• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    Hey. Reading a lot of this forum, and a lot of you are into prepping; that's cool. I'm looking for some of these Stackable WaterBrick 3.5 Gallon containers. Where can I find the best price online? Amazon says they are sold out, and prices seem to vary wildly, have seen them for $20 each and for $150 each (sold as a 2 pack with some extras for $300).

Are there just a few places you guys always look, or do you use google and compare it to Amazon? Starting to get the idea we might need to spend our tax refund and get some other stuff; so you have a short list of critical items? We think we are good with food, water, and medical; look at things like these containers, or that Mr.Buddy heater and stuff like that.

The reason we like these smaller bricks, even though they are more expensive than using recycled juice containers, or larger (5gal) jugs, or massive barrels; is because in this smaller size we can more easily move them around and keep them clean, more practical for us at home, and to take on the road. All advice appreciated. :thumbsup:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Anything made from plastic is going to be expensive as can be right now due to the shortage of resins. Maybe try eBay or set an in-stock alert for Amazon.

IIRC, I have only ever been able to find the 5-gal versions at Walmart.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    Screw amazon and go to the source. Either one is $18.50 per container. Used them for years camping and hold up unlike some of those thinner crap ones. The only thing that sucks is getting the last drops out because of the shape. The spigots are phone to leaking sometimes and should keep vertically when not using. The caps haven't leaked when stored horizontally during transport.

2 Pack
    https://www.waterbrick.org/product/waterbrick-standard-3-5-gallon-blue/

10 Pack
    https://www.waterbrick.org/product/10-pack-waterbrick-standard-3-5-gallon-blue/

If you're out in the boonies and carrying water then these are more manageable. At about 8.3 lb. per gal. of water 29 lb. plus 2.5 lb. for container, you're lugging 31.5 lb. per hand. Not as fun lugging 5 or 6 gal. containers per hand.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Screw amazon and go to the source. Either one is $18.50 per container. Used them for years camping and hold up unlike some of those thinner crap ones. The only thing that sucks is getting the last drops out because of the shape. The spigots are phone to leaking sometimes and should keep vertically when not using. The caps haven't leaked when stored horizontally during transport.

2 Pack

10 Pack

If you're out in the boonies and carrying water then these are more manageable. At about 8.3 lb. per gal. of water 29 lb. plus 2.5 lb. for container, you're lugging 31.5 lb. per hand. Not as fun lugging 5 or 6 gal. containers per hand.

That’s for sure! I just picked up a couple aquatainers. 7 gallons is not pleasant to carry far. But for me it is 40ft from my utility sink to my storage room. Every 6-months to keep the water fresh.

Just stack a pair and it’s 3 days water for my family of 5. Not including the probably 6-12 gallons of water in my well pressure tank and acid neutralizer. And if things are safer, 30 gallons of water in my hot water tank. And with a few minutes notice I can fill the set of 4x2.1 gallon and 2x4.2 gallon water bladders I have (I typically take a pair of the 2.1s when I go hunting/camping for 2-3 days). Not ideal though.

At some point I’d like to track down some 2.5-3.5 gallon plastic jerry cans for water. Right now it looks like it is almost all 6 gallon, which is too big/heavy. And they almost all seem to be made of fairly thin plastic. In this case I’d like a few for storage as well as bug out and camping. I am building a tear drop trailer and a pair would be great for it for normal camping. Not too heavy to carry one for my kids. Okay enough for me to carry a pair, one in each hand. More durable than the water bladders I have. Easier enough in size to also store in a cabinet in the kitchen portion as a pair in one cabinet.

Also I’ve got a creek behind my house. 200ft away and 25ft below the house. A 7 gallon container would suck. I mean, upside, cart or wheel barrow. But not easy to fill from much of the creek. 3 gallon jerry can easier to carry and lay flat to fill.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Anything made from plastic is going to be expensive as can be right now due to the shortage of resins. …

I was pretty much clueless to ^that^ until several weeks ago, when I was handed a letter from Yamaha announcing they are cutting 2022 WaveRunner productions by 30% … which was followed a week later by yet another announcement of further production cuts … so, we’re looking at like 50-70% (depending upon whom you talk to) fewer WaveRunners (and NO SuperJets!) … primarily because they cannot get raw materials like resins … fvcking unbelievable.

#FJB and the ho’s he rides on …. :mad54:

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter

2 Pack

10 Pack

If you don't spend $180, shipping for 6 jugs is $33 :shocked:

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    If you don't spend $180, shipping for 6 jugs is $33 :shocked:

Three sets with shipping would be $144.

Go to amazon and add six individual units which would be $228.60. At least you get free shipping. :D Looks like there's only a third party selling right now.

Go for the 10 pack on the vendor site and pay $185 with no shipping (don't think they add tax).

Amazon has the 10 pack from them for $180 plus $8.50 delivery. It's $3.50 more.

Other places don't have stock and slightly more too.

Last order about 7 years ago was around $18ish so prices haven't really gone up unless you're getting them elsewhere.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    First World Problems / Disposable Income Privilege

For some perspective. You can go for trendy overpriced $50 water bottles or the useful $20 bottle. I don't care about keeping things cold since I drink ambient temperature water.

8c6d1e70-a8ab-422b-9153-c425386de63e

3fa9a6c1-1ade-4bb2-a5b3-37f3b9614e57

ct08266-smkdkgy-02.jpg

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

2 Pack

10 Pack

If someone can't do a simple internet they need more than someone doing their work for them. They need an education on the principles of prepping, the first of which is self-reliance without which there will be little success.

My first suggestion would be to seek the insights of dedicated pepper sites. THAT'S going to the source for such info

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд

2 Pack

10 Pack

Agreed on the somewhat awkward shape but the awkward shape is also what makes them so practical. I've been considering "repurposing" two or three for dry food storage. Thinking rice, beans and some bouillon powder for flavor/electrolytes.

Doctortoxic

The Dose Makes The Poison
    Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan
    Thanks to the OP for bringing up this topic. Wife and I have recently started getting into prepping and water was the next thing we needed to deal with. Just bought 14 bricks from the manufacturer. No shipping charge and no government theft surcharge.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    Water Brick is $144 for six units delivered.

Amazon is $131.96 (including tax) for six units delivered.

This was the one I was referring to that was in stock then and only for quantity of one. Looks like price went down slightly.
    https://www.amazon.com/WaterBrick-1...46960509&sprefix=waterbrik+3.5,aps,269&sr=8-1

Agreed on the somewhat awkward shape but the awkward shape is also what makes them so practical. I've been considering "repurposing" two or three for dry food storage. Thinking rice, beans and some bouillon powder for flavor/electrolytes.

They do have the FoodBricks but at a higher price. The 1.6 gal. ones were tempting then but not at that cost. Still too expensive for that size.

Something about their logo...

WaterBrick_logo_anim_v04.gif

Reasons I like these instead of larger capacities are for easier carrying and stacking. The spouse and kids may be able to lug them for you too.

For those that want to store without portability, may want to look at 55 gal. plus but need to make sure you treat water to last longer because refreshing that much water every 6 mo. is a chore.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    That’s for sure! I just picked up a couple aquatainers. 7 gallons is not pleasant to carry far. But for me it is 40ft from my utility sink to my storage room. Every 6-months to keep the water fresh.

Just stack a pair and it’s 3 days water for my family of 5. Not including the probably 6-12 gallons of water in my well pressure tank and acid neutralizer. And if things are safer, 30 gallons of water in my hot water tank. And with a few minutes notice I can fill the set of 4x2.1 gallon and 2x4.2 gallon water bladders I have (I typically take a pair of the 2.1s when I go hunting/camping for 2-3 days). Not ideal though.

At some point I’d like to track down some 2.5-3.5 gallon plastic jerry cans for water. Right now it looks like it is almost all 6 gallon, which is too big/heavy. And they almost all seem to be made of fairly thin plastic. In this case I’d like a few for storage as well as bug out and camping. I am building a tear drop trailer and a pair would be great for it for normal camping. Not too heavy to carry one for my kids. Okay enough for me to carry a pair, one in each hand. More durable than the water bladders I have. Easier enough in size to also store in a cabinet in the kitchen portion as a pair in one cabinet.

Also I’ve got a creek behind my house. 200ft away and 25ft below the house. A 7 gallon container would suck. I mean, upside, cart or wheel barrow. But not easy to fill from much of the creek. 3 gallon jerry can easier to carry and lay flat to fill.

You need to do some research on hand pumps for your well. Also improve your stream with a pool to give you a deeper collection area. Then do some more research on hydraulic ram pumps (https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/nrcs142p2_041913.pdf) and see if you can get or make one to automatically pump water from the stream up to your house to a "rain barrel" or "Koi Fish Pond" so you have a ready source of water.

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You need to do some research on hand pumps for your well. Also improve your stream with a pool to give you a deeper collection area. Then do some more research on hydraulic ram pumps (https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/nrcs142p2_041913.pdf) and see if you can get or make one to automatically pump water from the stream up to your house to a "rain barrel" or "Koi Fish Pond" so you have a ready source of water.

No remotely inexpensive way to do it for my well with its depth. Not impossible on a hand pump, but like $1000+.

I have spare electric pump and so long as my generators (plural) don’t die, generally enough fuel on hand for probably 8-10 days before siphoning gas tanks, and that would give another 6-10 days. And that would be running a generator 24x7. Which you’d never do.

I’ve seen ram pumps before, but never thought about them much otherwise. I’ll need to take a better look. I am not sure I’ve got the head pressure to lift it though. That water has to come up maybe 25-30ft from the creek.

That said for just making due, it’s not that hard to fill 4 gallon water containers and pull them up on a cart. 8 gallons at a time. Whatever makes less work of course. But. Not that huge a chore to do that once per day for cooking and drinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom