• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twanger

DINO and NRA Life
    Mar 4, 2013
    Poolesville
    Went to the range Sunday morning to verify zero on the White Rifles M97 451-cal inline and to shoot the new AR-15 5.56 I just built. I didn't expect much in the way of groups with the 5.56 because all I had with me was a 4-th tier scope that was too crappy to put on anything, and some iron sights that I expected to run out of adjustment before getting zeroed (and they did). However, the 5.56 cycled just fine (shot about 60 rounds) with never a mis-fire and it was grouping about as well as could be expected at 50 yards.

Here's a couple of pics...
    AR-15
    556_build.JPG

White Rifles M97
    White_Rifles_Blacktail_451_22in_bbl1.jpg

The M97 shoots this 460grain beast using 70 grains of T72F for 1250 fps.
    Sadly, Hunter280man no longer can make me bullets. His gear got destroyed.
    I've found nothing else that shoots as well as that Magtip flying trash-can.
    I'm coveting the last few bullets I have - a couple of hundred or so.
    Then they are gone forever.

hunterman_451_460gr_magtip_boolet_gc1.jpg

When accuracy is important I turn to the White Rifles M97. I got very lucky when I ordered this rifle years ago the dealer had the recoil lugs bedded and the barrel floated from the stock, which is composite and sealed. It's got a 22-inch 451-cal stainless barrel that has been black-iced. It is the most accurate gun I own - and that includes all the centerfire guns.

I never know what I'm gonna get at the range. Some days I simply can't shoot, and other days the wind ruins the game. However, Sunday it all came together.

Here's a 3-shot group at 50 yards.
    Ballistics say it should be 1.9-inches high at 50 yards when zero'd for 90 yards.
    Looks about right!
    M97_50yds_092213.JPG

Then back to 100 yards.
    I swabbed the bore between shots for this 3 shot group that looks like two shots.
    The bullet hole in the upper left is actually two bullet holes that are nearly right on top of each other. It's just slightly elongated.
    The large grid size is 1-inch on this paper.
    This is the first half-inch 3 shot group I've ever shot at 100 yards with any gun.
    Kinda proud of that.
    I'm gonna shed a tear when all of these bullets are gone.

M97_100yds_092213_swab_between_shots.jpg

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Twanger
    That's an awesome group. I know if you put in the time and get right powder and bullet combo, they can be scary accurate. Of course a great platform helps too. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom