• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Wipe-Out and Wipe-Out Accelerator Kool-Aid that is :party29:

When I was at Scott's Gunsmithing the other day, I decided to pick some up, as well as some Ballistol. I had some free time today, so I decided to clean my already clean Vector AK47. Well, I thought it was clean at least. I gotta say, this stuff is amazing. Easier to clean the rifle than I ever did before, and it got stuff out of the gun that I didn't know was there (as I said, the rifle was cleaned a few weeks ago, and hadn't been shot since). That, in addition with a couple patches of Ballistol, and I was good to go.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I've heard great things about Wipe-Out, so I picked some up. Cleaned 5 different guns, pistols and rifles, and not a mark on any patches. I'm not saying it doesn't work, I guess my guns were just real clean. Seems very easy to use, and a little goes a long way. I like the fact it has corrosion protection built in.

MH

LordSigdious

Jan 10, 2009
    I ordered some wipe-out on wednesday from cheaper than dirt, havent used it yet. Do I necessarily need the accelerator or will the wipe out work just fine on its on? I assumed accelerator reduced soak time? I want to see what it gets out that my normal cleaning may have missed.
    Brad

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I've been having a lot of fun with Wipe Out, since reading Blindnoodle's thread on the subject (http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=24725).

I started by cleaning massive quantities of jacket fouling from a Garand, then started on my Mosins. Patches were coming out deep indigo-blue (copper fouling) and black (powder/carbon fouling). I'm currently working on my Swedish Mauser. It is shocking to see how much crud was in an apparently clean barrel.

I've been doing this in a leisurely way, over several days. I'll run a patch with Accelerator through, than squirt the Wipe Out down the bore, and leave it for anywhere from 3 hours to overnight. Come back and run a couple patches through, admiring the copious crud that comes out. Then I repeat the process.

I've cleaned a Garand, 3 Mosins, and I'm almost done the Swede. My second can of Wipe Out is getting low: need to order more.

grb

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2010
    MT. Airy, Md
    I gotta say, I finally bought some this week as well. I had cleaned my Mosin thoroughly with Hoppes and Break Free two days earlier...I squirted some wipe out in the barrel and left it overnight. Next morning I ran a patch through it and couldn't believe the dark blue and black crud. I ran a couple more patches through and then re-applied. Went back this morning and same thing. Still dark blue and black crud. Re-applied again and will try again tomorrow morning. It sure is getting stuff out that brushing and using the other stuff did not get.

snoopaloop

Mar 5, 2009
    Middle River
    Using wipe out and seeing those deep blue patches was a real what-the-frenchtoast-is-that moment. I had some real bad copper fouling in my barrels and never knew it.

2ndMDRebel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    How did you get it to work in your Garand? I tried to use it in mine and it made quite the mess of things with the foam getting through the gas port. I do like it in all my bolt rifles though.

I wonder how it would fare in an AR?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    How did you get it to work in your Garand? I tried to use it in mine and it made quite the mess of things with the foam getting through the gas port. I do like it in all my bolt rifles though.

I wonder how it would fare in an AR?

When I had my Garand stripped down, I used the Wipe Out foam, and let it clean out the gas cylinder too.

Now that the M1 is reassembled, I've used Patch Out. Near as I can tell, Patch Out is the non-foaming version. Use it just like the foam, that is, use Accelerator first, followed by either Wipe Out foam or Patch Out (a thickish liquid), and allow to set for a few hours or overnight. (This is my understanding/interpretation of the product instructions anyway.) I would use the Patch Out non-foaming liquid on an AR too.

By the way, I clean the M1 upside down in a horizontal cleaning cradle, in order to keep solvents out of the gas tube.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=112089

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I bought some wipe out and accelerator at Scott’s Gunsmithing a week ago Saturday. I also bought a Finn Mosin that they had for sale on consignment. The barrel of the rifle looked like a sewer pipe. I ran a patch of wipe out accelerator followed by the foam. I ran a couple of dry patches through the barrel and I did get a bunch of purple out and some black. I think I tried to do it again and I got a little more crap out of the barrel, but it did not look really clean. I shot that rifle with four of other ones the following weekend. After I shot the rifle I noticed the bore looked a little better than before I shot it.

When I got back I pushed a patch with the accelerator through the bore and some carbon came out on the patch. I followed with the foam and let it sit. When I patched out the bore, I did get a lot of crap out on the patches. I noticed after several dry patches that the bore was still dirty because I would get a little bit of carbon streaks on the dry patches. I decided to run through another session. I put a patch of accelerator through and it came out a really dark nasty yellow grey brown color. Ultimately I decided to run dry patches after the accelerator patches. I hit it with the accelerator patches then dry patches until it got pretty clean then I used the foaming cleaner, and let it sit. After several iterations of doing this, the bore got noticeably cleaner.

I squirted a few drops of accelerator down the bore after a wet patch and let the rifle sit for about an hour. When i patched out the bore with a dry patch some crap that looked like earwax came out. I think this was cosmolene that was right up to the corner of the lands and grooves.

As I continued to clean the rifle, mostly what I was getting out was the blue color caused by copper fouling. I ended up cleaning the bore with K-12 copper bore cleaner. I followed this with what was the final Wipe Out application. The final patches came out clean.

The bore looks like a real rifle bore now. I had thought that the barrel was rusty and pitted, but that was just crap in the grooves of the barrel. It is actually shiny!

I think that the accelerator solution by itself does a lot of good, especially for old nasty mil-surps. Shooting the rifle after an initial cleaning might have helped in the cleaning.

Also there is no very little warnings on the products. The accelerator I believe is some type of nasty caustic basic chemical. On my fingers, where I had been touching the wet pads, I developed a white rash on my skin, while I was cleaning. I think the accelerator was starting to digest my skin. I washed my hands, followed by a rinse of vinegar, followed by skin lotion. There was no permanent damage. I ended up buying some nitrile gloves to finish the cleaning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom