• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SilentStray

May 18, 2020
    Hello Everyone,

Recently purchased my first home and had my first born, just a week after someone tried to break in and then the pandemic hit.

Installed a whole host of security cameras, security lighting and backup systems for them (Power, offsite backups, etc). Reinforced door jambs and put window film on all first floor windows. Upgraded all entry door screws to those 3" varieties. I was not playing around with my new home or my just started family. Armed myself with a 3 foot 20-lb crowbar and still felt naked.

Once the riots started I felt even more naked and defenseless. My wife and I completed our HQL and are now in the process of purchasing our first firearm that we can afford and that is available through these shortages (Taurus G3).

We have joined the USCCA and are scheduled to take unarmed self defense classes and ongoing firearms training.

The level of relief to actually get to a point where I feel safe and in control is ironically overwhelming.

Last year me would not know who I am.

P.S.....I somehow have a running list of firearms I want......where did this black hole come from????:D

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Hello Everyone,

Recently purchased my first home and had my first born, just a week after someone tried to break in and then the pandemic hit.

Installed a whole host of security cameras, security lighting and backup systems for them (Power, offsite backups, etc). Reinforced door jambs and put window film on all first floor windows. Upgraded all entry door screws to those 3" varieties. I was not playing around with my new home or my just started family. Armed myself with a 3 foot 20-lb crowbar and still felt naked.

Once the riots started I felt even more naked and defenseless. My wife and I completed our HQL and are now in the process of purchasing our first firearm that we can afford and that is available through these shortages (Taurus G3).

We have joined the USCCA and are scheduled to take unarmed self defense classes and ongoing firearms training.

The level of relief to actually get to a point where I feel safe and in control is ironically overwhelming.

Last year me would not know who I am.

P.S.....I somehow have a running list of firearms I want......where did this black hole come from????:D

Welcome, it’s a shame that you had to experience that but it’s a good feeling to be able to defend your loved ones. I have a couple of home defense weapons and I conceal carry for that purpose alone.

I’d suggest also developing a plan for the use of your home defense weapons. For example my line in the sand is the stairs going up to the bedrooms. As long as they don’t come up the stairs they will live.

Don’t wait until you need a plan to develop one. Make sure your home defense weapon has a light on it and night sights.

This is great for an additional layer plus keeps the little ones in.
    https://www.amazon.com/Security-Chi...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2DHSSRA1JY27AT41PQ38

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Welcome. Congrats on the new news. At this point, you'll need to have patience. Everything is in short to non supply. Keep after it.

Last edited:

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Welcome. I became a gun owner at 30 while I was living in a sh!thole apartment in the ghetto. After the third drive-by shooting (that damaged my roommates car) I finally realized that all of the criminals were armed, and I was the only idiot on the block without a firearm. :lol:

SilentStray

May 18, 2020
    Welcome, it’s a shame that you had to experience that but it’s a good feeling to be able to defend your loved ones. I have a couple of home defense weapons and I conceal carry for that purpose alone.

I’d suggest also developing a plan for the use of your home defense weapons. For example my line in the sand is the stairs going up to the bedrooms. As long as they don’t come up the stairs they will live.

Don’t wait until you need a plan to develop one.

Thanks! I hope to take some home defense courses and develop a proper plan in the near future!

Last edited:

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Welcome to MDS , situations in life almost always dictate the direction we must go . Congrats on the new family and the family of guns you may have down the road .

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    Welcome to the family. Now that you are going to own your first firearms, during a buying frenzy (COVID and riots), you're gonna need some ammo. Keep checking here in the MDS Classifieds regularly for your calibers; MDSers sell here now and again. As a second option, Ammoseek.com is a great website for researching current market prices of online retailers, by caliber, brand and price. Gunbroker is an option, but you'll have the additional cost of shipping fees and online bidding wars, but times are desperate.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Hello Everyone,

Recently purchased my first home and had my first born, just a week after someone tried to break in and then the pandemic hit....

I invite you to consider joining MSI and then joining the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore located in Mariottsville. MSI is an associated club and I'd be happy to walk you through a range orientation so you can purchase a range badge.

https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/index.php

https://www.associatedgunclubs.org/

SilentStray

May 18, 2020
    Welcome. Congrats on the new news. At this point, such purchases will rely on patience. Everything is in short to non supply. Keep after it.
    Tell me about it. The 7 and 30 day wait periods boggle my mind. Is the state hoping that you'll change your mind in the meantime? Ridiculous.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Tell me about it. The 7 and 30 day wait periods boggle my mind. Is the state hoping that you'll change your mind in the meantime? Ridiculous.

It's all about setting up roadblocks and hoops to jump through making the process more expensive, confusing and troublesome. But it's the price we pay for them to be able to keep the crime rate in Baltimore so low.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008

Yes the 7 day serves as a cooling off period. It allows me to not use any of my other 80 guns in a moment of passion but wait for my newest gun in order to commit a crime.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Welcome to the forum.

It is nice to be able to make these changes prior to the family being hurt.

Lots of good information and members here.

Enjoy.

The black hole is large and will engulf you.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I have been told by many people they don't buy guns because of the BS required to even buy , possible HQL , training , and paperwork . It is all done in order to get folks to throw their hands up and say no way .

We live in a nanny state , Maryland does not believe you can handle your own business so law makers are like a set of parents we have our entire lives tell us how to do things . It is not a great way to live life .

SilentStray

May 18, 2020
    Welcome. I became a gun owner at 30 while I was living in a sh!thole apartment in the ghetto. After the third drive-by shooting (that damaged my roommates car) I finally realized that all of the criminals were armed, and I was the only idiot on the block without a firearm. :lol:

I wonder how long the wait periods were for those criminals to get their guns. :rolleyes:

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I think the thing I struggle with the most, and it's good for you to consider, the guys coming violently through the door likely don't care about life as much as you and I do, so factor that in. I worry about giving them the benefit of doubt and that may be too long. Complicate that with being in Maryland and under its draconian laws, makes for hesitation. Just run that through you head and get it out of the way, because when the time comes...and we hope it never does...you have less to deal with mentally. If it seems very ugly, then it is and you need to be the winner at all costs.

I accept any and all disagreements with this post.

SilentStray

May 18, 2020
    Welcome to the family. Now that you are going to own your first firearms, during a buying frenzy (COVID and riots), you're gonna need some ammo. Keep checking here in the MDS Classifieds regularly for your calibers; MDSers sell here now and again. As a second option, Ammoseek.com is a great website for researching current market prices of online retailers, by caliber, brand and price. Gunbroker is an option, but you'll have the additional cost of shipping fees and online bidding wars, but times are desperate.
    This info came in clutch, thanks! I found gunbroker through my own research, but I'm not interested in the bidding wars. But like you say, times are tough, so I'll keep an eye on that one too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom