• Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region

LuckyShot

Pissing off Liberals
    Apr 13, 2010
    on 270
    one of the reasons why i've never believed in a truck gun. If i'm not there...neither is the gun.

Make sure you got full coverage on your cars and make friends with a parts guy for windows.

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    Insurance rates have been increasing across the board, including auto insurance. Do insurance companies benefit from more crime or is it a wash with the increase in claims?

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Insurance companies will always try to come out ahead. Increased rates will pay for any losses.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    How effective do you think this Auto Theft Unit will be?

Why isn’t MoCo PD using bait cars?
    How effective do you think the legal system will be in incarcerating the thieves?

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Insurance rates have been increasing across the board, including auto insurance. Do insurance companies benefit from more crime or is it a wash with the increase in claims?
    The rates are filed and approved by the state. Any increase must be backed by actuarial data.

Inflationary pressures and auto theft are increasing costs, not profit.

Last edited:

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    one of the reasons why i've never believed in a truck gun. If i'm not there...neither is the gun.

Make sure you got full coverage on your cars and make friends with a parts guy for windows.
    It's time:

That addresses the vehicle part at least.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    It's time:

That addresses the vehicle part at least.

****Yea. I have kill switches on my nicer cars. Also tracking and remote disable. Kill switches are easy to install on older cars and newer ones generally not so easy (Usually you use a circuit that kills fuel or spark..) but it can keep your car from being stolen from amateur thieves.

Some more expensive cars have anti-carjacking systems as well and the car will run for a bit and just shut off and call the police or a company number (think ADT but for cars) that will verify if it really is a carjacking and then call the police or take some other measures like setting of an alarm after shutting the car off, locking the doors, etc.. There's usually GPS tracking as well, and redundant systems with battery backup, etc..

If a pro thief wants the car, they will get it - but most thieves are just opportunists and not some sophisticated thief with high tech tools and an EE degree to circumvent anti-theft measures, etc..

Driving a piece of junk car is probably a decent theft deterrent in some ways.. :lol:

matrix3.jpg

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    ****Yea. I have kill switches on my nicer cars. Also tracking and remote disable. Kill switches are easy to install on older cars and newer ones generally not so easy (Usually you use a circuit that kills fuel or spark..) but it can keep your car from being stolen from amateur thieves.

Some more expensive cars have anti-carjacking systems as well and the car will run for a bit and just shut off and call the police or a company number (think ADT but for cars) that will verify if it really is a carjacking and then call the police or take some other measures like setting of an alarm after shutting the car off, locking the doors, etc.. There's usually GPS tracking as well, and redundant systems with battery backup, etc..

If a pro thief wants the car, they will get it - but most thieves are just opportunists and not some sophisticated thief with high tech tools and an EE degree to circumvent anti-theft measures, etc..

Driving a piece of junk car is probably a decent theft deterrent in some ways.. :lol:

View attachment 419144
    Very interesting! Thanks.

I hope other carmakers adopt this:

What if someone steals your car? It’s a question we hear a lot — “can OnStar locate my car?” We sure can. Once law enforcement confirms your vehicle has been stolen, our Advisors use GPS to help authorities find your vehicle. But that’s just the beginning. When it’s safe, we’ll work with authorities to remotely slow it down.*  And with Remote Ignition Block™,*  we can also remotely prevent a thief from restarting your vehicle. If your vehicle is stolen, the OnStar theft protection team has your back. And your car. Our Advisors work with law enforcement to help you get your vehicle back quicker and safer.

It's the only way this stops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom