Square-Up Bow Torque Indicator? Any experience?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    OK, so I'm getting used to a new Bear Encounter RTH, and I was actually getting pretty good groups gripping the thing hard. Well, a dude at the range suggested I try breaking that habit early, and do that open in the web of hand grip, and now I'm torquing mostly left on my shots, but at least my elevation is on...

So, I was looking for some YouTube vids on how to train out of this problem, and came across this thing called a Square-Up. Makes sense in its design - just basically a horizontal plane sight to mimic/align your vertical pin sight. Anyone ever try this? Here's a vid on it:

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    Looks like it might work. I have been having the problem lately of being dead on with my 20 yd pin, slightly right with the 30 and a little more right with the 40. Can't figure out why, maybe this could help. I only watched part of the video, do they mention a price?

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    They have a plastic version that can be had for as low as $26 online, to their full monty (really, how many bells and whistles can this thing really have?) one which goes for $70.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    once you pull back and get in the valley, bring your pointer finger around in a loop to touch your thumb. lightly put the tip of your finger on the front of the riser. if you do not have a grip on the bow, you are not tourqeing, you are pulling.

work on strengthening your core and have shorter shooting sessions. all these gadget are horseshit,nothing but a crutch on the real problem!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    once you pull back and get in the valley, bring your pointer finger around in a loop to touch your thumb. lightly put the tip of your finger on the front of the riser. if you do not have a grip on the bow, you are not tourqeing, you are pulling.

work on strengthening your core and have shorter shooting sessions. all these gadget are horseshit,nothing but a crutch on the real problem!

they sure advertise the crap out of these gimmicks:lol2:

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    All you need is a loose open hold on the bow hand and a solid repeatable anchor point. Shoot to the point where the bow would want to fall out of your hand after the shot.
    Don't drop the bow.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring

OK thanks - this is the kinda info I was originally digging for. Oddly, I think I may be alternately doing a little of both - torquing and pulling, and I probably do practice a little too long, as I'm pretty wiped from holding come the end of 45 mins to an hour - with requisite breaks in between to pull 12 arrows.

I do still need to fight the urge to not open up my grip on the bow after I draw. After that I get all "wandery" with my pins on target. Maybe I wait too long to shoot? I know lots of my issue is just getting used to shooting a bow at all. First time this week since I was 12! Thanks again!

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    All you need is a loose open hold on the bow hand and a solid repeatable anchor point. Shoot to the point where the bow would want to fall out of your hand after the shot.
    Don't drop the bow.

I struggle a bit with this too. I wasn't sure if I was using the same anchor point, so I started using the fletching on my arrows to get consistent. Definitely helped with the elevation, but like I said, my windage is all over the place up to 8" wide.

Thinking about how I react after the shot, I may be grabbing or maybe anticipating a grab at the bow right at the shot - to keep it from falling. I know once I've shot I have a firm grip on it. Hmmm

Thanks for the input - looks like I need to go back out to the range and re-analyze what I'm doing again.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Yeah, but if you're a clueless n00b like me, you start thinkin it ain't enough. :banghead:

Oh, and for everyone's info, I currently have a 1/4" peep, with a basic Trophy Ridge 3 pin sight.

I can see where this new square-up sight would replace the peep, when the bowstring is replaced.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Just another FYI, make sure all your arrows are straight. I like to number them, that way I know if one is shooting inconsitantly.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Yeah, but if you're a clueless n00b like me, you start thinkin it ain't enough. :banghead:

Oh, and for everyone's info, I currently have a 1/4" peep, with a basic Trophy Ridge 3 pin sight.
    put a kisser on and take it off when your anchor comes natural.

for me, i know when my nose touches the string,my sight is clear through the peep and the corner of my lip is resting with my release i have a good anchor. 3 points of contact.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Don't drop the bow.
    :thumbsup:
    I struggle a bit with this too. I wasn't sure if I was using the same anchor point, so I started using the fletching on my arrows to get consistent. Definitely helped with the elevation, but like I said, my windage is all over the place up to 8" wide.

Thinking about how I react after the shot, I may be grabbing or maybe anticipating a grab at the bow right at the shot - to keep it from falling. I know once I've shot I have a firm grip on it. Hmmm

Thanks for the input - looks like I need to go back out to the range and re-analyze what I'm doing again.

The bow should naturally tip from the top forward/down after releasing the arrow if it doesn't add a big enough stabilizer till it does...this is part of your follow through. I have yet to drop my bow in a tree or on the ground after shooting an arrow...

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    Some use a wrist strap on the bow riser to keep from dropping their bow. I shoot with a finger sling. Some don't use anything.

If you are having a bad day shooting, stop, take a break and try another time.
    I have been shooting a bow for over 40 years and I still have had my share of bad days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom