Some questions for the folks in the know here.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    I am interested in buying a suppressor for my 10/22 and possibly building an AR/SBR. No interest in full autos. I don't want to set up a trust so is my only other option driving halfway across the state? Is it correct that some county sheriffs will sign-off for you? Does it have to be the sheriff from the county I reside in? Where do you get the proper fingerprint cards from? Thanks for any help. I am sure I will have more questions.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Part of submitting the federal paperwork is getting approval from you "Chief Law Enforcement Officer" (CLEO). This requires a background investigation by MSP. AFAIK, the paperwork can be submitted by mail, but you need to be fingerprinted. I got mine done at Pikesville, but it would seem that other places would work. I'd suggest calling MSP Licensing and asking the question.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Here in our county the sheriff will do the fingerprinting and Cleo sign off. Last I heard Pikesville was taking 3 months to do that. Here it can be done in an hour or so. Contact your local Sheriff and ask him if he will do it. He is legally allowed to, and all he has to do is a quick background check to see that you have a clean record. If he has any questions about the legalities of it, he can contact the NFA branch or Pikesville MSP firearms registration section. Be forewarned, most local authorities don't understand class 3 regulations and don't want to get involved. So approach them politely and ask them to look into it if they don't understand.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    No need to have MSP do the check if your local LEO's are willing to sign off. It seems that some of the larger counties are less then willing.

The samller ones (less populated) have sherriff's that are willing to help out and preform the nessary sign off.

Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    Does it have to be the sheriff from my county of residence or can it be any county sheriff ? I don't know if I would want to ask the Somerset Cty sheriff but I would try the Wicomico Cty sheriff.

Last edited:

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    It must be someone with jurisdiction over your residence. MSP, your county sheriff or if you live in a large town/city then the chief of police. Judges that have jurisdiction over the entire county can also sign off, or anyone in an official position that has to do with felony prosecutions.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I have heard it said that the state's attorney in your county can sign, but I would check with NFA and not take my word for that. Another thing to consider is a trust. That negates the need for the LE sign off, and can have other benifits. I have never done one, but others on here have. Check out the threads on here about the trust.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    The only reason I've heard the ATF deny a signature were for either the wrong position (judge could not hear felony cases) or wrong jurisdiction (next county over, etc). They'll accept pretty much anyone's John Hancock if they meet those two criteria.

IlikeNFA

Certified Gear Queer
    Aug 27, 2008
    Goodbye MD, Hello freedom
    Has anyone gone through this process in Montgomery County?

I purchased some NFA items last year and I live in MoCo. I went through Pikesville however because I was unaware at the time I could at least attempt it here. My process was smooth...got my paperwork back from MSP in 3 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom