• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Namen

Jan 22, 2008
    essex
    Ok I was very lazy and dumb last time I went shooting. It has only been about a week since the last time I went out but I just tonite got aorund to cleaning my AR. I think by the looks of my bolt I may not have been doing a great job in the past but I never nitced any build up befor. :sad20: I was shooting prvi and there was red shit everything from the primers inside the carrier. I got most of everything cleaned and lubed but am not happy. I found this http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=533 but not sure how great that is for the gun. Any suggestions or opinions of this method? I think i have heard people talk about break cleaner or soemhting befor but want experienced advice. Thank you in advance.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I use mineral spirits to clean up the metal in from surplus guns I buy. Works great - soak, brush and then dry with compressed air. I have also used brake cleaner / carb cleaner when turning in the M16 after range use when I was in the military. Worked great - spray and wipe off. Always follow up with CLP to lube/protect.

amish

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2008
    Fredneck
    I know what you mean, I shoot Prvi and that red primer sealant does get everywhere, especially under the extractor.

For me, it just wipes off, it just takes some time and effort to get all the little cracks clean. I just use normal gun cleaner (Tetra, Hoppes), and patches to wipe everything down.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    It seems just about as easy and faster to give the carrier a good spray with CLP, and wipe it down. Run a wet patch or two inside the carrier using my Otis pistol cleaning rod to clean out the grunge, and finish with a dry patch. Use a fired .45 ACP casing to scrape the carbon off the tail of the bolt. Make sure everything has a thin coat of oil, and a drop or two of oil on the cam pin, firing pin, and bolt, and you are done.

Namen

Jan 22, 2008
    essex
    Thanks for the advice. I got all the primer sealant off and cleaned up just got tired of trying to scrape the carbon off the tail of the bolt. I was trying to scrub but it wasn't coming off. The weird thing it that this is the second time I shot prvi and I don't remeber this much of a mess and I shot alot more rounds the time befor last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom