• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marcwells

Aug 7, 2022
    United States
    I wasn't sure as to post this here but what the heck.

I noticed that lots of people are against soft mount taxidermy.

I guess you don't need to put much effort in *sighs* not like I got sick of trying to put stuffing into a fox for 2 hours :/

I noticed many of you hate deviantART at that too.

I guess now a days it is us girls getting into taxidermy and the men don't seem to like that.

I want to do taxidermy and honestly I pretty much searched every website for nice easy ls forms. I don't want to do a soft mount...I found it annoying enough filling up pretty much a premade.

I like the idea of soft mount taxidermy and. I guess you could say I drag mine around with me. She's a nice vixen that I plan to mount when i learn taxidermy. For now she's just a humble cuddle buddy for when I feel like destroying the earth (surely everyone has that stage where they hate everyone and the best thing to do is just try and get over it even If you wish everyone was dead).

I enjoy not just having a pelt on the wall.

I use mine to scare the living day lights out of people- well everyone calls me a freak I may as well live up to it

I noticed people get thingy on here about the beginners. The ones that don't bother to actually learn more like grab a walhanger and a cheap form and slab it together. I have chosen not to do this and finally found a teacher! Yay.

So what's the drag about soft mounts?

Yes we use them like soft toys (well they are pretty much the same thing get over it)
    Yes we cart them around places
    Yes we use them for strange things

No I don't use mine as a pillow
    No I don't dress mine up
    No I don't pretend she's real- sometimes I think she's real but not intentionally

I have seen some fancy work done with them
    Lilmissdoeeyes
    Midnightwolfdesigns

Those 2 taxidermist are some of my favourites, inspiring to me really..

marcwells

Aug 7, 2022
    United States

I guess you don't need to put much effort in *sighs* not like I got sick of trying to put stuffing into a fox for 2 hours :/

I guess now a days it is us girls getting into taxidermy and the men don't seem to like that.

I want to do taxidermy and honestly I pretty much searched every website for nice easy ls forms. I don't want to do a soft mount...I found it annoying enough filling up pretty much a premade.

I like the idea of soft mount taxidermy and. I guess you could say I drag mine around with me. She's a nice vixen that I plan to mount when i learn taxidermy. For now she's just a humble cuddle buddy for when I feel like destroying the earth (surely everyone has that stage where they hate everyone and the best thing to do is just try and get over it even If you wish everyone was dead).

I use mine to scare the living day lights out of people- well everyone calls me a freak I may as well live up to it

I noticed people get thingy on here about the beginners. The ones that don't bother to actually learn more like grab a walhanger and a cheap form and slab it together. I have chosen not to do this and finally found a teacher! Yay.

Yes we use them like soft toys (well they are pretty much the same thing get over it)

No I don't dress mine up
    No I don't pretend she's real- sometimes I think she's real but not intentionally

Lilmissdoeeyes
    Midnightwolfdesigns
    fox taxidermy mounts
    Tell me your thoughts Open discussion No arguing All thoughts are respected. thanks in advance

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Member Foxtrapper is an EXTREMELY talented (and female) taxidermist. She does plenty of "soft" taxidermy in addition to the more traditional rigid mounts.

Taxidermy isn't my thing but I can recognize craft skill when I see it. If I had the space, I would have considered getting one of my atypical deer mounted. Outside that, I haven't really wanted to get anything done. I skinned, salted, and stretched a beaver pelt when I was a lot younger. Couple of foxes. Never tried my hand at stuffing anything. I'm not an artist and I can admit it.

If you are getting into the taxidermy world, there are plenty on here who would appreciate seeing the work. Ignore the haters.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Meh, might be for some, but I am not even thrilled on hard taxidermy. My daughter got her buck mounted and it has to reside in the fricking living room and frankly, I'm getting tired of seeing it. Pictures and skulls is all I need. My last buck head is buried in the compost pile set to make an entrance to the garage wall maybe in August or September.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county

No I don't dress mine up

Lilmissdoeeyes
    Midnightwolfdesigns

I do regular taxidermy for myself and my family. Such as it is.

But my Lil Buddy enjoys a sip or two of my morning coffee.

Attachments

• IMG_20201111_083209929.jpg
      IMG_20201111_083209929.jpg
      246.5 KB · Views: 102

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    I had to lookup what it was. But its interesting, kinda cool that they create a product that has a little bit more utility than just being a display piece.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I'm a little confused too. I was unaware that there was such a thing as soft mounted taxidermy, much less that MDS was against it.
    It's more of the OPs comments, demeanor, quoting themselves, etc.that has me concerned.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I'm a little confused too. I was unaware that there was such a thing as soft mounted taxidermy, much less that MDS was against it.
    Didn't know we were against it (I'm not, personally I don't care what people do with hides). I've seen some pictures of member Foxtrapper's work, including soft mounts, and it is absolutely incredible.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Maybe the OP is a girl and just refers to things as we would "hey guys"

I saw the "Yes we do strange things with them" and was like :eek: MDS is going to wear this out in 6 pages of responses.

Last edited:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Maybe I'm weird but I don't care about the gender of the person doing the work (in this case taxidermy) if they are good at it. Foxtrapper's work is very impressive to a layman like me. I've seen some work by a guy who specializes in birds that is incredible.

I know a woman who did historic building repair and construction (think timber framing) and knew exactly what she was doing. A statistical anomaly but that doesn't matter when the owner of the building sees the work.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I'll admit I don't understand what the OP is asking but I'll share that I own and display a fox pelt that I got from foxtrapper a few years ago. It's still as beautiful and soft as the day I brought it home. I only wish I'd bought a few more.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As witness our high esteem for our own Foxtraper , a good taxidermist is a good taxidermist .

Hadn't really though of soft mounts , but to each your own .

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have never heard of it or knew that I was against it.
    I had to reread the post a couple times to figure out WTH he/she/they/it/whatever, was talking about.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have never heard of it or knew that I was against it.
    I had to reread the post a couple times to figure out WTH he/she/they/it/whatever, was talking about.
    I thought it was going to be about little blue pills...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom