• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    get a fiskars splitting axe, I switched to one and it is better than any other maul I have ever used. Get the 36 inch one. also as mentioned the grenade wedge is awesome too. get an old tire and a big piece of green oak. Great exercise. I have also used an electric log splitter, its easier, but I like the exercise too.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    get a fiskars splitting axe, I switched to one and it is better than any other maul I have ever used. Get the 36 inch one. also as mentioned the grenade wedge is awesome too. get an old tire and a big piece of green oak. Great exercise. I have also used an electric log splitter, its easier, but I like the exercise too.

Yup, Fiskars X27, best splitter there is, been averaging 2 or 3 cords a season, most have been trees I dropped on my property. I have an 8#maul, the Fiskars is 1/2 the weight, 1/2 the work, but splits just as well, and is slick enough it doesn't get stuck easy, or need to be chopped out. You can also use a hand sledge against the back of the axe to drive it though stubborn logs it buried in, but just couldn't quite split. If the log is too much, I use a cone or splitting wedges with a 10#sledge. Good gloves also help, I like the Mechanix leather palm, the extra padding on the palm keeps your hands from getting rattled, or stuck by splinters, they give great dexterity, and last a long time.

The cone aka wood grenade starts much easier with a point as opposed toan edge, and will split in fewer hits, but it takes a harder hit to split a stubborn log than wedges. For really big or knotted up wood, I'll start a couple wedges in line, holding with one hand, tapping them in with the sledge in the other, once they get in enough to be stable, I'll alternate hits till it splits. The last couple 18-24" diameter hard maples I split could be done about 80% with the Fiskars alone, a few took 2 or 3 wacks with the sledge and cone wedge for the first split, then 1 or 2 pieces knotted up and large enough needed the wedges for the first split, or I just cut them in 1/2 with the chainsaw. Splitting clean dry wood helps a little, but most can be split right after dropping the tree, the type of wood, and knots is what really makes a log tough or easy to split. I helped my neighbor out, he had a small electric splitter, and I could get through wood about twice as fast, despite getting a couple that slowed me down with several hits or needing wedges. All my gear has held up great, just sharpened the axe and wedges a couple times

Fiskars X27

Kobalt 10# sledge

cone wedge

splitting wedges

Mechanix leather palm gloves

Last edited:

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Good thread. OP should definitly have his own tools, even for a 8 foot pickup bed load of wood or less a year. Never know when you might want to split some more.

I have a fiskars splitting axe like a few others mentioned, Mauls and wedges but I confess, I'm not manly man like Blackbart splitting 5 cord by hand, I wimp out on a 22 ton Swisher. I split as soon as I have a tree cut into lengths, and start stacking on pallets.

If money or storage space is no issue them about 1000 bucks gets you a good 20ish ton splitter, otherwise 1/10th the cost will get you manual tools.

If you get a hydraulic splitter, make sure you get one with good cycle time, 38 tons sounds amazing but not when it cycles twice as slow as a 20 ton.

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    Oh man, I love splitting wood in the winter time!

I have a 10-lb maul and a standard axe. The axe I got at HD, and it's got a fiberglass handle. I sharpened the blade, and it cuts most stuff like butter.

If my axe won't split the log in 3 hits or less (and yes, I have lots of experience and good technique), I pull out the maul and BAM, take care of it!

I have split fresh and seasoned firewood, and while people have told me that fresh is easier to split, I find that it really depends on the wood. Anything that's dense or very fibrous is gonna be a PITA to split.

My wife and I (yes, she likes the exercise and releasing of frustrations too) split between 1 and 2 cords of wood per year. Right now, we're pretty well stocked up, so no splitting this year.

-John

Locust wood and gum wood ar a pain in the ass to split . . .
    Actually, locust splits like a dream. Gum is nearly impossible without a power splitter.

I use a sledge plus wedges, a maul, and an axe. It all depends on what I'm splitting. If the axe can split it, I use the axe. If not, the maul. Then the sledge and wedges.

Wood splits easiest when green. But I never get to it then.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Actually, locust splits like a dream. Gum is nearly impossible without a power splitter.

I use a sledge plus wedges, a maul, and an axe. It all depends on what I'm splitting. If the axe can split it, I use the axe. If not, the maul. Then the sledge and wedges.

Wood splits easiest when green. But I never get to it then.
    man, i sure would like to see how you do it then. I usually end up beating it to death with a wedge.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Try to take a chunk off one side first instead of splitting down the middle. It seems easier to split once the circle of the log has been broken.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Good thread. OP should definitly have his own tools, even for a 8 foot pickup bed load of wood or less a year. Never know when you might want to split some more.

I have a fiskars splitting axe like a few others mentioned, Mauls and wedges but I confess, I'm not manly man like Blackbart splitting 5 cord by hand, I wimp out on a 22 ton Swisher. I split as soon as I have a tree cut into lengths, and start stacking on pallets.

If money or storage space is no issue them about 1000 bucks gets you a good 20ish ton splitter, otherwise 1/10th the cost will get you manual tools.

If you get a hydraulic splitter, make sure you get one with good cycle time, 38 tons sounds amazing but not when it cycles twice as slow as a 20 ton.

Now I more cut to size, the 4 or 5 cords by hand was when I was in my early 30's. I do still split just wished I knew where my Monster Maul was. :mad54: I think that thing had a 12 lb head.

mslySpcevXtiVOrOFHKQh_w.jpg

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    What's the best way to split wood? Axe? Splitting Maul? Does wood split better when it's first cut, or after it's seasoned?

I have a Sears axe, with a springy fiberglass handle that vibrates and hurts my hand when I hit anything with it. Trying yesterday to split some well seasoned Bradford Pear (from a storm 2 years ago) was a royal PITA. I thought, as fragile as Bradford Pears are, it would split easily. Not.

I have rarely ever done any wood splitting (just on the occasional camping trip), so what do you guys who do it regularly use? Is it worth getting a splitting maul? I expect I'll be doing a 1/4 to 1/2 cord per year, no more - so no point buying a gas or electric log splitter.

Seasoned wood alsways splits easier than green wood. Splitting Maul works best for large diameter seasoned wood. Small diameter seasoned wood splits faster and more efficently (less tiring) with a good sharp axe.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    They have these 4-way splitters with a diamond pattern they sell at home depot and lowes, and they work relatively well, but generally a maul works best.

for the record, heavy leather gloves absorb a lot of that vibration, and it's always best to do it when it's not freezing cold- the colder it is, the more uncomfortable the vibration

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Keep a tall whole one to sit your peice you plan to cut on. It is easier to split if you have a hard surface so the the victim doesnt pad against the ground and also easier on your back to keep it a little tall. Keep a two foot round one for that. Some times on difficult ones, try hitting out closer to the edge and walk around to pie it off so you get a split. A axe is ok for pine but you want a maul for your harder woods and a good wedge. I keep two wedges on hand, just a regular split wedge and a four sided star wedge. A wedge can take alot of agravation out of it but can hurt you too if you are not carful. Locust wood and gum wood ar a pain in the ass to split and if you run into osage, save it and sell it online to a carver.

This about sums it up for me. I do keep one VERY sharp axe and one equally sharp hatchet on hand. If the wood is seasoned, I can frequently split it with just the axe. Get some good 8" leather upper steel toed boots and safety glasses as well. Axes are sharp and wood can do unpredictable things if you don't hit it square.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Been using a 16# Monster Maul since the '70s, but it seems to be getting heavier lately.
    Luckily, son thinks it's a great workout!
    His coach is thinking about sending the whole team over......

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    This what you want. This ones is from Grizzly - best price - ships from PA. The 8 ton bottle jack will overstress the plate you sit the wood on if you are not careful. I welded a piece of 1/4" on top to stiffen it and have had no problems. No electric, no gas, less than $100 and you still get a work out.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H8100

natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    My first choice is to send out the teenager. If you must do it yourself, nothing works like a Monster Maul. 12 or 16 pounds of pure log destruction. You will need a man card to use it, but the results are undeniable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom