Some intersting opinions on Garrett County..

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Ultimate Member
    Uh, the Potomac doesn't run through GC at all. But the Eastern Continental Divide runs roughly through eastern GC if that is what you are getting at. West of that the creeks and rivers flow to the Gulf. east they run to the Atlantic.

what do you call that thing that flows on the South border then? It looks like it contributes to the Potomac at some point.

Can you ride a canoe down that to the Potomac and then to DC?

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    what do you call that thing that flows on the South border then? It looks like it contributes to the Potomac at some point.

Can you ride a canoe down that to the Potomac and then to DC?

"South Branch river" ( not the Potomac) There is also a "North branch". It doesn't actually flow through Garrett County.

Last edited:

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    thanks. there is a lot of green out there so I am not sure.

I have been to Greenridge State Forest a lot, but never that far West in MD to do hiking.

if I remember correctly this trail will take you right by the site where the B-52 crashed with Nukes on it back in the 60's.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1998-05-25/features/1998145065_1_b-52-crash-garrett-county-cross

Oh and if you look really close through the trees while hiking on this trail you will see a loghome sitting all alone in a field on top of Savage Mt. ( thats my house)

Last edited:

Ultimate Member
    if I remember correctly this trail will take you right by the site where the B-52 crashed with Nukes on it back in the 60's.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1998-05-25/features/1998145065_1_b-52-crash-garrett-county-cross

Oh and if you look really close through the trees while hiking on this trail you will see a loghome sitting all alone in a field on top of Savage Mt. ( thats my house)

That is pretty cool about the B-52. I'll have to try it when I have time.

How do you get internet at your house?

Wahama90

Sidling Hill is the dividing point. I spent the first 6 years out of high school at "The Lake" then another 3 years down the mountain at Frostburg. I played baseball/basketball at GCC, baseball at FSU and coached baseball at both schools. There is nothing like shoveling snow off a baseball diamond in May while you are watching skiers go down the slopes. I can honestly say that I've walked to school during a blizzard, 38" in 13 hours Dec. 1992.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Sidling Hill is the dividing point. I spent the first 6 years out of high school at "The Lake" then another 3 years down the mountain at Frostburg. I played baseball/basketball at GCC, baseball at FSU and coached baseball at both schools. There is nothing like shoveling snow off a baseball diamond in May while you are watching skiers go down the slopes. I can honestly say that I've walked to school during a blizzard, 38" in 13 hours Dec. 1992.

adjusterr

Mar 28, 2011
    Indian Springs, Western MD
    I think "Western Maryland" is a state of mind rather than a specific location. I live up on the East side of a mountain at Indian Springs and I certainly consider myself in Western Maryland. I know for sure, if I didn't have the great location I have, I would be in Garrett County in a flash. Even with all the crap originating in our government in Annapolis, MD is still a beautiful state. If we all work hard, maybe the 2012 election will root out the gun grabbers.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    I think "Western Maryland" is a state of mind rather than a specific location. I live up on the East side of a mountain at Indian Springs and I certainly consider myself in Western Maryland. I know for sure, if I didn't have the great location I have, I would be in Garrett County in a flash. Even with all the crap originating in our government in Annapolis, MD is still a beautiful state. If we all work hard, maybe the 2012 election will root out the gun grabbers.

i really like the way you think. the state of mind thing, and the political stuff. and besides every little bit counts. i know my vote counts, even if it's just one vote. :thumbsup:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I'm heading up that way this weekend. Rented a cabin at Savage River and will be teaching a class in LaVale on Saturday. Working vacation.

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    I apologize in advance for not reading all the posts but time is limited... Some (gun related) history, the Western MD. coalition of Sportsmens Clubs includes Carrol and Fred. Co.'s. There was once an off the cuff discussion among some representitives of same on a trip back from lobbying in Annapolis to float a proposal for Wash. Alleg. & Gar. counties to seceed and join up with WV! A bit tongue in cheek but it was talked about.:rolleyes:

Considering that the sec. of state for WV once extended an offer to Purto Rico to become part of WV...:innocent0

In the end though for political purposes, geography has nothing to do with it. Balt., Howard, AA, P.G. & Mont. counties have more representitives in Annapolis than the other eighteen counties of the state combined. :sad20:

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.

Considering that the sec. of state for WV once extended an offer to Purto Rico to become part of WV...:innocent0

did this really happen!?

In the end though for political purposes, geography has nothing to do with it. Balt., Howard, AA, P.G. & Mont. counties have more representitives in Annapolis than the other eighteen counties of the state combined. :sad20:

I know, sad isn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom