• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have a bunch for the Mosins, because I bought all that crap when it was cheap. Have spare Mossberg 500 parts, spare extractors for the AKs, spare parts kits for the ARs. Hell, spare entire uppers for the ARs. Each gun I hand down to the kids will have a pretty basic manual, and a few parts, and a can of ammo as well.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Well...they are all over the floor.....

No joke. My wife found one in the light fixture in the kitchen. I looked everywhere for that damn thing. Months later, she finds it. Haven't lost one since I got this.

Attachments

• 20220210_224508.jpg
      20220210_224508.jpg
      19.6 KB · Views: 191

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    It just makes good sense to keep spare parts around especially for handguns. The Glocks can hold smalls parts in the grips.
    As for my rifles, no spare parts, just extra rifles

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Well...they are all over the floor.....

Not all over. But if push came to shove there is likely at least one behind a shelf in my reloading room.

Likely along with at least a few primers. I’ll move some day and probably find it, a dozen primers and my dillo bottle opener (no I don’t drink and reload, but the damn thing disappeared in my basement weeks ago and I assume the reloading room gnome stole it and took it to its home. Along with primers and probably some socks from the wash).

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    My spare parts are working backup firearms.... in a very wide variety of calibers. Primary plan is dig in and fortify rather than than bug out... but if we have to bug out, I have multiples that my family will carry and a spare or two. I don't want to have to worry about fixing something as critical as a firearm while bugging out... just shelve it and draw another.

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    Here is a list for extra Glock parts that I kept on hand. Sorry couldn’t be more helpful on other brands. Glock is very reliable but it can still break, mostly due to human error and you will see them here:

Magazine/springs/follower: get a bunch new mags if you don't want to deal with rebuild. Magazine usually is the first part that fails or most of feeding failures came from. You can rebuild old magazine by replacing the follower and spring (for those of your remember the pre-90 LE only high cap mags). Go with Glock OEM springs or Wolff heat treated springs. But still, IMO once rebuilt they should be range only.

Front sights: If you planning on keep your OEM plastic front sight, you do want to keep front sight post in stock. Or might as well get iron/night sights while you are at it. It’s important to replace the plastic front sight, it is a cost-reducing part. If you are planning racking the slide with your sights, replace them.

RSA: Recoil Spring Assembly, other than magazine, another item that can cause feeding problem or out of battery. Gen4 and the slim line Glocks had some issue with RSA coming out of factory line. Make sure you order the most current and updated RSA. Check Glock’s website under download, the armor’s order form usually shown the latest part #. Glock recommend replace RSA every 5k rounds (or 7500, can’t remember). Personally I think they last significantly longer than that, YMMV.

Extractor, add a few dollars to get the plunger and spring. Case shaving can get collected in this area. Extractor is rather strong. If it’s bad you will notice it immediately, but to trouble shoot it may take a while to eliminate all other options related to ejection. It rarely goes bad but keep a new one on hand to trouble shoot, process of elimination.

Firing pin spring and the 2 halves of firing pin cup. The cup can go bad if you over clean/full disassemble more than you need, human error, they rarely goes bad on their own. However, most of the time you lose these two parts when taking the firing pin assembly apart, they tend to hit the ceiling and very hard to find unless you have light color flooring.

Firing pin Sleeve, over cleaning can cause the sleeve to crack.

Firing Pin Safety and spring. Some batch of Gen4 firing pin safety (the round one) has coating issue. It’s an eye sore but rarely cause issues.

Trigger with trigger bar. Trigger bar can bent and lock up the slide. Replacing the trigger is not difficult, but it can get annoying when you have a live round in the chamber when slide is locked.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Spare weapons are faster and easier to grab than repairing a broken one, especially if you are taking fire.

Keeping spare parts on hand for the ARs, mainly. Got enough to do another complete build. Planning to grab some 9mm Glock parts, too. Looks like a good idea to have spare recoil spring assemblies and parts kits for the frame and slide. All but one of those in my inventory use the same internal parts.

The AR and Glock platforms were chosen as my defensive tools, specifically because of their standardization and ability to share parts.

If the SHTF, there will be enough of both lying around to scavenge for usable parts and ammunition.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    For the AR:

- firing pins
    - bolts (maybe an extra carrier as well)
    - cam pins
    - extractor, ejector, and springs.
    - spare fire control group springs and pins
    - buffer springs

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads