• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justjcarr

Nov 19, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    Hey all. I just bought my first gun, Ruger 22 Takedown. I'm not particularly fond of the included lock, it's bulky and mars up the stock. I'd much rather have a cable lock.

I know a lot of firearms include them so I was curious if anyone had some collecting dust. Would also be willing to trade you the Ruger steel locking bracket with its 3 inch keyed shackle.

Harford county or eastern Baltimore county preferred.

Thanks all!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

justjcarr

Nov 19, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    What's a lock for?

Not sure if you're serious or not but, because this is my first gun I don't have a safe. At least not one big enough for the 22. The big ass steel shackle ruger provides isnthe same as their traditional long guns bit since this one can be broken down into 2 sections a cable lock could still be used regardless of whether r not the magazine is loaded. Which is a helluva lpt more convenient than what they included.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

justjcarr

Nov 19, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    Thanks everyone for the replies so far. Ill give it a few days before I get back to anyone.

-Jesse

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    I am serious. I'm not sure why people lock their guns. Now maybe I'm a little confused, are you looking to lock it to something to prevent theft? I get that. But I thought most of these locks were to prevent use. Which strikes me as... Well, a bit silly. I don't lock up the knives in the kitchen.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I am serious. I'm not sure why people lock their guns. Now maybe I'm a little confused, are you looking to lock it to something to prevent theft? I get that. But I thought most of these locks were to prevent use. Which strikes me as... Well, a bit silly. I don't lock up the knives in the kitchen.

Do you lock up your weenie? Then why lock up a gun, you can do a lot more damage with the weenie?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    My computer costs more than most guns, I guess I should lock it too. Maybe not.

Have you tried this lock yet? It opens in about 2 seconds and you can open it in the dark.

071649114694lg.jpg

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    If you want cable locks, you can often get them for free from the local police department. Mine used to give out free cable and trigger locks. Most people just took them and used them to lock other things. Just call the non emergency number and ask if they have any free gun locks.

I agree that cable locks are only useful for denying use to someone who physically has access to the gun. I've had to break into my share of cable locks because friends forgot keys for their guns. Two I simply cut open with handheld wire cutters (it was that easy) and on one of them, I ground off the peened ends holding the laminations together, pried the laminations apart with a screw driver, and simply unlatched it. They may be advertised as "CA approved, child resistant locks" but they are not special, indestructible locks.

RJP3579

Mar 10, 2011
    Pasadena, Md
    Baltimore County PD is giving away cable gun locks to county residence at police stations. Up to three per resident. Gotta show proof of residency. May not help the OP but just FYI...

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    If you have kids then yes. Otherwise what's all the concern about?

That's pretty much what I'm getting at.

Do you lock up your weenie? Then why lock up a gun, you can do a lot more damage with the weenie?

Too much rust from lack of use. I'm afraid it'll just jam or misfire.

Idk, I thought that was responsible gun ownership. :confused:

I'm not saying don't get a lock. I'm wondering what the lock is meant to accomplish in your particular circumstances. Like I said, is it to deny others, likely outside the home, from walking with it? Is it to prevent a juvenile or untrained person from using it and harming themselves or someone else? Slapping a lock on 'just cuz' doesn't strike me as being anything other than cargo cult thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom