• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Looking for a good source of dried split peas, black eyed peas, and lentils. Any recommendations?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm seriously not being a smartass, but aren't 1lb bags from the grocery store easier to store?

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Was thinking bulk might cost less. 1-2lb bags of rice cost more per lb than a 25lb bag from Costco but I don't see them carrying other dried staples in bulk. Also, I haven't seen any of the local stores carry more than (maybe) a dozen 1lb bags of any particular legume

I'm seriously not being a smartass, but aren't 1lb bags from the grocery store easier to store?

Moisture and oxygen significantly lower the shelf life.
    I buy the 5lb bags from the grocery store and bake them at 180f for 2hrs (nothing can live through that)
    I then vacuum seal them with desiccant and oxygen absorbers, ensuring the bag is dry and free of oxygen. After that, I seal them in Mylar bags with additional oxygen absorbers.
    I do this with: rice, beans, lentils, split peas, pasta, et al. I feel comfortable saying this method will easily preserve them for well over 10yrs.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Was thinking bulk might cost less. 1-2lb bags of rice cost more per lb than a 25lb bag from Costco but I don't see them carrying other dried staples in bulk. Also, I haven't seen any of the local stores carry more than (maybe) a dozen 1lb bags of any particular legume

Walmart has 8lb pinto bean bags

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    Find someone with an account at Jetro / Restaurant Depot they sell 50 lb bags. My access expired and waiting for my contact to reup his account

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'd think that the way to go for something like this, if you really wanted to go that route would be Amazon. 50 lb bag of pintos runs roughly $100, give or take, shipped to your door. Order a big box of ziploc storage bags at the same time.

Google is your friend.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I think I'm going to make me some pinto beans and ham hocks in the crockpot for tonight.
    Contains no ham. :)

Kosher to boot. :party29:

15 BEAN SOUP® Crock Pot or Slow Cooker Recipe:

https://hurstbeans.com/recipes/15-bean-soup-crock-pot-or-slow-cooker-recipe

15BS-transparent-22-website.png

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Walmart has 8lb pinto bean bags

Just packed 16lbs of these. They sell rice also. Without going to a restaurant supply, which you need an account, the best prices.

Rice - Great Value Long Grain Enriched Rice, 320 oz $8.98 today.
    Great Value Dried Pinto Beans, 8 lb Bag $5.98 today.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Find someone with an account at Jetro / Restaurant Depot they sell 50 lb bags. My access expired and waiting for my contact to reup his account
    Great place to shop, but like Costco in a way: Hard to get in and out with less than several hundred bucks...

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I have some very special, almost magical beans.

I'd be willing to barter for them.

Maybe you got something to trade like a goat or maybe a cow? Just no "WTF Goats", they're the Honey Badgers of the barnyard.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Like everyone dried beans are part of my prepper food stash but they take a lot of energy to prepare. In a grid-down situation you'll be tending a fire for a good while cooking them. No way I'm burning up my propane for an hour or two to boil beans.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Like everyone dried beans are part of my prepper food stash but they take a lot of energy to prepare. In a grid-down situation you'll be tending a fire for a good while cooking them. No way I'm burning up my propane for an hour or two to boil beans.

Pressure cooking is your friend! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom