hollow point according to NJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    It is a myth that HP ammo is banned here. It is not. It is allowed in your home or target range. It is not allowed anywhere else. My home defense guns are loaded with JHP rounds for safety reasons (don't want over penetration).

This means you can't carry it as a civilian but with 1200 carry permits in total in the state, this really is a moot point.

Of course this law does not apply to law enforcement officers and LEOSA overrides this law for out of state LEOs and specifically has a provision for HP rounds.

Ban INCLUDES RETIRED LEOs... Fact...

Sources: Retired NJSP Lieutenant and current active duty NJSP Trooper assigned to the NJSP Firearms Unit/HQ.

Governor Chrispie Creme could have fixed this years ago (along with the stupid abomination which is the NJ Smart Gun Law.)

And yes... The one saving grace is that the "Guard Dog" and "Critical Defense/Critical Duty" ammunition is not considered by the NJSP Firearms Unit, to be HP Ammo. Even though it performs in the same manner. Both round types are not "hollow" points when they are manufactured.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom