So I bought a few green mountain blanks...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    After looking for "uppers" for one of my TC contenders for my Daughter and not liking the prices I decided to build them.

Started with the .22 blank and turned it down and threaded it for a suppressor.

IMG_20160225_160350_926_zpsjbq7xk0g.jpg

While I was at it, I went ahead and machined a thread protector if it ever didn't have one on or a QD adapter on the threads.

IMG_20160225_160302_240_zps8pucmr59.jpg

After a little searching, I couldn't find any weld on lugs (one source for threaded) and machined my own just averaging the measurements from the TC barrels I do have.

IMG_20160304_121205_366_zpsgcvbonah.jpg

Welded the first one together yesterday, chamber reamer is on the way now and after that will have to machine the slot for the extractor, finish and test. If it is a "winner", will do the next one the same way.

IMG_20160304_124329_788-1_zpsub6w2vfg.jpg

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    That's cool! I just picked up a TC and am sure I have a 22 blank left. Could just silver solder that one together. What other cal are you planning on?

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    He next one will be 357 maximum. Should be good for everything from powder puff 38 spl loads up to a few hundred FPS of 35 Remington power levels.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Very impressive, a man with mad skills. I've gotten out of the TC stuff years ago. I'm finding some things left over, I will see what I have and your are welcome to the stuff. Sure could of used your skills 2 weeks ago.LOL

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    After looking for "uppers" for one of my TC contenders for my Daughter and not liking the prices I decided to build them.

Started with the .22 blank and turned it down and threaded it for a suppressor.

IMG_20160225_160350_926_zpsjbq7xk0g.jpg

While I was at it, I went ahead and machined a thread protector if it ever didn't have one on or a QD adapter on the threads.

IMG_20160225_160302_240_zps8pucmr59.jpg

After a little searching, I couldn't find any weld on lugs (one source for threaded) and machined my own just averaging the measurements from the TC barrels I do have.

IMG_20160304_121205_366_zpsgcvbonah.jpg

Welded the first one together yesterday, chamber reamer is on the way now and after that will have to machine the slot for the extractor, finish and test. If it is a "winner", will do the next one the same way.

IMG_20160304_124329_788-1_zpsub6w2vfg.jpg

nice, took a year of machine shop back in the day and my father is a retired machinist in NC. Wish I had more knowledge and the equipment...

Good luck and keep us updated, please

Antietamgw

Sep 1, 2011
    Washington County
    Nice work! I've done a few threaded stubs using Contender, Rolling Block and Handi barrels. Donors are getting expensive though. I don't have any real concerns in machining the lugs but the welding concerns me. My welding experience is limited to a small mig and a buzz box, mostly fabrication and farm equipment repairs. I don't know any welders that would treat a gun part any different than a shovel. My mig is a good unit, a Miller with shielding gas, but I use it very little. I suppose I should get some practice with it and make up a furnace large enough for a barrel. I imagine you are using Tig, preheating? Again, nice work!

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    Well I finally had some time to play with this project again and modified a G2 forearm to work with the original frame and mounted it an and optic banged away at some steel until I had it close enough to put a group on paper. Not the best shooting 22 I have or the easiest to bench for groups because of shot to shot movement but the first photo is a 20 shot group at 60 yards (odd distance but just how far it is from the back door to the bullet trap).

IMG_20160404_125207_861-1_zpsp33jdd1f.jpg

For the Kiddo I mounted an aimpoint comp3 I had and even with the suppressor it's shorter than the 510 she has been shooting.

IMG_20160404_131128_434-1_zpsusx8vvyp.jpg

Yes, the welding was done with one of my Miller synchrowave tig machines.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    The last company I worked for in Wisconsin had a lathe a vertical mill precision drill press, breaks anything you can think of. When they showed me the shop I said. Wow, I could turn my Kirby vacuum cleaner into a fully automatic rifle with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom