• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blodter

Aug 28, 2013
    Hagerstown, MD
    Hey fellow Western Marylanders, I'm looking for a range to join around here in Hagerstown. Right now IWLA of Washington County is at the top of my list. Is there any chance that someone could take me there and/or provide some more information about it. From the website, it makes it sound like you can only after meetings, which happen only once a month? I'd like to join a range I can go to whenever weather permits. I shoot primarily rifles, but plan to get a handgun and shotgun in the future. Thanks!

Teflon

Aug 5, 2013
    Hagerstown
    I am a IWLA member....what do you want to know? I chose it over the NARGC based on price and it appeared more laid back. I like it a lot, the rifle range is never crowded, half the time I am the only one there. Most times I am the only one at the pistol range. Signing up is annoying as is once a month as you say, but annual renewals are via mail so that's a snap.

Let me know if you want to know more.

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    I belonged to NARGC and currently IWLA. Except for the Sunday AM thing (sporting clays closes all the other ranges), IWLA wins hands down!

blodter

Aug 28, 2013
    Hagerstown, MD
    Sorry, I meant the website made it sound like you could only shoot if you have a range pass, and you only get a range pass for one hour after a meeting. But you can go whenever you like?

blodter

Aug 28, 2013
    Hagerstown, MD
    Also, how often can you take friends and family? I've got a brother and girlfriend that I'd like to take along every now and then.

Teflon

Aug 5, 2013
    Hagerstown
    The range pass is an annual membership and is only given out 1x/month after their monthly meeting. But, once you pay your annual fee and get the range badge you can go whenever you like. Rifle ranges are open daylight hours I believe, the pistol range has lights and is open til 9 or 10. .22s can be shot indoors 24/7.

The rules say you can bring family or one other non-member per visit, and guests can visit 3 times before being expected to join. But, I don't know how they'd track that and I've never seen a range official when I've been shooting.

blodter

Aug 28, 2013
    Hagerstown, MD
    Sounds great! I'll probably be attending the meeting on the second of April.

More questions I have:

1. Can you use shotguns on the rifle range?
    2. Is there a specified area where you can shoot clay, and is there a launcher?
    3. Is it okay to shoot in any position, as long as it is safe (standing, kneeling, prone, sitting)?
    4. Are there shooting benches?
    5. Can you use a .22lr carbine in the indoor range? 9mm carbine too?
    6. By 24/7, does that mean that if I can't sleep at 3am, I could go shoot .22lr at the indoor range?
    7. Are target stands provided, or is it expected that you bring your own that match a specified design?
    8. Can you bring and use steel targets?
    9. Are there any limitations on the types of firearms you can bring, such as Class 3, NFA, and Title II firearms?
    10. Is "rapid fire" permitted? Not exactly mag dumps, but doing a quick 5 - 10 round "burst".
    11. Is tannerite permitted? I don't use it, just curious.

More questions I have:

1. Can you use shotguns on the rifle range? YES, stand provided at 200 Yd range
    2. Is there a specified area where you can shoot clay, and is there a launcher? Only when there is a scheduled shoot.
    3. Is it okay to shoot in any position, as long as it is safe (standing, kneeling, prone, sitting)? 200 YD, YES, the rest NO
    4. Are there shooting benches? YES, at all ranges
    5. Can you use a .22lr carbine in the indoor range? 9mm carbine too? .22 ONLY
    6. By 24/7, does that mean that if I can't sleep at 3am, I could go shoot .22lr at the indoor range? YES anytime except when there is a meeting or class.
    7. Are target stands provided, or is it expected that you bring your own that match a specified design? Provided
    8. Can you bring and use steel targets? NO, never
    9. Are there any limitations on the types of firearms you can bring, such as Class 3, NFA, and Title II firearms? NO class 3, check title II in rules
    10. Is "rapid fire" permitted? Not exactly mag dumps, but doing a quick 5 - 10 round "burst". NO but it happens:D
    11. Is tannerite permitted? I don't use it, just curious. NO, MD State LAW.

Everything will be covered when you join at the monthly meeting.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown

More questions I have:

1. Can you use shotguns on the rifle range? there is a patterning stand on the 100/200 yard range
    2. Is there a specified area where you can shoot clay, and is there a launcher? there are 5 position stands as well as a trap house
    3. Is it okay to shoot in any position, as long as it is safe (standing, kneeling, prone, sitting)?not 100% on this one but from the 50yard range there is a wall no prone and kneeling deal would not work. From the 100/200 may be possible but I honestly dont remember the rule on that
    4. Are there shooting benches? yes there are benches at all ranges
    5. Can you use a .22lr carbine in the indoor range? 9mm carbine too?indoor is 22lr pellet or bow no other calibers allowed
    6. By 24/7, does that mean that if I can't sleep at 3am, I could go shoot .22lr at the indoor range?24/7 means what it says. Unless its booked or someone is shooting something other than what you are bow/.22 its open for use.
    7. Are target stands provided, or is it expected that you bring your own that match a specified design?target stands are provided
    8. Can you bring and use steel targets?no
    9. Are there any limitations on the types of firearms you can bring, such as Class 3, NFA, and Title II firearms?not allowed property is too small
    10. Is "rapid fire" permitted? Not exactly mag dumps, but doing a quick 5 - 10 round "burst".
    11. Is tannerite permitted? I don't use it, just curious.[/QUOTE]banned in md

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom