• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Just picked up a Vortex spotting scope. I was shocked to see how much one can spend on a tripod.

Would like to get some insight and suggestions about brands and value. I'd rather not spend $200 but will if I find a great value.

Anyone getting rid of a decent one?

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I had the same problem and went with a camera tripod. It is not ideal since those made for spotting scopes don't have those legs coming from the top to the bottom. They are usually expensive. Maybe check Amazon on prime day. You also have Black Friday coming up.

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    Just picked up a Vortex spotting scope. I was shocked to see how much one can spend on a tripod.

Would like to get some insight and suggestions about brands and value. I'd rather not spend $200 but will if I find a great value.

Anyone getting rid of a decent one?
    $200 is pretty cheap anymore for a strong tripod with good features.

Slik is a good brand, but there are some like VEO that are cheaper but with good features like an included ballhead and carbon tubes. On the high end, Manfrotto is good, but it will cost you and you will need to budget for a ballhead or other support.

As you might expect, the heavier the max support weight, the more expensive the tripod. You are probably going to need to find a tripod that could support at least 8 pounds, figuring a spotter will be about 5 and you want some overhead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom