So I took My New Glock 17 to the Range Today...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    Thats not polished, its simply sanded to look different. If it dosent look like a mirror its not polished.

Its the lighting that makes it not look polished. It does look like a mirror. Im going to touch it up a little bit, but im trying to be careful not to take too much material off. Luckily though the part is cheap.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    Welcome to the new Glocks. Glock wont do anything to change it, the gun "works". Youll likely need an aftermarket extractor and possibly different mags. The Newer Glock Mags can cause these issues too.

I thought the problems were with Gen 4 Glocks? My Gen 3 9mm's don't have any problems like the OP. Thousands of rounds with no problems. Though, I did buy them in early 2011.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I thought the problems were with Gen 4 Glocks? My Gen 3 9mm's don't have any problems like the OP. Thousands of rounds with no problems. Though, I did buy them in early 2011.

No, Gen 4 have another failure point, the recoil system . Current Gen3s use Gen 4 parts.

rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    lol He just scuffed off the finish.

The picture make it look really grainy. I just buffed it up some with my Dremel and took a little material off. It has a complete mirror finish to it now.

Edit: This is the part that supposedly, if slightly relieved, will help give a more positive extraction. It does look much better now that it is filed down a bit.
    extractor2.jpg

zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012

Any Gen 3 manufactured January 2010 and after uses the exact parts that cause the Gen 4 issues. I only buy used Glocks in 9mm because of this.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    If Glock doesn't get serious about this they are going to gen 4 themselves right out of business. I must be lucky, my Apr 2012 gen4 G19 has no issues

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If Glock doesn't get serious about this they are going to gen 4 themselves right out of business. I must be lucky, my Apr 2012 gen4 G19 has no issues

You would think so but people still buy the SIG Kool Aide too and they have been marginal for a long time.

Truth be told, QC and overall reliability has no bearing on the Gun Market and most Large COmpanies Success. Gun consumers get duped by Gun Magazines, Youtube Yahoos, and Internet Fanboys enough to keep the Kool Aide warm and tasty.

rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    You would think so but people still buy the SIG Kool Aide too and they have been marginal for a long time.

Truth be told, QC and overall reliability has no bearing on the Gun Market and most Large COmpanies Success. Gun consumers get duped by Gun Magazines, Youtube Yahoos, and Internet Fanboys enough to keep the Kool Aide warm and tasty.

It is sad to see QC slipping like this. They are making a product that a lot of people's lives depend on how well it works. They need to realize that.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    :ohnoes: I just bought a new Gen 3 Glock 19 and I'm nervous about it after reading this thread...

I'm used to a West German P226 that hasn't malfunctioned in about 10,000 rounds since I bought it and I will be seriously pissed if my Glock 19 isn't reliable...

rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    :ohnoes: I just bought a new Gen 3 Glock 19 and I'm nervous about it after reading this thread...

I'm used to a West German P226 that hasn't malfunctioned in about 10,000 rounds since I bought it and I will be seriously pissed if my Glock 19 isn't reliable...

Its not that is unreliable, it just sprays brass unpredictably.

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn

mine is August 2012, with no issues.. so there's hope

^^^

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have a Gen 3 G26 I got a couple of months ago for EDC. After 500 or so rounds it has been 100% reliable, and I haven't been hit in the head with a spent casing. I guess I'm lucky.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I assume you arent a fan of the dual spring? Do you believe that contributes to the problem?

I have shot both and dont see a difference...just more parts to deal with.

Dual Spring Recoil assembly was poorly executed IMO and yes its part of the Gen 4 Issues, but overall the reliability and ejection issues have been bacause of cuting corners on Manufacturing Methods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom