• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    I have a picture of the guys target agter firing those rounds...

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      50.4 KB · Views: 330

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****This happened at our local range as well. Lots of new shooters with little to no experience with firearms that have made this type of mistake or other mistakes that would seem obvious to folks familiar with firearms. I've seen that type of brass in our range bucket before and it was from someone who had a .40 but was sold 9mm ammo.

He had apparently used math (bad math..) to convert .40 to something close to 9mm in his head as he also had a .357 revolver with him using .38 special rounds that worked ok so figured the difference between .40 and 9mm was similar and would work as the rounds held fine by the extractor when cycled as noted above.

As also noted - the gun fired but the bullets seemingly tumbled out of the barrel and went in sideways on the target (classic keyhole) with absolutely atrocious accuracy - but the guy was new to guns anyway so he didn't know any better. The sound of the firearm from using the the mismatched ammo was also very strange which is why other shooters immediately told this guy to stop shooting to find out the issue.

Anyway, this individual just didn't know any better and after being told the problem was also told to take the semi auto gun back to the place purchased or to a gunsmith (he inherited the revolver from a family member that clearly didn't teach him how to use it..) for them to assess if he damaged anything on it for the sake of safety.. Thankfully, he did not get hurt though the brass cycled through that firearm is now just scrap and looked even worse than the pic shown.

I've seen guys load bullets backwards in the magazine, load the bullets in the right direction but somehow load the mag into the well *backwards*, etc..

It happens...

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

I buy brass from gun ranges every week & see this all the time...

9mm's fired in a 40 S&W...

It's about as dumb as it gets...

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I had a hell of a time trying to fix a guys gun on the range when he fired 3 inch 410 shells in his 2 1/2" chambered judge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom