• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • siggirl1911

Dec 6, 2016
    Baltimore co.
    Looking for a .22 to just have fun with at the range and eventually have my kids shooting when they get a little older. Suggestions on one or the other and why? Iv heard the mosquito can be finicky with the kind of amo. Anyone else have this issue?

cdstraw

Oct 9, 2008
    Frederick County, MD
    Sig Mosquito = Finicky! Semi-likes CCI .22 you will still have issues but less frequently than other brand .22's.

I would recommend the M&P .22 for a .22 semi-auto handgun, if you are looking for this type/style. :)

Never had a problem with my M&P .22. With Sig Mosquito 3 rounds of every 10 round magazine would fail. :sad20:

siggirl1911

Dec 6, 2016
    Baltimore co.
    Sig Mosquito = Finicky! Semi-likes CCI .22 you will still have issues but less frequently than other brand .22's.

I would recommend the M&P .22 for a .22 semi-auto handgun, if you are looking for this type/style. :)

Never had a problem with my M&P .22. With Sig Mosquito 3 rounds of every 10 round magazine would fail. :sad20:

I have heard that from 2 other ppl about the Sig which is why i was leaning more towards the Sr .22 what about the walther ppq

TheDonMD

Mar 18, 2013
    HoCo
    Looking for a .22 to just have fun with at the range and eventually have my kids shooting when they get a little older. Suggestions on one or the other and why? Iv heard the mosquito can be finicky with the kind of amo. Anyone else have this issue?

I have an SR22 and it has worked flawlessly using CCI Mini-Mags. It is a great little gun and comes with two grip sizes. I determined from research that it was the best choice.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Get the sig classic in .22

You can later get the caliber xchange kit which comes with slide barrel and recoil spring in the caliber of your choice when they are ready to step up in weight.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Not sure if your deadset on the the style of the Mosquito, or the SR 22, but I have heard great things about the S&W Victory .22 pistol. I think it retails for around 400 and some change. Although it might be a little large for your kids hands.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Terrible reviews everywhere online steered me away from the sig. I went looking for a 22 pistol and took my wife with me. I was set on a ruger MK series or a browning buckmark. The wife said she hated them and they were too heavy. She really liked the way the m&p 22 compact felt in her hand. I did a lot of online research and decided I would buy one. I really like that little gun. I have around 2500 rounds through it and it has been great with sub and supersonic rounds. The only ammo that has been problematic is the American eagle in all flavors.
    FYI the M&P 22 is made by Walther and have some complaints of failure to feed problems due to a gap in the feed ramp. The m&p 22 compact is made in the USA by S&W. It does not have the feed problems. The down side is you can only get 10 round mags for it. It also has a threaded and capped section of the barrel under the slide so if you ever want to use it as a suppressor host you unscrew it and screw on the threaded barrel adapter.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I have a Sig Mosquito I'd be willing to sell you very cheap. Having said that, don't ever buy a Sig Mosquito.
    Actually it seems to do ok unsuppressed but with a suppressor it's horrible. (And that's why I bought it so it just sits in my safe now)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I have a Chiappa 1911-22. It's a lot of fun to shoot, inexpensive, and the design is classic. It never fusses over ammo.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My daughter's Mosquito has been reliable so far, but the credible reports about finikieness and feeding problems are too widespread to ignore. I wouldn't recomend it, unless you really wanted a SIG understudy on purpose.

And that segues into the next question. Are you looking for a clone of popular centerfire semiauto on purpose, or simply a .22lr pistol on its merits ?

siggirl1911

Dec 6, 2016
    Baltimore co.
    My daughter's Mosquito has been reliable so far, but the credible reports about finikieness and feeding problems are too widespread to ignore. I wouldn't recomend it, unless you really wanted a SIG understudy on purpose.

And that segues into the next question. Are you looking for a clone of popular centerfire semiauto on purpose, or simply a .22lr pistol on its merits ?

A good reliable .22 definitely open to suggestions.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I have a Colt branded ( mfg by Walther).22lr 1911 that was my pre-October .22 bottomfeeder to serve general duties in addition to understudy, and like it fine. It is full size 1911, albeit weighs more like a Lightweight Commander. For me this is good, for young kids maybe not.

Added- I typed this simultaniously, and didn't see your above post.

Being a revolver guy, I just have to throw out Ruger Single Six, preferably dual cylinder.

Standalone .22lr semiautos the overwhelming answers will be the Ruger and the Browning Buckmark. Personally I'm lukewarm on the Ruger, like the Buckmark.

I really like S&W M622. Slimmer, better balance, and more accurate than stock Rugers. M422, M2206, M2204 will be similar. Discontinued, but they're around.

I will say that for .22lr semiautos I categorically prefer bbl of aprox 6in vs those of approx 4in.

siggirl1911

Dec 6, 2016
    Baltimore co.
    I have a Sig Mosquito I'd be willing to sell you very cheap. Having said that, don't ever buy a Sig Mosquito.
    Actually it seems to do ok unsuppressed but with a suppressor it's horrible. (And that's why I bought it so it just sits in my safe now)

I wouldn't suggest you go into any sales positions lol thanks for the input seems to be the majority response

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Lol, just being honest...........even though I have a gun I can never get rid of!

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    I've had several .22LR semi-auto pistols over the years. The one that was easiest to field-strip to clean, and the one I never had any ammo problems with, was the Browning 5.5 Field Target.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom