• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I don't know why, but I've had an increasingly strong urge to seek out and buy a WWII FP-45 Liberator. Looks like they are going from 1500 - 1700 for a decent example. That is a lot of money to pay for roughly $1.75 worth of sheet metal, but I'm drawn to the history of the Liberator pistol project and the connection to the French Resistance.

I'm hopeful that the urge will pass... maybe one of you guys can talk me out of it... or point me to a good one for sale :D

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    There was one for sale a few years ago at a local gun shop and had it in my hand but did not have the funds. It was reasonalby priced too!
    I still think about that gun and the missed opportunity.

My advice - If you can find one that is a good vaule. Buy it. You can't take the cash with you.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    You didn't specify and I imagine you want the original made during WW2...but if you are interested Vintage Ordinance.com makes these brand new with all the kit. 550bucks. If a repro would hold you til you find the real deal at a price you can work with. I new the were making reproductions...had to look em up.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I don't know why, but I've had an increasingly strong urge to seek out and buy a WWII FP-45 Liberator. Looks like they are going from 1500 - 1700 for a decent example. That is a lot of money to pay for roughly $1.75 worth of sheet metal, but I'm drawn to the history of the Liberator pistol project and the connection to the French Resistance.

I'm hopeful that the urge will pass... maybe one of you guys can talk me out of it... or point me to a good one for sale :D

Apparently it was $2.10 worth of sheet metal in 1942, if that helps your decision! While it's a cool item and interesting piece of history, I couldn't justify $1500 for that. I'd rather spend 2/3 of that and buy another M1. Now, at a couple hundred bucks, I might be tempted...

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Fellow I was talking to the other day told me that when he was a boy, a neighbor had a crate of Liberators and gave them out to kids "in the neighborhood" as toys...different times!

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Apparently it was $2.10 worth of sheet metal in 1942, if that helps your decision! While it's a cool item and interesting piece of history, I couldn't justify $1500 for that. I'd rather spend 2/3 of that and buy another M1. Now, at a couple hundred bucks, I might be tempted...

About 35 bucks in today dollars

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Sorry not going to be a help here. I found a nice original one including base plate a few years ago for $1,500, which seems about going rate. I find the history behind them extremely fascinating. I don’t have any desire to shoot it, but it’s one of my favorite pistols in my collection and a great conversation piece.

I don’t think they’re quite as rare as their reputation claims...it’s not hard to find a decent one if you do some looking. I think the lack of serial number makes it more difficult to track them and estimate an actual survival rate. My advice if you do go for one, hold out for one that has the original base plate and hasn’t been buffed. These won’t look shiny in original condition, and a lot I have come across look to have been aggressively cleaned at some point. I’ve also see a decent number that bear post-war German proof marks. Whether these were found in Germany after the war, or were imported by German collectors post-war is unclear, but it seems a good handful have made their way back over here. I’d stay away from those as well as that will affect collector value.

Last edited:

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Sorry not going to be a help here. I found a nice original one including base plate a few years ago for $1,500, which seems about going rate. I find the history behind them extremely fascinating. I don’t have any desire to shoot it, but it’s one of my favorite pistols in my collection and a great conversation piece.

I don’t think they’re quite as rare as their reputation claims...it’s not hard to find a decent one if you do some looking. I think the lack of serial number makes it more difficult to track them and estimate an actual survival rate. My advice if you do go for one, hold out for one that has the original base plate and hasn’t been buffed. These won’t look shiny in original condition, and a lot I have come across look to have been aggressively cleaned at some point. I’ve also see a decent number that bear post-war German proof marks. Whether these found in Germany after the war, or were imported by German collectors post-war, it seems a handful have made their way back over here. I’d stay away from those as well as that will affect collector value.

Sound advice. Thanks.

Jul 1, 2012
    Come on and join the club!
    I second KH195 "my advice if you do go for one, hold out for one that has the original base plate and hasn’t been buffed."

Finding one with the original baseplate still intact is very difficult.
    Many have been replaced over the years with "field expedient repairs" as well.
    The same company that repros the whole gun sells the baseplate too.
    Another thing to look for is the zinc cocking knob not being worn from being rotated without being pulled out first.
    I've never seen one that isn't worn like that, though :)

Even though they were only made for a short few weeks there are several variants.

Attachments

• knob.JPG
      knob.JPG
      29.5 KB · Views: 247

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Don't do it! Those things are stupid. I doubt any of them was ever used for it's intended cockamamie purpose.

For some crazy reason, they caught the imagination of a lot of Walter Mitty fantasy-land dreamers, who seem to have a completely mistaken idea of their significance.

In my opinion, they have zero significance as a weapon, unless you are assembling a collection of zip guns. A collection demonstrating how easy it is to make a gun might have educational value, and the "Liberator" (silly name) would be a good example of the wrong approach, because it's made by heavy industry.

The OSS would have done better to make stamped "Ruby" type pistols, or STEN guns... but I digress.

The "Liberator" - a silly name which reveals the fantasy-land mindset of whoever coined the name - has significance only as an example of the sort of nonsensical hare-brained foolishness in which the OSS sometimes entangled itself. My understanding is that production was brief, that very few if any ever left American storage facilities, and that probably not a single one was ever used against an enemy. Apparently the OSS came to their senses and just put them away in storage. Maybe I'm wrong.

Perhaps it has more significance as an example of the sort of foolishness which can cloud the judgement of collectors whose minds are befuddled by fantasy and romanticism.

$1500 for an original is nuts, but $500 for a reproduction is even crazier. I suggest whoever owns one should sell it quick before the market collapses.

---- There now! is that what the OP wanted, to be talked out of it?

Now someone send me the e-mail address of the OP's wife and I'll send her a copy of this post.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Don't do it! Those things are stupid. I doubt any of them was ever used for it's intended cockamamie purpose.

For some crazy reason, they caught the imagination of a lot of Walter Mitty fantasy-land dreamers, who seem to have a completely mistaken idea of their significance.

In my opinion, they have zero significance as a weapon, unless you are assembling a collection of zip guns. A collection demonstrating how easy it is to make a gun might have educational value, and the "Liberator" (silly name) would be a good example of the wrong approach, because it's made by heavy industry.

The OSS would have done better to make stamped "Ruby" type pistols, or STEN guns... but I digress.

The "Liberator" - a silly name which reveals the fantasy-land mindset of whoever coined the name - has significance only as an example of the sort of nonsensical hare-brained foolishness in which the OSS sometimes entangled itself. My understanding is that production was brief, that very few if any ever left American storage facilities, and that probably not a single one was ever used against an enemy. Apparently the OSS came to their senses and just put them away in storage. Maybe I'm wrong.

Perhaps it has more significance as an example of the sort of foolishness which can cloud the judgement of collectors whose minds are befuddled by fantasy and romanticism.

$1500 for an original is nuts, but $500 for a reproduction is even crazier. I suggest whoever owns one should sell it quick before the market collapses.

Now someone send me the e-mail address of the OP's wife and I'll send her a copy of this post.

Spoilsport.

Sound argument, if correct. The existence of examples with German proofs makes me wonder, but these things are far from my area of expertise. (Those individuals who would question the existence of such an area may be onto something).

I'd probably encourage the OP to do what makes him happy. Neither money nor guns last forever. Apparently enough folks find these things interesting to keep the price high, so disenchantment could always lead to recapture of the expenditure, or a part of it.

Life is too short. Happiness is fragile.

Anyone who read the quoted post and who has decided they've been had can sell me their Liberator for a couple hunnert and a beer. Glad to help.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter

Well now.... there you go. And just like that I'm back on the fence ;)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Ah, whaddooeyeno... I really have no opinion one way or t'other.

When repro Sharps Carbines first appeared, I burned for one. But I couldn't afford it. How I wanted one! But too expensive. A few years later I met a skirmisher who had one. I learned that the percussion version I lusted after was a very fussy gun. I was well past my yearning by then.

When the LeMat revolver repros appeared "in strictly limited production runs" I was desperate to get one before they were gone forever. But way too pricey.
    Today they're still available, still pricey, and don't interest me.

Both are far more sensible than a Liberator, though! Not that I have an opinion on them, mind you.

Now an FN Browing 1899 or 1900 mind you... What a cool and significant pistol! Probably the most sensible purchase imaginable.

Forgive me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom