• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrbule

Jan 12, 2010
    Why is it just awful? I really don't understand why there is something like 14,000 apartments near downtown Silver Spring and yet there is absolutely nothing here.
    It's convenient living here, but you would really think that a best buy or some major store would just make a killing over here. I mean borders is gone. City place is absolutely horrible and half empty. The shopping selection is beyond garbage.
    The restaurants downtown are either hole in the wall or just another chain. I can seriously think of like 1 restaurant that is considered anything close to fine dining.
    With what we pay for rent to live in downtown you would think there would be more than just the metro station worth going to.
    Really anyone familiar with the place. What is wrong over here? We must have 3x the population density of Wheaton or Bethesda. But we have nothing at all.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    High rents are one issue. And since Ike threw open the doors to illegals MC is no longer one of the qelthiest counties anymore. Things will get better when MC goes conservative.

Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    Some of the hole in the wall places have extremely excellent food, especially if it's an ethnic place. As a suburb of DC most of the exceptional restaurants wouldn't be able to be profitable there. Chain restaurants do better in places like that. As for the stores and stuff it just isn't Silver Spring's time yet. It seems like areas get nice and go downhill based on a million different factors. Like how Georgetown used to be bad till it got better. There really isn't a set reason why.
    It could be worse. Down here in Boonie-ass Calvert county I have to drive between 20 min and an hour for stuff. There's a Mom and Pop grocery nearby, but it doesn't always have what I need. We have some chain restaurants and some seafood places and some bars.
    Sounds like you may need a change of scenery.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The problem, as you mentioned, is City Place. That's a prime shopping location that is almost completely wasted. Dumping the current yucky tenants and getting some decent stores in that actually sell more than clothes would be huge. Example: why the hell is there no Gamestop? Why is there no electronics store?

mrbule

Jan 12, 2010
    I know that some of the ethnic hole in the wall places have some great food.. and I do enjoy that. it is nice to have some ethiopian or carribean food when im in the mood for it.
    But there really isnt a lack of income in the area, I dont think you can find a studio apartment for less than $1000 in the downtown area (well section 8.. but thats another story) its just that no one spends money here, theres nothing to spend money on here...
    for shopping, we have to go out to wheaton, or make the trip out to montgomery mall. or the metro right to downtown. the only clothing in silver spring is the Marshalls and burlington coat in city place (awful) and about 500 "urban" clothing stores..
    I just dont get it.. for food, out to bethesda or dc for a decent meal.. I mean even rockville (the most generic place around) has more than we do...
    I mean we have discovery communications, a huge amount of apartments, people everyhwere.. and just nothing as far as commercial..
    Like I said its convienent.. Im 45 seconds across the parkng lot from the grocery store and cvs and across the street from the metro...
    but with all the disposable income in the area... i still dont get why its just so awful..

as far as needing a change of scenery.. hahaha im thinking about maybe going back to bethesda in a year or two when the lease is up... worlds difference and really not much more expensive...

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    What about all the cool spots down there like...

Rays the Classics - amazing steaks

Quarry House - great burgers and amazing adult beverage selection

Pirates Tavern - a novelty place, but it can be extremely fun with the right group

Don't forget Engage Armament is close by! (best store in MD)

As far as shopping goes it does stink, but Silver Spring does have moments of brilliance. Just avoid that Mcdonalds like the plague.

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    I think the biggest problem is parking. Silver Spring is in an awkward zone of being too population dense for big, open parking lots, but not dense enough to provide the heavy foot traffic that larger chain stores demand.

Notice, when you head out to Rockville or Wheaton, you can find parking. It's getting tougher to find in Wheaton, and Bethesda is problematic (Unless you are talking the mall.) But it's much easier than downtown Silver Spring.

one-star

Mar 9, 2009
    Basically, the county turned DTSS over to the Peterson group to "revitalize" and run. Then full crass capitalism took over. They make more money leaving the storefronts blank (due to tax abatements) than to renting to a small business. A national franchise is the only stuff they really want there so they dont have to deal with the hassle.

City Place is a tax shelter for the REITS who own it and will stay as it is till the county gives the owners a ton of money to make it something else. (See the Filmore/JP Penny storefront as an example on how to make a profit on a 20 year abandonment of a building)

mrbule

Jan 12, 2010
    rays the classics is ok, but really is not compared to their other locations..

quarry house is pretty good...

pirate cove is ick...

I really need to give 8407 a try....

other than that you are looking at austin grill, moby dick, noodle and company, mcgintys, copper canyon, etc...

not the worst place ever.. bult like i said when you have 14,000 apartments in such a condensed area, there should be a market for more...

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Basically, the county turned DTSS over to the Peterson group to "revitalize" and run. Then full crass capitalism took over. They make more money leaving the storefronts blank (due to tax abatements) than to renting to a small business. A national franchise is the only stuff they really want there so they dont have to deal with the hassle.

City Place is a tax shelter for the REITS who own it and will stay as it is till the county gives the owners a ton of money to make it something else. (See the Filmore/JP Penny storefront as an example on how to make a profit on a 20 year abandonment of a building)

eh?

doubt petersons are making money w/ an empty space. they are the biggest in the area.. they probably loosing money on those empty space but recoup from other property they own like the national harbor.

they dont care who lease their property. i know for a fact that a good friend of mine opened up a business in silver spring and he rents from petersons.

Ovechtrick

Mar 7, 2011
    Montgomery County
    The problem, as you mentioned, is City Place. That's a prime shopping location that is almost completely wasted. Dumping the current yucky tenants and getting some decent stores in that actually sell more than clothes would be huge. Example: why the hell is there no Gamestop? Why is there no electronics store?

There's a Best Buy 2 miles north of downtown Silver Spring right on Georgia Avenue, so it wouldn't make sense to have another one so close. I like Silver Spring and it is only going to get better as the area improves. The area has improved dramatically with the the build out of downtown and the Discovery Channel moving to the area.

There are some decent places to eat/drink such as Quarry House and Olazzo. The area is still in transition and it will take a few more years to be like Bethesda. It wasn't that long ago that people were criticizing DC, and look at it now.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Well Mr. Blue your area of downtown silver spring is on the outs due to......Metro access for thugs, close proximity to the district, Flower Ave. being just a hop-skip-and a jump away. How close P.G. County is, and lets not forget the growing gang problem in downtown.

I hate to be the crime guy but it all comes with demographics.......Silver Spring has cheap places to eat, cheap transportation, free/inexpensive modes of entertainment (sit at the park area by the hardware store and city place). It has your cheap ghetto carry-outs and it backs up to takoma park. The citizens of takoma park aren't interested in their rights, just the rights of the underprivileged deer or pinto bean or whatever the "struggle" may be that week.

Not to mention kids from D.C. go to silver spring because there is no curfew (please don't start another argument on that comments its IMHO).

Silver Spring is not going to get better anytime soon unless.........Walter reed is reopened (or whatever they were doing to it) and I believe there was something about the FDA building on New Hampshire creating more jobs.

With that being said.........right next to stroschniders (or however you spell it) is a place called Adega. You have to go and get the jambalaya penne pasta. It's like a fast food place (sortof) that sells great meals and they have a full scale beer and wine store. You can buy the bottles of wine and beer and drink them in the store. I believe it's every monday, $30 for two dinners and a bottle of wine. They will have like 6-7 bottles to choose from.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Well Mr. Blue your area of downtown silver spring is on the outs due to......Metro access for thugs, close proximity to the district, Flower Ave. being just a hop-skip-and a jump away. How close P.G. County is, and lets not forget the growing gang problem in downtown.

I hate to be the crime guy but it all comes with demographics.......Silver Spring has cheap places to eat, cheap transportation, free/inexpensive modes of entertainment (sit at the park area by the hardware store and city place). It has your cheap ghetto carry-outs and it backs up to takoma park. The citizens of takoma park aren't interested in their rights, just the rights of the underprivileged deer or pinto bean or whatever the "struggle" may be that week.

Not to mention kids from D.C. go to silver spring because there is no curfew (please don't start another argument on that comments its IMHO).

Silver Spring is not going to get better anytime soon unless.........Walter reed is reopened (or whatever they were doing to it) and I believe there was something about the FDA building on New Hampshire creating more jobs.

With that being said.........right next to stroschniders (or however you spell it) is a place called Adega. You have to go and get the jambalaya penne pasta. It's like a fast food place (sortof) that sells great meals and they have a full scale beer and wine store. You can buy the bottles of wine and beer and drink them in the store. I believe it's every monday, $30 for two dinners and a bottle of wine. They will have like 6-7 bottles to choose from.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: its owned by my good friend i mentioned earlier.. he grew up in the restaurant business.. he use to manage his mom's chinese restaurant in alexandria. miss that place.. bring back memory. we held a new years party at his mom's restaurant looooong time ago and it was a blast!. :D

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD

This.

I worked on this project for two years and the money was a flowing.

I have not been back except to go to Atlantic.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    :thumbsup::thumbsup: its owned by my good friend i mentioned earlier.. he grew up in the restaurant business.. he use to manage his mom's chinese restaurant in alexandria. miss that place.. bring back memory. we held a new years party at his mom's restaurant looooong time ago and it was a blast!. :D

That place gets an A+ in my book please tell your friend I said thanks!! The food is always fresh tasting, great salads, and amazing sandwiches. Like I stated before though........I could eat that jambalaya penne all freaking day especially with that bread they give you!!! He has got to be doing very well for himself because that restaurant is in a odd ass location but always has a crowd! I also like the way people use it as a social gathering, I've been in there twice and there was a knitting group and one time over on the side there was like 10 people reading the same book.

Oh and I forgot to mention that downtown silver spring has a Greyhound station in it? Greyhound is the preferred mode of transport of nut jobs, crazies, and uncomfortable people! It is cheap though.

mrbule

Jan 12, 2010
    I understand what you are saying about the deomgraphic points and everything... but I really dont know where they all come from...
    I mean rents around here are outrageous.. the wife and I pay like $1300 a month on an old lease and the new leases are just insane.. all the new buildings on east-west and further back are disgustingly expensive.. there is just a ton of money here...
    So why does this area appeal to the hood crowd? and where does the whole hood element come from? i can understand 15 years ago when it was cheap to live here.. but its just not anymore.. Im sure that a large majority of the idiots you see around here cant afford to live around here...
    and it seems like a lot of the businesses are still catering to the hood.. there isnt that much section 8 i have noticed.. i mean moco section 8.. but nothing out of the ordinary... so how would the hood stores and business models bring in more profits than catering to the people that live in the area...
    it just doesnt make sense to me...

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    That place gets an A+ in my book please tell your friend I said thanks!! The food is always fresh tasting, great salads, and amazing sandwiches. Like I stated before though........I could eat that jambalaya penne all freaking day especially with that bread they give you!!! He has got to be doing very well for himself because that restaurant is in a odd ass location but always has a crowd! I also like the way people use it as a social gathering, I've been in there twice and there was a knitting group and one time over on the side there was like 10 people reading the same book.

that what his main goal for that restaurant.. he almost thought about selling that place, but kept it and now its picking up business fairly well. he's a good guy.. we use to beat up on each other way back then. :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom