• ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Come onnnnnn.......

starshiptroopers2.jpg

NPH was in it? Just thought he was some gay, dope smoker from Harold and Kunmar

That's my post, I guess it will have to do unless it gets deleted or you find one better.

J/K...I hear there is going to be a remake that will be a lot closer and truer to the book.

Not many people know it but Starship Troopers is on the reading list for many Officer development courses.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    Your skin in the game theory is flawed, if not outright stupid---I believe both. When I originally enlisted in the USAF, I owned no property and by the time I purchased property, I had served well over 5 years. As for as not having skin in the game before I purchased property, I find your theory not only flawed and stupid, I also find it insulting to myself and to all those who have served that did not own property. IMO we most certainly had/have skin in the game. To all those who believe the way you do, it is your right, but as far as I'm concerned, you know what part of my anatomy you can kiss....:thumbsup:
    Fred

Already addressed and solved the issue above, thank you for your service.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    So property owners , whatever that is, and people who serve in the military are not "totally retarded" but everyone else is.
    You are the one that is totally retarded.

Tapatalk is crashing crap

Nope, not at all, I know many brilliant people who rent and this would impact them, I know. I was referring to the sucking pits that are our inner cities that pull this country down because they figured out they can vote money in their pockets and don't have to work for it.

Why would I call people like you retarded?

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Nope, not at all, I know many brilliant people who rent and this would impact them, I know. I was referring to the sucking pits that are our inner cities that pull this country down because they figured out they can vote money in their pockets and don't have to work for it.

Why would I call people like you retarded?

People like me?? I own property and a vet. My statement stands.

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    Obviously, requiring property ownership to vote is not a good option. I do believe some knowledge of the Constitution and a limited knowledge of US History should be required to vote. I think these are things that should be taught in HS, and a test similar to the US Citizen test should be required to graduate. Then, either a HS diploma would be required to vote, or you could take the US Citizenship Test if you do not have a HS diploma.

And I understand that progressives will argue that even this is unfair, because it does discriminate towards the poor, as they have the highest rate of HS dropouts, illiteracy, etc. but I think those progressives take advantage of the ignorant in their own right, convincing them to blindly vote for their progressive agenda.

I also think that welfare recipients should be required to pass drug tests and perform a certain amount of community service per month...but that's another topic.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    People like me?? I own property and a vet. My statement stands.

So does mine where I said that anyone who serves should be included, property owner or not. I am sorry that my post sounded like I was calling all renters retards, I would never be so general is my dismissals.

JD-IAFF

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 21, 2013
    That can be fixed by an easy carve out.

The goal is to slide the intelligence of the electorate curve back towards "not totally retarded" and when you can eliminate 5 million of the dumbest by doing this, why not?

Really?? This is what we've been reduced to? We can't convince this person or that person, so we'll just block them from voting altogether?

You need to take caution with that line of thinking. Aside from the glaring constitutional problems, if we buy into the premise that we can block them from voting, what's to prevent them from blocking us from voting?

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    Obviously, requiring property ownership to vote is not a good option. I do believe some knowledge of the Constitution and a limited knowledge of US History should be required to vote. I think these are things that should be taught in HS, and a test similar to the US Citizen test should be required to graduate. Then, either a HS diploma would be required to vote, or you could take the US Citizenship Test if you do not have a HS diploma.

And I understand that progressives will argue that even this is unfair, because it does discriminate towards the poor, as they have the highest rate of HS dropouts, illiteracy, etc. but I think those progressives take advantage of the ignorant in their own right, convincing them to blindly vote for their progressive agenda.

I also think that welfare recipients should be required to pass drug tests and perform a certain amount of community service per month...but that's another topic.

I believe that citizenship be the only prerequisite to vote, anything else is going to marginalize someone or some group one way or another.

Personally, what you've suggested would affect me since I am a high school drop out. I have been working since I left school, moved out one week after I turned 18, financed my first car at 20 and bought my first home at 25. I have also taken the initiative to educate myself since I was too lazy and didn't apply myself as a teenager while in school. That is something I am not proud of, but it is the truth. I've voted in every election since I was eligible and registered, and I took the time to learn the issues and research a candidates or topic before going to the polling place. If a candidate or issue was out of my grasp or I knew little of or about, I would —and still do cast a no-vote on the ballot.

My point is, by placing restrictions on voting, it will affect persons who vote properly and for the right reasons.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    You have to be 18 to vote right? Well I'd require a HS diploma or equiv to vote. It's not a hard bar at all. I'd require an ID to vote, and passing a citizenship test. There is no excuse for immigrants getting better scores on the test than people being born in America. In fact, I'd treat children as having the same citizenship as parents until they hit 18 and can pass the test. No more anchor babies. If people can't or don't understand what America is supposed to be about, they shouldn't have a voice in the future direction of the country.

You lose voting privileges while you are on the dole.

No tax based on income at all. Budget must be scaled to GDP of previous year.

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Honestly, I can't believe we devolved into this discussion on this thread. I guess only property owners should have full rights?? What kind of stupid reasoning is this? I'm a property owner and I served my country... and of all the threads I've read on MDS this takes the cake for leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Sorta like SB281 in the quantity of stupid in this idea.

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    I believe that citizenship be the only prerequisite to vote, anything else is going to marginalize someone or some group one way or another.

Personally, what you've suggested would affect me since I am a high school drop out. ....I've voted in every election since I was eligible and registered, and I took the time to learn the issues and research a candidates or topic before going to the polling place.

My suggestion was that if you didn't have a HS diploma, you would simply take a citizenship test to register. It is required for immigrants to become citizens and vote. I'd wager a bet that you could pass a citizenship test.

But to further your own argument regarding marginalization, why stop at US citizens? There are millions of "undocumented workers" who will live there entire lives in the US, contributing to the economy, and even paying taxes. Why should they not have the right to vote? Also, before the 14th amendment was ratified (1868), citizenship was not even mentioned in the Constitution.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    SO back to my OP.

Is the "fix" simply voter reorganization?

If you kick the current people out how would you prevent them from coming back in.

I think term limits would be an easy method to try and fix the crap storm we have now but what about at a revolution stage? How would you get it in the Constitution and be able to not be a hypocrite?

The Constitution allows for us the people to amend it at any time. Getting an amendment is tough but lets say you kicked everyone out and wanted to "add" to the Constitution. Is that right? How do you prevent this same problem from reoccurring?

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    http://news.yahoo.com/meet-journalism-professor-says-nra-members-treasonous-executed-111814197.html

Here is an outrageous article of a professor who calls the NRA traitors and deserving a 'firing squad'? Sounds like a Nazi to me.

What the... how is this relevant to the discussion?

Anyway, I'll try to jump start based off the OP.

I think that an uprising or replacement of government would be problematic because yes, there quite a many people who aren't involved with or at least care to educate themselves about politics and government. We have a people problem that is the root cause of many problems that have existed since the dawn of civilization.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom