• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    Doesnt the final bill specifically exclude C&R firearms?

Wouldnt that mean, regardless of the firearm's configuration, it would still be legal because it's a C&R (the M1 carbine being discussed)?

Maybe I totally made all of that up... feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on all of the above.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Doesnt the final bill specifically exclude C&R firearms?

Wouldnt that mean, regardless of the firearm's configuration, it would still be legal because it's a C&R (the M1 carbine being discussed)?

Maybe I totally made all of that up... feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on all of the above.

There is no mention of C&R ... they don't know what it is or how to deal with it.

I think they may also be afraid of federal interstate pre-emption, 'cause C&R is FFL03

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    M1 carbine is not on the list, but it could possibly be in a banned configuration.

A M1 carbine with the paratrooper folding stock AND a flashider is in a configuration that is(will be) banned.

A M1 Carbine with a normal stock and a flashider is fine.
    A M1 carbine witrh a folding stock and no flashider is fine.

http://www.icollector.com/U-S-I-B-M...der-M1A1-Paratrooper-Stock-and-Scope_i9752555

Are M-1 carbines regulated or cash and carry? I know its some what off topic, but i'm just wondering.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    There is no mention of C&R ... they don't know what it is or how to deal with it.

I think they may also be afraid of federal interstate pre-emption, 'cause C&R is FFL03

There is mention of C&Rs, with regards to the HCL, C&R handguns are exempt from the HQL requirement.

Rouser

Proud Eastern Shoreman
    Jul 27, 2012
    Wicomico & Talbot Cos.
    So, after all the comments and discussion on SKS rifles, I still am not certain if they are now banned completely or are certain configurations still legal to purchase and own in Maryland? I have just recently become interested in this model of rifle for the first time and was contemplating a purchase when a friend tells me that they are now banned in MD. Is the Russian SKS in its original configuration with the built in 10 round magazine and bayonet still legal to purchase in the state of MD?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    So, after all the comments and discussion on SKS rifles, I still am not certain if they are now banned completely or are certain configurations still legal to purchase and own in Maryland? I have just recently become interested in this model of rifle for the first time and was contemplating a purchase when a friend tells me that they are now banned in MD. Is the Russian SKS in its original configuration with the built in 10 round magazine and bayonet still legal to purchase in the state of MD?

Yes.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    The 10 round fixed magazine is still legal in MD. Grab one of the early Chinese SKS's before the supply dries up.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    there are good type 56 carbines available right now for VERY good prices. The metal and stocks are a bit worn, but as long as you get one with a chrome lined bore, which is MOST of them, but not ALL of the Sino Soviets, then they are GREAT shooters.

And before you start in on me, I bought a couple of the Sino Soviets on sale now, and two of the many were not chrome lined due to being extremely early production, possibly just re-stamped early manufacture russians.

From the make of the bolt and extractor springs, I would say I am correct about this.

Rouser

Proud Eastern Shoreman
    Jul 27, 2012
    Wicomico & Talbot Cos.
    there are good type 56 carbines available right now for VERY good prices. The metal and stocks are a bit worn, but as long as you get one with a chrome lined bore, which is MOST of them, but not ALL of the Sino Soviets, then they are GREAT shooters.

And before you start in on me, I bought a couple of the Sino Soviets on sale now, and two of the many were not chrome lined due to being extremely early production, possibly just re-stamped early manufacture russians.

From the make of the bolt and extractor springs, I would say I am correct about this.

any suggestions where those good deals are right now, or do I need to go find them myself?? I was actually looking to find a good price on a Russian SKS from the early 1950s. But I'm always open to a good bargain.
    And thanks for the responses!!!

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    As I understand it, Russian SKS's generally command the premium price among SKS's. A "deal" on a Russian is going to be a lot more than most SKS's

Beretta950BS

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2013
    Palm Coast FL
    Last night there was a marathon deliberation on SB 281, which is ostensibly an assault weapons ban. An amendment was proposed to exempt antique firearms, but under pressure from Senator Frosh, the committee chairman, the amendment was withdrawn. Given the discussion it was clear that none of the committee members understood what C&R firearms are, or how they are regulated by the BATF.

SB281 Page .02 Generally [page 3]

E. This chapter does not apply to:
    (1) The sale, transfer, or possession of an antique firearm;
    (2) A firearm modified to render it permanently inoperative;
    (3) An unserviceable firearm sold, transferred, or possessed as a curio or museum piece;

Rouser

Proud Eastern Shoreman
    Jul 27, 2012
    Wicomico & Talbot Cos.

any suggestions where those good deals are right now, or do I need to go find them?? :innocent0 I was actually looking to find a good price on a Russian SKS from the early 1950s. But I'm always open to a good bargain.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    any suggestions where those good deals are right now, or do I need to go find them?? :innocent0 I was actually looking to find a good price on a Russian SKS from the early 1950s. But I'm always open to a good bargain.

Classic has early Chinese (some are true Sino-Soviets) at:

http://www.classicfirearms.com/c-r-eligible/chicomsks

It's highly unlikely that you are going to find a source of "bargain" Russian SKSs from the '50s. Everyone else here is looking for the same thing. Occasionally, someone here gets one at a local auction, estate sale, etc., for a good price, but the ones on places like GB tend to be high.

However ... if one of the importers should happen to show up with a cache of the things, someone here will post that info on the "In Stock Now" thread ... AFTER they order all they plan to get!

Rouser

Proud Eastern Shoreman
    Jul 27, 2012
    Wicomico & Talbot Cos.
    Classic has early Chinese (some are true Sino-Soviets) at:

http://www.classicfirearms.com/c-r-eligible/chicomsks

It's highly unlikely that you are going to find a source of "bargain" Russian SKSs from the '50s. Everyone else here is looking for the same thing. Occasionally, someone here gets one at a local auction, estate sale, etc., for a good price, but the ones on places like GB tend to be high.

However ... if one of the importers should happen to show up with a cache of the things, someone here will post that info on the "In Stock Now" thread ... AFTER they order all they plan to get!

Thanks for the info Machdoc! We'll see what comes along.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

I agree. Specifically regarding early Russian SKS's, it's buyer beware. Every one I've looked at in person lately has been north of $500 and every last one had mismatched or incorrect parts and/or an incorrect Bubba refinish of the wood.

Buyers who don't know what they're looking for should either:
    1) Buy what's currently in stock at a good C&R dealer like Classic, or
    2) Wait it out until a place like Classic gets in what you want.
    Otherwise you risk overpaying by $200 to $400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom