• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I half joke. Seems you go for deer and all you see are squirrels, go for squirrels...and well, just don't see anything. Went to Frederick city water shed to try out my Remington 870 and Mossberg 702. Forgot my plug, so the 870 stayed in the car. I saw NOTHING in 2 hours of both waking around and sitting. I got 2 beer bottles a beer can and a pair of hunting gloves.

I seem to be minute of beer can at around 40-50yds with the 22. Good enough for squirrel I guess, but certainly no head shots. Maybe at 25yds I'd be that accurate. Time for more range time.

Seems like all the squirrels are local to me. I guess I'll just take the 870 to patuxent after deer season for squirrel.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Find the oak tree clusters at the watershed and you should find plenty of squirrels. Im also pretty sure you don't need a plug in your 12gauge for squirell hunting that only applies to waterfowl.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have a crap ton ( scientific measurement ) of squirrels where I hunt in Cecil County. They drive me nuts when I am in the stand! You literally have no chance of hearing a deer move in the woods because of them. They NEVER stop running around.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Someone said, if you go deer hunting you will see squirrels, if you go squirrel hunting you will see deer, and if you bring guns for both, you will see a 5lb bass.

Get a squirrel caller. I have only tested mine in the back yard and it worked pretty good to call them out. After doing it a few times over a few days, they got wise to it and stopped coming down to chatter at me.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    ] Im also pretty sure you don't need a plug in your 12gauge for squirell hunting that only applies to waterfowl.

Check the regs closely.In Md you have to have a shotgun plugged to hold 3 shells.only for most hunting.Deer,Early Goose and I think some Snow goose seasons are the only time that you can unplug your shotgun.I could be wrong tho

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    I half joke. Seems you go for deer and all you see are squirrels, go for squirrels...and well, just don't see anything. Went to Frederick city water shed to try out my Remington 870 and Mossberg 702. Forgot my plug, so the 870 stayed in the car. I saw NOTHING in 2 hours of both waking around and sitting. I got 2 beer bottles a beer can and a pair of hunting gloves.

I seem to be minute of beer can at around 40-50yds with the 22. Good enough for squirrel I guess, but certainly no head shots. Maybe at 25yds I'd be that accurate. Time for more range time.

Seems like all the squirrels are local to me. I guess I'll just take the 870 to patuxent after deer season for squirrel.

I was in my stand the other morning and had 8 fox squirrels within 20 yards of my stand. It only takes one hot female...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So I should dress up as a lady squirrel and shake some tail? Pushing what I am willing to do to bag some...but I guess. Is it legal to carry more than one season hunting? As in you could carry a 22lr for squirrel and a 12ga in case a deer saunters by?

I think I will invest in a squirrel call. That and just take my 870 to patuxent for a bit. Shorter drive and if I don't see squirrel there I'll know something damned unnatural is going on.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    My place in WV is the same way. Between the chimpmunks and the squirrels there is no chance of hearing a deer.

Chipmunks are way worse noise wise then squirrels.

MattL223

Dec 6, 2015
    I had the same experience. I just got back from about a 4 hr slog around the Fred. City Watershed with nothing to show for it. Didn't see anything the whole time I was there. Spent about 45 minutes sitting in a spot I had seen squirrels in November and the rest walking around. Are there particular parts of the watershed or perhaps cunningham falls that you guys see squirrels often?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I had the same experience. I just got back from about a 4 hr slog around the Fred. City Watershed with nothing to show for it. Didn't see anything the whole time I was there. Spent about 45 minutes sitting in a spot I had seen squirrels in November and the rest walking around. Are there particular parts of the watershed or perhaps cunningham falls that you guys see squirrels often?

Definitely wondering as well. Frederick watershed and Cunningham are the two closest places to me I can use my 22lr for squirrel and rabbit (50 minute drive still, bleh). I don't mind using my 870 and going close like patuxent which is only 15 minutes from me, but I really want to work with my 22lr.

But I don't really want to spend half a day with zero to show for it when it is squirrels. I need to call DNR and see if rifles are allowed in Monocacy now as it is a little closer and vastly different habitat, so maybe more options on squirrel and rabbits.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Do you know why you see squirrels when your deer hunting? Because your flat on your ass, still, and your in there early at dawn.

I tried the flat on my ass for an hour with no luck. I see a lot more in patuxent just sitting, I also still tend to see a few still hunting and hiking. Nada this time. Oh well.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Check the regs closely.In Md you have to have a shotgun plugged to hold 3 shells.only for most hunting.Deer,Early Goose and I think some Snow goose seasons are the only time that you can unplug your shotgun.I could be wrong tho

From the regs:
    • Shotguns may be used to hunt all game
    birds, game mammals (except beavers,
    weasels, mink, muskrats, and river otters),
    nutria, and woodchucks. The magazine
    and chamber must be capable of holding
    no more than 3 shells total except for resident
    Canada geese during the September
    season, light geese when prescribed in
    the annual hunting regulations, or deer
    hunting (where the number of shells is
    restricted to 8).

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Not 100% sure so a call to DNR may be worthwhile, but my understanding of the shotgun/rifle areas pertain to deer hunting only. I believe you can use, for example .223 for woodchucks on public land, or a .22 for rabbit, etc. unless prohibited by some other regs. Like the urban area of Montgomery County or parts of Baltimore County.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Not 100% sure so a call to DNR may be worthwhile, but my understanding of the shotgun/rifle areas pertain to deer hunting only. I believe you can use, for example .223 for woodchucks on public land, or a .22 for rabbit, etc. unless prohibited by some other regs. Like the urban area of Montgomery County or parts of Baltimore County.

DNR lists the regulations for each park/WMA on its website for that location. The regulations apply to ALL game. If it is shotgun only, it applies to all animals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom