• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sim1776

Oct 30, 2010
    Harford county
    It's not a pretty bow but should be functional and good for someone getting back into hunting on a tight budget(wife said buying a house trumps all). I've fired a crossbow once all the way back in Scouts on an Icicle trip.

My bargain crossbow

I figure that I'll probably use Cabela's carbon bolts since their carbon arrows were decent for the price.

Broadheads are where I start to run into problems. Do I have to use the broadheads advertised as for a crossbow or are standard broadheads ok? The only place where I can see a difference is bolt heads appear shorter implying the need for a reduced center of gravity but field tips are the same. I prefer a longer broadhead and needless to say the crossbow heads look...stout.

Looks nice, people don't have to go top of the line to get something they like, as long as you are happy with it. Whatever broadheads you use just remember that they can't interfere with the rail of the bow. Many people (but not all) go with expandables for this reason. Just a tip if you have forgotten, make sure you pull the bowstring back evenly else your bolts will go all over this earth with no accuracy to speak of. I use a magic marker to mark the center of the string at rest, then you will be able to know if it is straight when cocked and the bolt should be on the mark when loaded. Enjoy your toy.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    You can use any type of broadhead, i prefer the NAP Spitfire's, simply amazing broadheads, but since your poundage isnt all that high you may want to do something like slick tricks.

victor57

Feb 10, 2011
    Arbutus, Maryland
    Crossbow

I bought an aluminum frame tactical crossbow last year. It has a 180 LB
    draw and is very accurate with 420 grain hollow aluminum bolts. Before that
    purchase I already had 2 pistol crossbows - 50 LB and 80 LB draws.

sim1776, did you string it yourself ? I strung mine solo using a "bastard"
    string - essentially very strong boot lace that cost me all of $1 !

I'm currently in the market for a crossbow and am looking for a place that has a Horton Vision 175 (a reverse bow) in stock so that I can shoot it.

It's my understanding that most manufacturers recommend 100 or 125 grain broadheads for their crossbows. Also, that optimal FOC is less extreme than with a bow, about 12 percent.

fireantresq

Oct 4, 2010
    To all those looking to use crossbows, I'd just like to say...keep those thumbs down. Had a call last year for a piece of thumb removed by crossbow.
    Food for thought.
    Stay safe.:D

Elite84

Oct 29, 2008
    I have shot the Horton vision and the recon, but I ended up with the Parker cyclone. The trigger on he parkers makes the diffrence.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    I bought an inexpensive Horton crossbow couple of years ago and it works great - no need to spend big money to get started in this -I have seen some for over $1000 and if thats your thing go for it . Overall it does not seem to be so sensitive to arrow types and weights and all of the expandable heads I have shot through it seem to fly great. In the past 2 seasons I have taken 4 shots in the woods and put down 4 deer with it- mine has a peep sight and a single fiber optic pin- I generally shoot bare bow traditional equipment so sights for me are somewhat of a luxury. Also you dont have to spend $8 for a tube of rail lube - chapstick works fine and it tastes good too.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I'm all for buying the low to mid end X bows. I have a Parker that was $500 out the door with all of the accessories and bolts. It's just as fast as a $1000 X bow and will split bolts just like a $1000 X bow.

The 5 deer that walked in front of it last year couldn't tell the difference either :)

sim1776

Oct 30, 2010
    Harford county
    Thanks so much for the tips! I'll broaden my horizons, so to speak. No, I haven't actually gotten the bow, but over the years I've developed the knack of taking something that I may not even particular like to use(a friend's BP musket comes to mind) and make do. Shot a spike, only thing that I saw all year. :( So even if it's not my favorite, it'll still be a sweet way to hunt until I can take the several months for shoulder surgery. I've got quite a few months before any serious bow hunting begins so I shall experiment most heartily. I have a BSA 1x dot scope that I took off my stock HP4595. I plan to be quite content and spoiled, and actually generous enough to think those whores in Annapolis did something beneficial...

Hopefully public lands will be kind to me. There's one near my house and without knowing usage statistics, the reported harvest for 2010 was really low. I grew near that area and it should be teeming with 4-legged bounty. Gonna get some USCGS maps for the area and a few seasonal overheads(cross my fingers). Should help when I go scout in mid-august and maybe even give me a hint of seasonal shifts. A woodland sanctuary surrounded on 3 sides by farm fields and the other side with landscaped houses should yield more a handful of deer...

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    I shoot an Excalibur. Love it. Very accurate. It is a recurve design and doesn't have wheels to mees you up. I have killed a lot of deer with it and it works great. You can get a base model for 5 to 600 bucks. If you look online you can probably find a used one for half that price. The trigger is amazing, basically match grade. I jjust shoot standard bolts you get at Dicks or Bass Pro and use Muzzy fixed blades, they do the job well.

Vic

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    My brother in law lost the tips (down to first joint) of three fingers on his right hand to a crossbow. He was apparently showing his son his NEW crossbow and the string was "somehow" released and took off his fingers. I think he was trying to release the pressure on the string. They never did find the pieces.

sim1776

Oct 30, 2010
    Harford county
    Yeah a guy that I used to hunt with lost the top of his left thumb to a crossbow. He did manage to find it, but yeah you have to be really careful with them or you find out what a piece of ham feels like in a slicer. I have no intention of relieving tension any other way than shooting a bolt into the ground and I keep a really low grip.
    5 to 600 is out of my price range. I have to completely re-gear as I haven't hunted in several years. My stand and hunting clothes got ruined a few years ago when my storage room roof leaked. Lol, that's actually most of my budget.

_JT_

Jan 30, 2009
    Cecil County
    I shoot an Excalibur. Love it. Very accurate. It is a recurve design and doesn't have wheels to mees you up. I have killed a lot of deer with it and it works great. You can get a base model for 5 to 600 bucks. If you look online you can probably find a used one for half that price. The trigger is amazing, basically match grade. I jjust shoot standard bolts you get at Dicks or Bass Pro and use Muzzy fixed blades, they do the job well.

Vic

Thats what i'll end up with, an Excaliber Vortex based on my trip up to the ESS. Shot it, loved it, and love the uncocking option on Excalibers

w69dy

Mar 8, 2011
    North beach
    i traded for a horton 175 HD crossbow and sighted it in at 15 25 and 35. then for shits and giggles i set the last red dot at 50m. At 50 i had 4 bolts all in the kill zone with in 4 inches. VERY nice crossbow but a little loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom