• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Obi-Wan Clandestine can wave his hand and say " These aren't the rust you are looking for" :) Just kidding.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Alright you two. What were we talking about? Oh yeah, rusty pipes. Paging Teratos!:D

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have a smoothbore shotgun barrel I bought low since it appeared to have rust. I scrubbed it, cleaned it, oiled it, let it set, repeat, ended with dry patching it. What appeared to be pitting was minimized. Next time I checked it same thing, nasty looking 'hair' in the bore with the pitting, I thought it was metal lifting from subsurface rust (it travels underneath the surface sometimes). Same routine, different color patches. I did it so many times O ended up with a clean, smooth bore. Must have been ALOT of rounds rounds through the barrel without cleaning it by the previous owner. I guess it was plastic wad and piwde fouling in layers.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Dissolved copper would come out blue...

greenish, actually.

I know this from personal experience when I thought I had ruined a barrel by leaving a crap load of ballistol in the bore.

Green "pitting" all on the inside.

One pull of the bore snake and all of it came out and left behind the cleanest bore ever.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    OK an update!

Took Mr. RRA out today to AGC, at the end of the day.

Put a fairly quick 100 or so rounds through it. Put it away in the case nice and hot, and took it home. Of course also did some BSing with Alex, met Plinkerton, and a heck of a nice guy who drove a convertible and took crap for it for no apparent reason. But I digress.

With the barrel still very warm, (not hot) I ran 5 soaking wet balistol laden patches through it. Did 5 runs of bore brush, and then 3 more wet patches and several dry patches.

Well, whatever was in there is gone. nothing appears to be raised, and the surface seems smooth enough. It must have been REALLY DIRTY because every patch came out with dirt on it, especially after the bore brushing. Thinking my cleaning-foo needs some work.

I am going to monitor it. If it comes back, I will take Clandestine up on his offer to take a look.

Appreciate all of the help and guidance, and even didn't mind that the thread went "somewhere else". That is just how the AGC community works, and I totally love that. :o

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    If you want my assistance, well meet somewhere. Let me know.

Chad, you are some kind of human.

Can't blame you for wanting to use your toys though, that borescope is so cool! During class I was all
    "This looks great for having so many rounds down it, chrome looks good- wait a minute... NOT MY GAS HOLE!"

I could even see how the copper hugged the ONE SIDE of the grooves that was in the direction the bullet was being forced to spin.

out of this world!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    OK an update!

Took Mr. RRA out today to AGC, at the end of the day.

Put a fairly quick 100 or so rounds through it. Put it away in the case nice and hot, and took it home. Of course also did some BSing with Alex, met Plinkerton, and a heck of a nice guy who drove a convertible and took crap for it for no apparent reason. But I digress.

With the barrel still very warm, (not hot) I ran 5 soaking wet balistol laden patches through it. Did 5 runs of bore brush, and then 3 more wet patches and several dry patches.

Well, whatever was in there is gone. nothing appears to be raised, and the surface seems smooth enough. It must have been REALLY DIRTY because every patch came out with dirt on it, especially after the bore brushing. Thinking my cleaning-foo needs some work.

I am going to monitor it. If it comes back, I will take Clandestine up on his offer to take a look.

Appreciate all of the help and guidance, and even didn't mind that the thread went "somewhere else". That is just how the AGC community works, and I totally love that. :o

My most sincere apologies, I meant no harm. Sometimes trouble follows me. :)

Chad, you are some kind of human.

Can't blame you for wanting to use your toys though, that borescope is so cool! During class I was all
    "This looks great for having so many rounds down it, chrome looks good- wait a minute... NOT MY GAS HOLE!"

I could even see how the copper hugged the ONE SIDE of the grooves that was in the direction the bullet was being forced to spin.

out of this world!

Thank you. I must say your "gas hole" comment has me in tears. :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom