You're jumping right past

Stage One

Stage Two

Stage Three

and

Stage Four

If you've muddled yourself all the way up to

Stage Five

then there's a very good chance you will miss with your first shot.

You shoot to stop the threat. You shoot until the threat is stopped.

Go read those links, and consider signing up for this course.

Already clearing the calender...:D

Jun 30, 2010
    Churchton
    They need to be round up, drug out back, and shot in the ****ing face while they're crying for "ma'muh". Wasting good oxygen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

SimonDanger

Apr 11, 2012
    Annapolis
    The book i'm reading now:

Facing Violence, by Rory Miller

" Ethically, Emotionally, Physically... and without going to prison."

Interesting quote from the book (pg. 119):

"This is the thing, the difference between a fight and an assault, the victim is behind the curve, trying to play catch up, trying to figure out what the situation is and how to respond while the Threat is already well into the steps of his plan. This is where you start in an assault: fifteen points behind, halfway into the fourth quarter, and you don't know if you're playing basketball or football and you aren't dressed for either game."

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    Interesting quote from the book (pg. 119):

"This is the thing, the difference between a fight and an assault, the victim is behind the curve, trying to play catch up, trying to figure out what the situation is and how to respond while the Threat is already well into the steps of his plan. This is where you start in an assault: fifteen points behind, halfway into the fourth quarter, and you don't know if you're playing basketball or football and you aren't dressed for either game."

Ha! Brilliant!

gasman

Oct 8, 2007
    Baltimore City
    Winner!

The attack began long before the one thug doubled back.

They had the victim positioned and bracketed: he had already walked past the fourth thug, who came running up from behind.

It's very important to recognize the pattern of attack . Your best chance is to disrupt the attack at an earlier stage.

His best option was to get his head out of his ass and get out of Dodge before he even walked past thug number four. Get off the X: Turn around, go back, display a high level of alertness. Wouldn't hurt to have his right hand clear and positioned near his imaginary (or real) gun. If a thug begins to approach, speak in a loud, confident, authoritative voice, "Sorry friend; I can't help you!". perhaps blading away from the threat, holding the left/weak hand up, while moving the right/ strong hand towards 4:00. Then get the hell out of there. Run if necessary.

This x 100! His biggest problem is he didn't pay attention, which is the first part of the "PESTS" system of dealing with unknown contacts discussed in the thread here. He completely missed the maneuvering and interview phase as outlined in the link Threeband provided. And as Threeband said (probably using a different system, but the end result is the same) he should have Paid attention, Escaped or Evaded, Stopped encraochment or the approach of the assailant, used his Tape loop, i.e. "I'm sorry, I got nothing for you" "Go away" "Back off!", and Stepped to the 3 or 9 o'clock. When that didn't work, the next steps are EAT. Explode off the "X", Acquire better position, Take the fight to them.

Excellent evaluation, Threeband. I really like the Five Stages of Violent Crime link. Thanks.

ETA: The use of "Command voice" when telling an unkown contact to back off can not be underestimated. It lets them know you do not intend to be victimized.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Vigilante justice? Again, as society decays further, vigilante justice will increase as well. This also is inevitable. Not advocating such but it doesn't take a prophet to see this is what will happen.

Sorry for all the posts in this thread but this got to me first thing in the morning. :mad54:

Nope, it's called a Citizens Arrest. It used to be legal in a lot of places.

SimonDanger

Apr 11, 2012
    Annapolis
    I think the video explains that this guy's car broke down, and since he had only been living in the area for about a month, he must not have known the neighborhood well. It was 3 am, he may or may not have been coming home from a bar, which would have lowered his situational awareness...all bad decisions when it comes to staying out of situations that might get dangerous. I guess the smartest thing he should have done is to just stay in the car for a few more hours and then try walking in the daylight, after all the thugs have gone nighty-nite.

Probably the simplest rule to remember: never be out between 1 and 5 a.m. This is the only time when the drunks, thugs and zombies are out and you can guarantee that you will be noticed by one of them if you are playing in their sandbox. I tell my two teenage sons this repeatedly, nothing, absolutely nothing, good happens between 1 and 5 am. If your car breaks down, stay in it and keep a charge in your phone in case you need to call 911.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    Probably the simplest rule to remember: never be out between 1 and 5 a.m. This is the only time when the drunks, thugs and zombies are out and you can guarantee that you will be noticed by one of them if you are playing in their sandbox. I tell my two teenage sons this repeatedly, nothing, absolutely nothing, good happens between 1 and 5 am. If your car breaks down, stay in it and keep a charge in your phone in case you need to call 911.

I think this kind of mentality is BS. Why should I have to give myself a curfew because our country allows these animals to be roaming around. I completely understand situational awareness, but I am definately not going to batten down the hatches every night and live in fear. I will be ready if I ever need to be (hopefully never have to be). And if Maryland doesn't allow me the tools to defend myself and my family then I will definately be moving out of the state. I am hanging my hat on this latest Woollard case, but if it goes belly up then I'm out. Simply my opinion, not bashing other people's opinions.

Jun 30, 2010
    Churchton
    I think this kind of mentality is BS. Why should I have to give myself a curfew because our country allows these animals to be roaming around. I completely understand situational awareness, but I am definately not going to batten down the hatches every night and live in fear. I will be ready if I ever need to be (hopefully never have to be). And if Maryland doesn't allow me the tools to defend myself and my family then I will definately be moving out of the state. I am hanging my hat on this latest Woollard case, but if it goes belly up then I'm out. Simply my opinion, not bashing other people's opinions.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

SimonDanger

Apr 11, 2012
    Annapolis

Hmmm. I don't go out between 1 & 5 because I have abdicated my rights, it's just the dynamic reality of this urban environment. I also don't willingly swim in shark-infested waters, golf during lightning storms or wander around on a glacier at night. But that's just me.

In climbing parlance it's called an 'objective hazard'. Take rock and ice-fall for example; by climbing in the middle of the night, when things are coldest, you minimize these risks. Give me CC and I might even enjoy a night picnic in Patterson Park:D

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Pretty much what Threeband said. Be alert, be aware, have a plan to get out of the situation. But supposing running wasn't an option and he was carrying, shoot to stop the threat. I cannot emphasize this enough, IF YOU DRAW YOUR WEAPON, YOU HAD BETTER BE PREPARED TO USE IT. Do not brandish or fire a warning shot. Not only are both illegal, but you've just tipped off the bad guy that you have a weapon and may not be willing to use it.

I would not give a warning shot nor would I brandish. However, if I was able to draw the gun to disperse a large unarmed crowd "back off or I will shoot!" and they ran, I would be happy with that. Call it what you will but if the gun causes the threat to end just by the sight of it, I don't have to kill anyone an I don't have to deal with what Zimmerman is dealing with now.

On the other hand, if the threat doesn't immediately end...there would be no other choice.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    I would not give a warning shot nor would I brandish. However, if I was able to draw the gun to disperse a large unarmed crowd "back off or I will shoot!" and they ran, I would be happy with that. Call it what you will but if the gun causes the threat to end just by the sight of it, I don't have to kill anyone an I don't have to deal with what Zimmerman is dealing with now.

On the other hand, if the threat doesn't immediately end...there would be no other choice.

Then you can expect to have the same problems as the Florida woman who fired a warning shot. Also, never underestimate mob mentality. All it takes is one person thinking they can get your weapon and making a move, the rest are now on you like a pack of wolves.

Best move is to unass the area.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    Hmmm. I don't go out between 1 & 5 because I have abdicated my rights, it's just the dynamic reality of this urban environment. I also don't willingly swim in shark-infested waters, golf during lightning storms or wander around on a glacier at night. But that's just me.

In climbing parlance it's called an 'objective hazard'. Take rock and ice-fall for example; by climbing in the middle of the night, when things are coldest, you minimize these risks. Give me CC and I might even enjoy a night picnic in Patterson Park:D

I understand your point of view, I just take a different one. That's what makes america great.:thumbsup:

bx1129

Aug 22, 2011
    Soldiers get beat, shot, rob by local thugs all the time. Really doesn't surprise me. Anyone could be a victim these days. I had a coworker and his wife (both Army officers) who was trailed from base to his house, then they were robbed.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Then you can expect to have the same problems as the Florida woman who fired a warning shot. Also, never underestimate mob mentality. All it takes is one person thinking they can get your weapon and making a move, the rest are now on you like a pack of wolves.

Best move is to unass the area.

No I wouldn't fire a warning shot. I would only draw my gun when I need to use lethal force, but if the threat were to immediately resolve (ie they run away) I'm not going to shoot. If they are close, armed, or do not back off, lethal force would be needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom