• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Giving back and putting yourself in harms way unarmed is two different things.

Pulling up to 7-11 to get a soda and strolling into an armed robbery while in a marked police car and being unarmed/trained is a fools move....unless you think the bad guy might realize the brown shirt means he's not armed and wont try and kill him.

Sure the odds of that are slim but it's still a possibility and a risk I wouldnt recommend people to do.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    Giving back and putting yourself in harms way unarmed is two different things.

Pulling up to 7-11 to get a soda and strolling into an armed robbery while in a marked police car and being unarmed/trained is a fools move....unless you think the bad guy might realize the brown shirt means he's not armed and wont try and kill him.

Sure the odds of that are slim but it's still a possibility and a risk I wouldnt recommend people to do.

I can see you are very sour in the matter, and fyi, their shirts are dark now, not brown. I see your fundamental point but these are risks factors known thus being a volunteer part time, your risk factor is being a target on a fulltime basis and getting paid for it. You can still pull up to that 711 and get ambushed while an armed robbery is going on. I think credit is owed more than pissed on.

Alexandria Police officer is a faint example of that. He couldn't even draw his weapon. So there are risk factors with every variable you can throw against the Aux Officers.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I would do a reserve unit, I am thought about the Aux police in Bel Air Md. but in my present job dont know if I would have the time to give.

I also have a concern about how much the Aux. guys appear to be full LEO. You cant deny this can put them in harms way. However I do know the Bel Air PD trains them and it seems to be a good program.

I have always wondered why agencies dont have a reserve unit in case of big disasters, etc. Seems to me a good idea to have a bunch of sworn officers ready to go if needed. Could be modeled after the national or state guard units.

Hey, lets start a MDShooters LEO agency.............All we need is permission from the Gov to................... oh nevermind.:sad20:
    TD

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    The only way I would do it, is if I could drive a Gremlin and carry an AK-47 like sheriff Bob on Justified!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    1st item - The concept of Citozen Volenteers for LE (nationwide) runs the full gamit . From answering the phones and taking out the trash at the station , to essentially full time LEO , just w/ a tax deduction instead of a paycheck , with multiple steps inbetween. All depends on the laws , and the regs of the respective LE Acredation agency ( POST , etc ) .

2nd Item - (at least in terms of participating agencies ) This used to be near standard , but is reducing. The flip side of " better traine , more professional Police " is that it is increasing harder for part time/ volenteer Ofc to comply. Some states do have seperate certification tracks for full time. And part time/ vols , but the trend is going the other way. Until a few years ago the loophole in Md was that Ofc had to be firearm qualified before being armed on duty, but had a year after being hired/ apointed to attend the Academy. Of course then the par time / vol Ofcs would offically resign after 11mo 29days , and be re sworn in 48hrs later. Of course by the ends years , the practice was rarely done due to concerns over potential liability and/ or extremely bad publicity if a minority group member would be injured or shot.

In the good old days ( '30s , '40s , '50s ) in his Nebraska hometown , my late FIL would be Deputized on the spot whenever there was a disturbance , and the Town Marshall need help.

In the modern time , the trend to higher standards can have unintended consequencies. Currently there is no path to certification other than the usual full time Academy. Spot checking a rural County I am familiar with , the Deputy Salery is about $18K/ yr , with minimal benefits , no family coverage , and no retirement. That's effectivly making a job requirement to be corrupt to survive. If it were possable , they could attract beter , and more honest ofcs with early retorees , and people with real jobs who want to help their community a la VFD service , than full times at literal starvation wages forcing them to the dark side to put food on the table.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I can't currently get my *edit* fiunction to behave. The example of Deputy Saleries at the end of above post was refering to the situation in West Virginia. The present day situitation in Nebraska I'd have to research. Sorry for the confusion.

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County

How do you assess the risk to a VFD member compared to police auxiliary?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Do they get turn out gear? Hoses with water?

I assess it not to be the same at all.

They have the proper equipment to do their job.

They are also required to have the exact same level of training as a paid FF (In the state of MD), before even stepping off of the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom