• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    BINGO!! Direct Hit!

Volume 4 - Model 84R, listed in 1898 as being issued to Co. G, 160th Indiana Vol. Infantry.

Thank you very much - not only for your time, but also for the significant financial investment involved. I only knew that the 4-volume set was hard to find, and expensive, but I did not realized just how expensive.

mgbill

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Thank you very much - not only for your time, but also for the significant financial investment involved. I only knew that the 4-volume set was hard to find, and expensive, but I did not realized just how expensive.

mgbill

You're welcome. Although nobody would pay this much for the volumes listed here, this gives you an idea what someone is up against if they are trying to get all four volumes. These are actual listings, as of a few minutes ago.

In reality, having some, but not all, of the volumes is pretty useless--unless you know that one of your firearms is listed as an exact hit in that volume. That might up the value of the gun a bit, if the book is with it.

Attachments

• SRS_Amazon2.jpg
      SRS_Amazon2.jpg
      47.3 KB · Views: 238
    • SRS_Amazon3.jpg
      SRS_Amazon3.jpg
      51.3 KB · Views: 240
    Jul 1, 2012
    Holy Criminy! $4k for a paperback book.... in "acceptable" condition !

... and I thought the Buxton P38 3 volume set was expensive :)

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    They are out there and a heck of alot cheaper than those prices on Amazon

Yes ... of course. That's why I said nobody would pay those prices for them. Still, I've watched them on eBay and other sites for months. There aren't any cheap bargains. Not sure what you've seen, but even Vol. 1 (small, and produced in large numbers) fetches around $190 at auction these days.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    BUMP

Just letting the group know that I'm still willing to do this, but ask that any one member not send more than one inquiry per week. It's rare that you get a direct hit from this resource, even though it's the best resource available for these firearms, but being able to establish the provenance of a given firearm can "up" the value considerably.

I'll also note that there's not much point in trying to look up M1 Garands, since this data was compiled primarily about pre-WWII firearms.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Been meaning to post a few more, so I'll start off with an 1899 Krag-Jorgensen Carbine, S/N 226177.

Not as much good news on this one as there was on your other.

Firearm Type: 1899 Krag-Jorgensen Carbine

Serial Number: 226177

General Information: This serial number falls within the correct bloc of numbers to be an original 1899 carbine. That's good, because there are a number of faked carbines floating around.

Volume 1 - No serial numbers close enough to be significant.

Volume 2 - No very close numbers, but falls within a list of other numbers of rifles shown to have been sold in Northwestern MA in 1938. This is not conclusive, though.

Volume 3 - Nothing close enough to be significant.

Volume 4 - Nothing close enough to be significant.

rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    North Central Carroll Co.
    Machodoc

FYI - There are actually 5 Volumes. #1 - #2 - #3 - #4 (published 1995) and Vol # 4 (published 1999).
    I read the entire thread as of 11:00 AM 4/27/16 and noted you had obtained Vol. #4.

For all thread followers. The type in these books is very small and serial # lookups can be very tedious.
    It should also be noted that all Volumes have largely different info usually does not include the previous Vol. info
    In other words If your Remchester Model XYZ 12345 is not listed in one book it may be listed in another. So all 5 volumes must be searched; and even then it may not be listed.

Rob

I've finally managed to get the first three (of four) volumes of the Springfield Research Service Serial Numbers of U.S Martial Arms series. I'll be glad to look up numbers as time permits. Just post the firearm type and serial number here.

EDIT:

• While there are some listings for WWII, and later, firearms, these research materials focus more on earlier firearms.
    • These records were largely gleaned from military and other reports housed in the National Archives. As such, only a small number of the many hundreds of thousand arms made were specifically mentioned in reports. Getting a hit in the SRS Research tables is sort of like striking gold.
    • Please post one request at a time, and space them out a bit.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    FYI - There are actually 5 Volumes. #1 - #2 - #3 - #4 (published 1995) and Vol # 4 (published 1999).
    I read the entire thread as of 11:00 AM 4/27/16 and noted you had obtained Vol. #4.

The good news is that the 1999 version of Vol. 4 has all the info in the 1995 edition--plus some. I have the 1999 copy.

For all thread followers. The type in these books is very small and serial # lookups can be very tedious.
    It should also be noted that all Volumes have largely different info usually does not include the previous Vol. info
    In other words If your Remchester Model XYZ 12345 is not listed in one book it may be listed in another. So all 5 volumes must be searched; and even then it may not be listed.

Rob

Yep! Thanks for pointing this out. That's why I don't want to be swamped with a whole bunch at a time. Going through one, and writing it up, can take up to about an hour for me ... after I've found my glasses. :)

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Thank you again. How about another Krag, this time an 1898 rifle, 319976?

Total strikeout on this one:

Firearm Type: 1898 Krag-Jorgensen Rifle

Serial Number: 319976

General Information: This serial number falls within the bloc of Model 1898 rifles made in 1901.

Volume 1 - No serial numbers close enough to be significant.

Volume 2 - No serial numbers close enough to be significant.

Volume 3 - No serial numbers close enough to be significant.

Volume 4 - Nothing close enough to be significant. There are a few listed in the 319xxx range, but there's no pattern of issue or ownership.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Sorry ... haven't been on this site much lately.

Springfield 1903 SN 1308243

Vol. 1
    Nothing close, but distant listings shown before and after are TX National Guard (02-08-1939 not necesarily meaningful).

Vol. 2
    Nothing closer than nearly 100 numbers, but bracketed by Maine Maritime Academy (09-09-1942 again,not necessarily meaningful).

Vol. 3
    Bracketed by Co. B, 29th Engineers (1308205 and 1308249 / 1308254 -- no dates). This is intriguing, but not conclusive.

Vol. 4
    1308231 -- HQ Co, First Brigade, Fort Jay (11-09-1931). This shows that these rifles were not necessarily issued in sequential blocks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom