• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dlongjr

Oct 21, 2011
    Ellicott City
    OK so I have been reading a lot on this site and cannot find a clear answer or at least clear to my dense brain.

Can I buy a shotgun online and have it shipped to my house or does it have to go to an FFL for transfer? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You can buy a non-regulated long gun in person while out of state and bring it back with you. If you have it shipped into MD, it has to go through an FFL. In other words, you have to personally receive the firearm from an FFL, so that the FFL can verify your ID.

An exception is for C&R purchases where you have a C&R FFL. In that case, regulated and non-regulated C&R purchases ship directly to you.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    You can buy a non-regulated long gun in person while out of state and bring it back with you. If you have it shipped into MD, it has to go through an FFL. In other words, you have to personally receive the firearm from an FFL, so that the FFL can verify your ID.

An exception is for C&R purchases where you have a C&R FFL. In that case, regulated and non-regulated C&R purchases ship directly to you.

Almost right. An out of state purchase must go through a FFL. Example, you go to PA and want to buy a bolt action rifle at a gun show, sold by a PA FFL. No problem, you must fill out a 4473. You can't buy FTF from a PA resident.

You buy online, the rifle has to come to a MS FFL for paperwork.

It isn't so the FFL can verify ID, it is for the 4473. BTW, this is Federal law and not MD law. Gun Control Act of 1968. If the firearm is C&R and you have the license, then that is one of the few exceptions.

Grrrr

Nov 10, 2011
    waldorf md
    Thank you! so I will not be buying that Remington 887 from Buds.

ive purchased several guns from buds....they offer free shipping and if you go to an ffl that charges a reasonable rate then you can still come out cheaper than buying locally sometimes.

Auckland

Get On My Horse
    Apr 6, 2008
    The Dena
    Almost right. An out of state purchase must go through a FFL. Example, you go to PA and want to buy a bolt action rifle at a gun show, sold by a PA FFL. No problem, you must fill out a 4473. You can't buy FTF from a PA resident.

You buy online, the rifle has to come to a MS FFL for paperwork.

It isn't so the FFL can verify ID, it is for the 4473. BTW, this is Federal law and not MD law. Gun Control Act of 1968. If the firearm is C&R and you have the license, then that is one of the few exceptions.

I thought we could buy face to face in MD? That would mean no 4473?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    OK so I have been reading a lot on this site and cannot find a clear answer or at least clear to my dense brain.

Can I buy a shotgun online and have it shipped to my house or does it have to go to an FFL for transfer? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Ok let me sum this up as md owners make the process just as confusing as the law.

Assuming its not c&r

It has to go through a FFL.......simple.

Gentlemen the goal is for Marylanders to buy more guns not be confused so they give up. This thread actually was pretty good about it but I notice sometimes we throw tons of different laws at newer guys and it just makes my head spin with confusion.

Dlongjr

Oct 21, 2011
    Ellicott City
    No issues with Buds or the process. No reason to pay an FFL fee for a shotgun. I will just head over to 2aSales and see if Mark can get the 887 Nitro Mag for me. Just figured I would ask as I have seen some good prices on the 887 online.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I thought we could buy face to face in MD? That would mean no 4473?

You can buy FTF in MD, as long as the gun isn't regulated and the seller is also a MD resident. If a work buddy who lives in PA offers to sell you his 12 gauge, while both of you are in MD, it has to go through a FFL and a 4473. You can't go to PA and just pick it up either.

MD/MD unregulated FTF OK
    MD/any other state unregulated FFL Needed and 4473

Again this is Federal law, assuming no C&R toys and no C&R licenses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom