• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    Gave a basic pistol course last weekend and thought I'd share a couple of things on my mind since then. Simple things most of you probably already know, but still important.

1) Ammo. A shooter had a 1911 Commander style 9mm and was shooting unsatisfactory groups. I shot a 12 inch group at 45 feet with that pistol. Ammo was from an opened box made in 1986. Switched to recently manufactured ammo and shot a 3/4 inch group at 45 feet. Both federal if I remember right. Remember to properly store your ammo if you're saving it for a rainy day. Keep it cool and dry. Not all ammo is the same.

2) Dry fire. Dry firing is perfect practice and it's the best thing you can do to improve your shooting whether it's pistol or rifle. It allows you to concentrate on the fundamentals without dealing with recoil. Through repetition you're building muscle memory and training yourself to keep that perfect sight picture even after the hammer falls. Dry fire, practice drawing, and practice reloading often.

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    I wish I could shoot 3/4 inch groups at 21 feet, let alone 45. Heck, I wish I could shoot 3/4 inch groups at any distance.

*sigh*

I really do need to invest in some snap caps...

at least the practice is fun.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Storm, there are always those show offs. Like those freaks who shoot in Bullseye matches and get mostly X's. Hate those people. :D

Remember to properly store your ammo if you're saving it for a rainy day. Keep it cool and dry.

That is the issue many have with surplus rifle ammo. Who knows how it has been stored before we got it.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I wish I could shoot 3/4 inch groups at 21 feet, let alone 45. Heck, I wish I could shoot 3/4 inch groups at any distance.

*sigh*

I really do need to invest in some snap caps...

at least the practice is fun.

practice and practice.. i'd be lucky to get a group like that but practice a lot does help lil.

Lawyer56

Feb 10, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    I was out shooting the other day with my .45 at 50 feet. I shot 20 rounds and then checked the target. There was only one hole, dead center. That's when I realized that all 20 rounds went through the same hole. Along the same lines, I just found out that my 401K retirement plan that was fuilly invested in the stock market increased by over 400% last year (my stockbroker, Bernie Madoff, really knew what he was talking about but now he doesn't answer his phone...)

sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    I was out shooting the other day with my .45 at 50 feet. I shot 20 rounds and then checked the target. There was only one hole, dead center. That's when I realized that all 20 rounds went through the same hole.

Thanks! That's what my problem must be. :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom