Votes: 30 93.8%
    • Bad idea...

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters

Tactical Patriot

Jan 22, 2010
    I'm thinking of buying a Stag Arms Model 2. Anyone have anything good or bad to say before I make my purchase? I would really like to hear your opinions.

FYI this will be my first AR style rifle.

I'm also considering a WASR-10..

Thanks for the help!
    TP

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    If you are looking at the Model 2, maybe you could get the 2T which has the rail installed.

As for the WASR-10, it's an AK, but search the threads for what to look for on the WASR so you don't get a problem one (canted front sight, and bad rear sight, trigger group problems). Most of these problems have been fixed, but just be aware of them so you don't get hosed.

Q

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Do yourself a favor and buy an AR! I'm partial to AR's though. An AR will most likely be more accurate, easier to upgrade, and can grow with you as a shooter. IMHO

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I would recommend the upgrade with the rail.

I would also talk to some of our industry partners (Dan at the Gun Connection for example) who build / sell similar models. That way you can get it set up the way you like right from the get go.

the first thing I did when I got laid off was sell my existing AR (I'm a WWII kinda guy).

Then I built a lower from the safe into a railed carbine (similar to the model 2).

Now it's my favorite range rifle and I'm planning on getting at least one alternate upper for it once my finances improve.

Be careful, it's an addiction....

littlebr4d

Large Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Jarrettsville, MD
    I have a Stag Model 2 Upper on a RRA lower. I'm very happy with mine and they get good reviews. They're known as a quality, affordable piece.

I wouldn't get the one with the rail pre-installed. It is a Sampson rail which is nice and because it is factory installed is covered by Stag's warranty, but you can get a different rail of the same or better quality for less money by doing it yourself. All depends on where your priorities are.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Go for it!

My first rifle was a Stag AR15 that I built last year. It was a coincidence that it was all Stag. It was the only stripped lower in the state of Maryland at the time and the deal for the rest of the rifle happened to be all Stag parts. I would have mixed manufacturers otherwise. I'm very happy with it. I assemble the lower myself and being a total gun noob was very surprised at how easy it was. The upper was assembled for me. All the pieces went together nicely. Since it was my first build I don't know if that's because they were all Stag or that is how they all go. I've shot about a thousand rounds through it and haven't had any problems.

My only complaint was the finish on the upper had several minor scratches and blemishes. Not a big deal for me but I expect new to look like new. It was a 6 month wait at the time for an upper so I didn't say anything to the manufacturer. It wouldn't prevent me from buying another as the performance and reliability are far more important to me then a couple of nicks on the finish.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I have the 2TL, and it has ~8000 rounds through it without a single malfunction. I'm very happy with it. When I ordered it, I had them put on a Troy flip up front site instead of the standard A2 sight. (on the left)

DSC_0413.jpg

jtarpley59

live free or die
    Jan 6, 2010
    Churchton
    I own a stag also it is a great gun. They make rifles for Colt also so really you are buy a colt for a cheaper price tag.

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    i have a Stag 2h upper and couldnt be happier with it. im also considering the new Stag gas piston upper to go with my lower from the froup buy

stever

Jan 7, 2009
    harford county
    I was very happy with mine until the boating accident.:D Seriously though, I have the 2H and I upgraded the factory handguard to a Daniel Defense. Be prepared for the EBR sickness to start soon after you take possession.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Before spending any money, I would consult "The Chart" to see what it is that you are buying for the price:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=14008

My first AR was a Stag, c.Feb 2005, made up of separate purchases of a complete upper and a vendor-built Stag lower. I don't regret the purchase. The lower became my SBR. The Stag upper was rebuilt (the barrel sold off and replaced due to needing a certain twist rate, and the bolt carrier replaced), and is now a spare for non-SBR purposes. I used the rebuilt upper in a 3-day carbine class with an instructor known for running carbines into the ground. The rifle worked great for the 2400 rounds fired with only a few magazine-related feeding issues that easily got fixed by using different brand magazines. If I didn't go the SBR route, I would have kept using the rebuilt upper full time.

But if I was spending the same $$ again, it wouldn't necessarily be on a Stag, and that is only because of the explosion of options that followed the expiration of the federal "assault weapons" ban. 2010 is way better for the AR15 consumer than 2005

highfructosecornsyrup

Apr 2, 2012
    baltimore city
    i bought my model 2 a couple years ago and it is amazing. I did put a free float handgaurd on so I could run a bipod. I am happy I put my money in to something nice, I would buy another in a heart beat and I would recommend to a friend for sure!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom