• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Any recommendations for a Lee starter progressive press? I'm not looking for anything fancy or anything (blue, green, other red machines), just something that will get the job done. I am already aware that a good deal of tinkering will be required to get Lee progressive presses to work right. All those plasticy bits complement my other hobby anyways (3d printing). I will mainly reload 9mm and other pistol cartridges with it.

I been shopping around for a starter progressive press. I already have a Lee 3 hole manual index press, with multiple turret heads and dies already (buying a kit may be redundant). I been hand priming all my cases (already own a rcbs hand tool)

My first choice was a Lee pro 1000 as I can use the existing turret heads, but I was turned off by the priming system and overall complexity of the shell plate assembly.

After much exhaustive research, i'm leaning towards the Lee breech lock pro with all its bells and whistles (Lee Auto drum, lock ring bushings, universal shell feeder, bullet feeder, safety prime system, shell plates, etc.) as my pick.

Alot of people with this press leave out the bullet feeder or safety prime system as they can be more trouble than its worth.

Anyone out here with a breech lock pro or would recommend another Lee progressive press? Are there certain accessories that you will leave out? What process works best for you (I.e. doing all steps on the press vs. leaving out bench priming step out of it, etc.)?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. Thanks

I'm a Lee fanboy. Most Lee guys agree their Classic Turret is the best press. I run an Auto Breech Lock Pro. I can produce 350-400 rounds per hour- assuming I already resized/deprimed and prime off the press.
    There are two faults with the ABLP, in my opinion: the priming system is absolute garbage and I'm much happier now that I hand prime again. The other issue is fine tuning the dies when changing calibers. This is typically a 30-45 minute process. I advise loading a lot of the same caliber before switching to another.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I spent several years with a pro1000, when all was right, I could stamp out maybe 50 or so rounds before I got a jam, flipped primer, or some type of stoppage, hand priming can help you get 100 or more without an issue, but adds a lot of time for something a press should be able to do. The lack of a 4th hole for a crimp/post sizing die also sucked, and took more time on a single stage to finish loaded rounds. The new Pro 4000 at least adds a 4th die, but who knows if the priming system is better or not. Played with a loadmaster, and didn't really like it, slow setup, and just didn't care for it. Went with a Hornady LNL AP, and most of the time, just have to stop to fill primers or powder with maybe 1 stoppage every few hundred rounds, and probably the best powder measure in the business with easy, fast and cheap caliber swaps. Dillon makes a better press, but they are expensive, and caliber swaps are slow and can be expensive with replacement tool heads. 9mm is actually one of the worst rounds to reload, with unlubed cases and carbide dies they take more muscle on the lever than 308, they are short with a lot of powder, so lots of spillage, and you tend to load/shoot a lot, so long reloading sessions.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Thanks for your responses guys. I went with the breechlock pro with the lee bullet feeder. I'm already printing out an automatic bullet collator for it while I wait. Hopefully I can get it to work before it arrives. :)

MStyyyf.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom