• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    I don't know how much our MD issues weigh on the minds of our neighbors in VA or PA, but this epiphany came about today and I thought I would share it.

MD's anti-gun movement has our Constitutional rights as the proverbial house at the end of the street that is on fire. Some will try to stay and put out the fire, others will flee to another house that is not on fire...yet.

We have a lot of avenues with those trying to put out the fire; MSI lawsuit, DINO 2014, SB 281 referendum etc, but are our neighbors doing anything to help with our fire issue? I know there is the NRA on the national stage, but like a virus, this infection will inevitably spread if allowed to.

I honestly don't know what other states have for gun rights, but if there is indeed no one short of the NRA helping MD outside of our borders, this fire will spread to the other houses in the street, and then what? They will look back and say we should have helped MD put out that fire before it spread to our state? Yes it took a few years for us to get where we are now, and will take an equally hard number (if not harder) to get back to where we were, but is anyone else there with us?

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    I'd imagine that PA and VA are gaining a lot of pro-2A citizens right now, to go along with all the "millionaires" and business owners o'malley has already run out of the state. They'll be fine, until things get bad enough that the liberals start moving... Then they'll probly build a wall around us.

Feb 28, 2013
    Why would liberals move? I thought they LIKE this sort of thing.

Unless it's a case of seeing people happy in other states which I'm sure they can't stand

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Why would liberals move? I thought they LIKE this sort of thing.

Unless it's a case of seeing people happy in other states which I'm sure they can't stand

They tend to move when they retire and don't like paying taxes on retirement checks. Then they pine for open space and peace and quiet. Witness Maine (Massholes) and Montana/ Colorado (Californians). Those were all solidly conservative a generation ago. Colorado and Maine are purple headed blue, Montana may last another 10 years but probably not.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    They tend to move when they retire and don't like paying taxes on retirement checks. Then they pine for open space and peace and quiet. Witness Maine (Massholes) and Montana/ Colorado (Californians). Those were all solidly conservative a generation ago. Colorado and Maine are purple headed blue, Montana may last another 10 years but probably not.

This.

They find a place to fall in love with...then they immediately start trying to change it. It never occurs to them, THEY may change and like the place as is if they give it a chance.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    The liberal cancer spreads because they destroy an area to the point they will not live there anymore. Then when they move to a better area they proceed to enact the same things that destroyed where they left.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    The gloom and doom talk is flat out wrong. Concealed carry is spreading through the land. More states are pro gun than anti gun. More guns have been bought in the last 6 months than ever before. More pro gun court cases than ever before are being filed. More pro gun state laws have been passed. The Congress couldn’t pass a background check bill which by all purposes, have the vast majority of public support. Anti gun people can’t even pass laws that are literally slam dunk legislation in most states.

Yeah, a few states like MD exist but they are the vast majority and will either be destroyed by recall elections or court cases. I see our current atmosphere as a trial by fire. We have some pain right now but we are going to come out the victors.

In terms of your fire spreading talk, it is kind of true and kind of false. The fire is spreading in that younger people are liberal now. Homophobia, hatred of the poor/minorities, etc, are no longer acceptable. I don’t see this as a bad thing as everyone deserves the same rights but I tend to lean liberal myself. Thing is, many liberal people agree that people should have a right to firearms. Yes, gay marriage and drug legalization will most likely be a reality in all states in 50 years but I really doubt we will be losing our guns in that time period. I also doubt the anti gun movement will spread to other states. Pro gun people are all moving to pro gun states, diluting the anti numbers.

I also don’t agree with the complaint that only the NRA and no other states are helping us. The NRA IS America. 4 million members from all 50 states, every NRA member in every state is behind us right now. People from every state ARE supporting us by consolidating their power into one organization. To say they don’t care is to ignore the structure of the organization. If I only cared about my state I would only join MSI. But I, like many others, care about the nation as a whole, so I decided to be a MSI and NRA member.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Thing is, many liberal people agree that people should have a right to firearms.

Many may, but not a majority. Young conservatives are more likely to be 2A friendly than they are to be 2A unfriendly. Young liberals are the opposite. They are indoctrinated from the cradle that guns are bad and gun owners are dangerous. As long as they're more concerned about drugs and gay rights than they are about gun rights, we're in a lot of trouble.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    I also don’t agree with the complaint that only the NRA and no other states are helping us. The NRA IS America. 4 million members from all 50 states, every NRA member in every state is behind us right now. People from every state ARE supporting us by consolidating their power into one organization. To say they don’t care is to ignore the structure of the organization. If I only cared about my state I would only join MSI. But I, like many others, care about the nation as a whole, so I decided to be a MSI and NRA member.

Oh I wasn't saying the NRA was not with us, I was asking if there were any MSI equivalent groups in neighboring states that were in to support our cause. Kind if like how other states send emergency crews to disaster areas in other regions of the country like in OK with all the recent tornado spikes.

Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD
    Many may, but not a majority. Young conservatives are more likely to be 2A friendly than they are to be 2A unfriendly. Young liberals are the opposite. They are indoctrinated from the cradle that guns are bad and gun owners are dangerous. As long as they're more concerned about drugs and gay rights than they are about gun rights, we're in a lot of trouble.

My youngest son is 24. Most of his friends fit into the typical liberal stereotype. However, after witnessing what just happened in Maryland they are sitting back and saying, "Hey, wait a minute. What do you mean I can't buy a gun if I want one. Are you kidding me?" One of his long time friends, a former anti-gunner, just bought himself a .22 rifle and asked all his friends to buy him a box of .22LR ammo for his birthday. He hosted a shooting party!

It was a long time ago for me, but I seem to remember that the worst thing you could tell me when I was in my 20's was that I couldn't do something. These young liberals are starting to wake up and they don't like the direction things are headed.

It will take a lot of work, over a long period of time, but I believe there is still some hope for the future.

Dogmeat

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013

I think you underestimate young people quite a bit then. Yes, some are hardcore gun grabbers but a good portion of young people live in an age of information freedom. They want to be left alone for the most part and being told that they can't do something that in no way harms anyone else is infuriating. Gun sales are still climbing right now, how many of those new sales do you think are first time buyers under the age of 30?

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    The youth today is no more different than that of previous generations, only that perhaps the behavior is transmogrified by way of increased stimulation, which leads to desensitization; social media and overall media consumption; consumerism and a growing culture of instant gratification. I noticed the shift in my teens and early twenties (The last brood of Gen X). Not many of my peers had the same epiphany as I; except until in recent years, but having known this, I see the frequency dialed up in the younger generations. Not sure if I can empathize or abhor. It's very hard to describe in even a few paragraphs.

I read a book not too long ago called 'The Fourth Turning' about how the [American] generational mood or atmosphere is cyclical, in which the previous generations affects the succeeding one, and vice a versa. It doesn't blame any one generation, in fact it talks about correlation and interconnectivity. Though, I found the book to profound in a sense that it revealed an interesting cycle, it was however hard to really nail down a type of formula to "forecast" the coming national view or behavior. I wouldn't call the book an answer to anything; it was more of a mass observation. Kind of repetitive at times, but worth the read.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    I read a book not too long ago called 'The Fourth Turning' about how the [American] generational mood or atmosphere is cyclical, in which the previous generations affects the succeeding one, and vice a versa. It doesn't blame any one generation, in fact it talks about correlation and interconnectivity. Though, I found the book to profound in a sense that it revealed an interesting cycle, it was however hard to really nail down a type of formula to "forecast" the coming national view or behavior. I wouldn't call the book an answer to anything; it was more of a mass observation. Kind of repetitive at times, but worth the read.

An example of that sounds like the evolution of the tattoo. The minority was those with tattoos were the rebels and now it seems the trend has flip flopped and its those without them that are the minority rebels bucking the status quo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom