So what "final purchases" are you making?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    I refuse to apply for the handgun license if I can help it (I strongly loathe the requirement to be submitted to fingerprinting simply to be able to buy handguns). Most likely I'm stuck here another 1-2 years (I renewed my lease instead of rushing and trying to move to VA earlier than I planned because I simply didn't have the time to move while finishing my masters). Now, if I get a Baltimore City job I applied for, I may be stuck longer (it is $20K more than the VA jobs I've applied to which are themselves $20K more than I make now- it would be hard to pass up that big a pay difference), it would be near impossible to work in Balt City and live in VA. Should that happen, I may get the license (I won't go without buying handguns indefinitely, possibly for many years), but more likely, I'm leaving in 1-2 years and I can wait that long so as not to submit to the reprehensible licensing scheme.

I also have never been that into "assault" rifles. I've thought quite a bit off and on over the years about selling my AR. The semi-auto rifles that most appeal to me would not be affected (M1A, Mini-14, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine). So, there is no need to rush an assault rifle purchase, overpay due to the current demand, and then likely just end up selling it in a few years anyway.

That all said, I'm more interested in adding a handgun since I most likely won't be able to buy any more after Oct 1 until I move out of MD. So, after schools start back up and I start getting paychecks again in Sept I will buy a handgun or two from one of the dealers that are releasing on the statutory 8th day and not waiting for the MDSP background check to come back.

On my list (I'm not sure which I'll choose):
    -A 3" .327mag revolver (probably a Ruger SP101)
    -A "Cowboy Action" SA revolver (probably a Cimarron, but not necessarily)
    -A SIG P229 in .40S&W
    -A SIG P239 (undecided on caliber)
    -Another 3" .357mag (Ruger SP101, Ruger GP100, older K-frame)
    -A .22lr handgun of some kind

I have most of what I "need". I don't have a .22 handgun anymore, when I did have one I rarely shot it. If I want some changes, I have a SIG P250 (waiting to be released :( ) so I can get exchange kits for different sizes or calibers. After the law is in effect, until I'm able to move out of MD, I'll stick with buying rifles for a couple years (I've been neglecting rifle purchases for a while anyway).

You can certainly live in PA and work in Baltimore! M1A is banned 10/1 btw.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    I'm done (or at least out of money).

Still waiting on my "8 day release" of a M&P 15 ORC, Stag partial lower, and Walther P22. Pick up my Steyr L9-A1 next week. Yeah, I know only the first two are "banned", but impulse shopping bit my ^$$. Oh, and not to mention all the ammo I've been acquiring when found/available.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Two Adcor lower receivers are awaiting release. That's probably it for me...still trying to figure out how I'm going to deal with the SU consequences of those purchases.

I'd like to add a standard capacity .45 ACP pistol to my collection while I can, but re$ource$ are low, so that appears unlikely. I'm generally satisfied with my pistol holdings, but the hatred for MOM burns...

I might add some 20 round AR and Mini-14 mags between now and then, though I'm not fretting so much about that since I can always get them in PA or ship 'em to my dad who lives there.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    I really thought I had this figured out. My thinking was to wait for prices to come down on an hbar ar15 after 10/1 as they will still be an option, which had me leaning towards a couple more high capacity pistols. Those same pistols will still be available after 10/1, they will come with 10rd mags instead of 17's which I could technically still grab 17 rounders out of state. So what is the "smartest" purchase prior to 10/1? Hbar after 10/1? Pistols prior? Or go with a regulated ar15 that is on the "evil list" prior to 10/1? Any suggestions are appreciated.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I really thought I had this figured out. My thinking was to wait for prices to come down on an hbar ar15 after 10/1 as they will still be an option, which had me leaning towards a couple more high capacity pistols. Those same pistols will still be available after 10/1, they will come with 10rd mags instead of 17's which I could technically still grab 17 rounders out of state. So what is the "smartest" purchase prior to 10/1? Hbar after 10/1? Pistols prior? Or go with a regulated ar15 that is on the "evil list" prior to 10/1? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Just buy an AR-15 lower or two before October 1, 2013. Then, you can build them into whatever you want without having to worry about it. Buy the HBAR and pistols after October 1, 2013 if you are alright with getting the HQL.

Me, I am not submitting my fingerprints like a criminal unless I can get CCW. That will be the determining factor for me if I buy any more handguns after October 1, 2013.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Just buy an AR-15 lower or two before October 1, 2013. Then, you can build them into whatever you want without having to worry about it. Buy the HBAR and pistols after October 1, 2013 if you are alright with getting the HQL.

Me, I am not submitting my fingerprints like a criminal unless I can get CCW. That will be the determining factor for me if I buy any more handguns after October 1, 2013.

Tx Fabs your input is always appreciated bro

River Mud

Mar 19, 2013

THIS. I have never done so much milling in my life as I've done in the last six months. They know from my hunting license purchases that I've owned a gun at some point. They don't need to know any more.

River Mud

Mar 19, 2013
    Exactly, when folks take that position, MOM wins.

I disagree. Sure, sales volume goes down. And crime occurrence doesn't. Not sure how that benefits MOM on the eve of his ill-fated presidential run. It's just going to look like another dumb law that happened to be in violation of the Constitution.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I am trying to find RRA dealer that can get me a price on a LAR-47. I wonder how this rifle will be classified. Not an Ak not an AR none of the receivers swap over tot he AR or AK platform.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Ok, so a year ago I didn't even think about getting an AR. I was in the Army and carried an M-16, great rifle but I didn't see anything special about it. Then I saw the upcoming election and thought "Oh, sh!t, her it comes." So, I did what any patriot would do and bought a reasonably updated musket, per the 2A, a M&P 15.

Fast forward to today, I just purchased my second lower from 2A Sales and I'm eyeing an AR in .308 (2A has a Sig 716 in stock for anyone interested.....I'm tempted)

So my final pre ban purchases are two lowers to be completed by D-Day and hopefully a .308, just in case they get banned as "Copycats" (even though there is no mil-spec version of an AR-10 style rifle).

As for pistols, I have one and that's OK for now, but I will get more. I'm kind of the opposite of most folks around here. Yes I think that the fingerprinting issue is an overreach, but I've already been fingerprinted for the military and for my Utah CCW, so I don't care about that (and I'm already on about a dozen "watch lists" so if they can't find me either I'm really good or they are miserably bad). But my main reason for getting my next pistol post ban is as an FU to MOM. I won't let his tyranny keep me from honoring and respecting the Constitution.

I grew up with guns, but was never a gun "nut," I just enjoyed shooting. MOM and his minions are a direct cause to me vowing to increase my collection over the next few years with everything I can get my hands on and afford.

I'm not making any "final purchases." I'm making some interim, pre-litigation, f-u purchases. After SB281 is either struck down or repealed, or I relocate to a free state, I'll be back in the market.

Fingerprinting is reserved for those who choose to subject themselves to it, either for employment or for suspected commission of a crime (or are booked). The military and other orgs might have specific and justifiable reasons, but in the final analysis, they are all voluntary.

It must NOT be required of people who merely want to exercise their constitutional rights, except under a tyrannical system of government. Why? Because there's no good or rational reason to require it. It's solely to repress, embarrass, humiliate, and deter people from subjecting themselves to it. It must be struck down in court.

Bright line, easily defined.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    So what is the "smartest" purchase prior to 10/1? Hbar after 10/1? Pistols prior? Or go with a regulated ar15 that is on the "evil list" prior to 10/1? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Assuming you don't want (and more than likely in a reasonable timeframe cannot get) an HQL, then buy whatever you want and can afford now that is banned or regulated on 10/1. AR-15 lowers are an obvious one, pending unknown outcomes of upcoming lawsuits. I just bought two Stag complete lowers, partially because of 10/1, partially as an FU. I otherwise would have waited until sometime next year, but I want legal off-property rifle setups available to me other than HBAR. Same idea goes for any handguns you want. Try to buy them now if available and the price is reasonable.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I disagree. Sure, sales volume goes down. And crime occurrence doesn't. Not sure how that benefits MOM on the eve of his ill-fated presidential run. It's just going to look like another dumb law that happened to be in violation of the Constitution.

It will put FFLs out of business. The question is how many. I have seen it in NY. IT will happen. THIS IS WHAT THEY WANT.

Believe it.

It was and is the only purpose of sb 281 ...

So if you have been printed for work as many have, consider doing the HCl IMHO. If not then I understand your reluctance.

In truth only an injunction can prevent FFLS from folding,because the MSP will not even have a procedure in place in time.. Lets not make it worse

ibanez320dx

New guy.
    Jun 2, 2013
    Rosedale
    I'm just waiting for my DC letter to come back so I can do some shopping. Never thought id need one until now. Like others im not fond of finger printing. Hopefully I can get a few lowers and some revolvers before then.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Not to take this off-topic but if you get a Utah CCW, you have to get fingerprinted. Now, I am not fond of getting fingerprinted after 10/1 to buy a handgun, but would it really matter since I was already fingerprinted due to taking the Utah course?

Last edited:

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    It will put FFLs out of business. The question is how many. I have seen it in NY. IT will happen. THIS IS WHAT THEY WANT.

Believe it.

It was and is the only purpose of sb 281 ...

So if you have been printed for work as many have, consider doing the HCl IMHO. If not then I understand your reluctance.

In truth only an injunction can prevent FFLS from folding,because the MSP will not even have a procedure in place in time.. Lets not make it worse

I have changed my position on this and intend to take part in swamping the system with HQL apps. This will only help prove that we are being denied our 2nd amendment rights. No more pistol purchases till after 10/1!!!

Support your LGS, they fought hard for your rights!

Working on an M1A. (Scrounging the $$$)

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    Not to take this off-topic but if you get a Utah CCW, you have to get fingerprinted. Now, I am not fond of getting fingerprinted after 10/1 to buy a handgun, but would it really matter since I was already fingerprinted due to taking the Utah course?

I'm sure they could connect the dots if they needed to so I believe the answer is no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom