• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Lower and Delton upper, reliable, accurate, fun.

Play and upgrade to another set-up later.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    What about the Vietnam Colt kits that have been on the market... Some assembly required, but a $400 kit seems like a good way to get in on the deal get some real mil-spec parts and get a 20" barrel with a real nice retro look. Add an inexpensive lower and LPK and you're done.

Mark

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Not sure but I think the Vietnam kits are going to have very thin barrels and like a 1:12 twist rate that won't stabilize the 62grain bullets.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Not sure but I think the Vietnam kits are going to have very thin barrels and like a 1:12 twist rate that won't stabilize the 62grain bullets.

I don't think so, as the barrels are new 1:9 barrels. At least in the kit I purchased it was. I don't know if that will stabilize the 62 grain bullet nor am I sure of the "quality" of the barrel supplied (although they have been said to be colt barrels.)

APEX has the kit without a barrel for $359. Adding a nice new BCM or Sabre defense barrel would be one way to address that.

rawboy

Oct 26, 2010
    Here is mine...
    All parts where used except the Spikes lower
    Since I bought used everything you see below for just a hair under $1K (does not include the SIG)

20100522_7.jpg

Spikes Lower
    CMMG LPK
    Eotech 511 rev. F
    FDE Magpul Furniture
    16" BCM Mid-Length Upper:
    9" Troy MRF-DI
    BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto
    BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle
    Magpul MBUIS

thats nasty

jimsoden

Super Lurker
    Sep 25, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    Don't forget the awesome guys at http://www.rguns.net/! They sell the DPMS Sportical in 5.56 for only $629.00 ($599.00 when I bought one a little over a year ago). :) They also offer the 7.62 DPMS Sportical for $840.00 ($799.00 when I bought one with the 5.56). Inflation...

These are solid prices. Just good to know you have options! :)

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Don't forget the awesome guys at http://www.rguns.net/! They sell the DPMS Sportical in 5.56 for only $629.00 ($599.00 when I bought one a little over a year ago). :) They also offer the 7.62 DPMS Sportical for $840.00 ($799.00 when I bought one withe 5.56). Inflation...

These are solid prices. Just good to know you have options! :)

I am in the same boat as the OP in looking to build a rifle or buy a rifle. I did a search for reviews on R-Guns and I am staying away. Folks were treated rudely, had faulty parts or rifles and got NO customer service. This search was conducted using several different refeerences. Thanks for the thoughts on R-Guns, but I will pass.

jimsoden

Super Lurker
    Sep 25, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    I am in the same boat as the OP in looking to build a rifle or buy a rifle. I did a search for reviews on R-Guns and I am staying away. Folks were treated rudely, had faulty parts or rifles and got NO customer service. This search was conducted using several different refeerences. Thanks for the thoughts on R-Guns, but I will pass.

I guess everything is relative. I own 16 ARs (15 AR-15s, Colt, Knights Armament, Bushmaster, DPMS, and RGuns, and 1 Armalite/Sterling AR-180), 5 of my lowers are from RGuns and 2 rifles (DPMS Sporticals) are from them as well. I always did my buying over the phone. They are price conscious and sometimes short, but I was polite and ended up with some GREAT deals from people who were literally overwhelmed when Odumbo got elected! Their prices are outstanding! They are worth the effort - don't be put off by the first-time whiners on the net (Google, etc.) - be patient and realize they are a small operation and trying to make a profit. They are worth the effort! :)

Don't be angry with me, I don't work for them! Just trying to share my experience with them. :)

Peace,
    Jim :thumbsup:

Last edited:

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I think the problem with Oly's was the magwells being out of spec on SOME of their lowers. I have an oly lower that takes milspec and pmags just fine, but I've seen one or two that bind on pmags, and I've heard stories about them binding on both. I don't think oly's are horrible, but I wouldn't go looking for an oly either. If I happened across one at a good deal I'd check mag fit and buy it so long as it worked.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I'm thinking about something on an AR platform (first one) and have read good things about the Rock River Coyote Carbine. I don't really want to build one but would prefer something factory stock. What do you guys think about Rock River?

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I'm thinking about something on an AR platform (first one) and have read good things about the Rock River Coyote Carbine. I don't really want to build one but would prefer something factory stock. What do you guys think about Rock River?

For bout the same price you can get a BCM and many of use prefer them to RRA.

jimsoden

Super Lurker
    Sep 25, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD

Well, if you drop by Atlantic Guns (Rockville or Silver Spring) they are fanatics about RRA! :)

I admit to having the hots for their .458 SOCOM and their 20" barrel Coyote! :D

They come HIGHLY recommended from the guys at the Rockville Atlantic Guns shop (who are also heavily into cowboy shooting stuff!). :)

Don't be afraid to call 'em up and ask for their opinion. They are super nice folks. Prices are a bit high, but they walk the walk, so they will not BS you on most things they sell (in my experience). :thumbsup::cool:

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Well, if you drop by Atlantic Guns (Rockville or Silver Spring) they are fanatics about RRA! :)

They come HIGHLY recommended from the guys at the Rockville Atlantic Guns shop (who are also heavily into cowboy shooting stuff!). :)

Don't be afraid to call 'em up and ask for their opinion. They are super nice folks. Prices are a bit high, but they walk the walk, so they will not BS you on most things they sell (in my experience). :thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for the input. I'll have to stop by Atlantic. I used to walk over there a couple of times a week when my office was in Rockville but we moved out to G'burg so I don't get over there much anymore.

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    As far as i have always been told. The reason oly's are junk is that they are cast instead of forged and they use low grade aluminum. A bit on the soft side.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I guess everything is relative. I own 16 ARs (15 AR-15s, Colt, Knights Armament, Bushmaster, DPMS, and RGuns, and 1 Armalite/Sterling AR-180), 5 of my lowers are from RGuns and 2 rifles (DPMS Sporticals) are from them as well. I always did my buying over the phone. They are price conscious and sometimes short, but I was polite and ended up with some GREAT deals from people who were literally overwhelmed when Odumbo got elected! Their prices are outstanding! They are worth the effort - don't be put off by the first-time whiners on the net (Google, etc.) - be patient and realize they are a small operation and trying to make a profit. They are worth the effort! :)

Don't be angry with me, I don't work for them! Just trying to share my experience with them. :)

Peace,
    Jim :thumbsup:

Hey, it is all good...I am just going by the Fully Built rifles reviews I have found online. More then a dozen reviews and all are rated at a 2 or less!! It is all a matter of opinion and luck I am guessing??

jimsoden

Super Lurker
    Sep 25, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey, it is all good...I am just going by the Fully Built rifles reviews I have found online. More then a dozen reviews and all are rated at a 2 or less!! It is all a matter of opinion and luck I am guessing??

Cool. Just to clarify a bit. I only own their lowers (RGuns). I also bought 2 fully built DPMS Sporticals. DPMS (owned by the folks who own Bushmaster, Remington, etc.) generally get good reviews and have a good reputation for reliability. I don't have any direct, first hand, experience with any RGuns fully assembled rifles. But, one day maybe...

Since the RGuns prices were so good on the DPMS stuff, I thought I'd take a chance on their lowers. (not sure who builds them for them?). I haven't been disappointed yet. I bought 5 M16A1 (yes, M16!!) uppers from Gunny's Surplus - out of stock right now. :-( I bought the AR-15 bolts, carriers, and charging handles from RGuns, too.

I thought it would be a neat & cheap way to assemble some retro-looking, Vietnam-era M16A1s!

Everybody has their own opinions...I guess that's what makes the web so interesting. Half the fun is in the hunt for the parts and learning about stuff on the way! :thumbsup::)

Cheers,
    Jim :)

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    You could build a nice DPMS or CMMG lower with a Stag upper for about $700 before optics. I'd recommend getting the flattop as others mentioned, then you can accessorize from there, starting with a detachable carry handle for cheap sights.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville

Being a fanatic about RRA is laughable. They make decent guns but nothing special. They are also IMHO overpriced. BCM, Colt, LMT, DD, and Noveske make great guns. Overhyping RRA is Bs'ing you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom