• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    No just wondering if people ended up with good rifles. if I am fishing for anything it's what you would have done different if things didnt work out well.

Companies like Century, to me, seem to build rifles from parts kits and are known by some to turn out lemons, wondering if anyone who homebuilt ended up with a lemon and why.

And would you count your homebuilt among your most reliable rifles?

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    why are you asking this in the group build section? are you just bored and trying to start a new discussion? it's not like you can buy any new AK's, so what is the reason for your research?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    why are you asking this in the group build section? are you just bored and trying to start a new discussion? it's not like you can buy any new AK's, so what is the reason for your research?

I can't answer for the OP, but I know many people who have pre 10/1 AK receivers that have not been built yet.

Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg

bored, and wanted to target builders only. To be honest when I went to the group build at Awptickes', I saw alot of guys who knew they're stuff, and guys who seemed to never have any mechanical experience ever. I know Aks are put together by kids in mudhuts so how hard can it be right? just wondering if the less experienced folks made out with a great rifle or an OK one, or vice versa if more experienced folks made out with a lemon. I got my pre-10/1 reciever and am gonna be putting it together soon (once I figure out what I want to do with it).

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    all of mine have been running like spotted-butt apes for years. :)

I even had a really awful past few days with my bulgarian '74 sidefolder. I didn't cut a patch down small enough, and it got stuck in the chamber somethin fierce. Tried putting the factory cleaning rod in thru the muzzle (which is a terrible idea, but sometimes that's all you can do) and THAT got stuck.

Had to take the M16 cleaning kit I was issued last year, cut off the male/female threaded portions of the segmented steel cleaning rod, and use that as a punch with a hammer to pound it through.

basically, it would have absolutely DESTROYED the bore of most other barrels.

The '74 came through without even a scratch on the crown.

Those bulgarians ****ing know how to make a barrel, that's for sure. I was WAILING on that shit. For a WHILE.

I did mess up the muzzle brake, and may just end up replacing it with a fresh one at some point, but not a huge deal, considering I could have destroyed the whole barrel....

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    I've never shot paper with it, but with the iron sights on my Maadi sidefolder I can break 10 clay pidgeons at 100yd with anywhere between 10 to 15 rounds -- repeatably. So, I know I'm the problem, not the rifle, lol. I've never taken it to a class, but as long as I don't use any tapco mags, it's great.

I have a Romanian G that runs like a raped ape, no matter what ammo I put in it, no matter how much mud is in it, no matter how much rain or snow there is, it runs like it should. Tapco mags or not.

My "new" (over a year old, lol) SBR runs amazingly too. Never misfed a round EVER. And when it was a pistol, I ran that thing as a backup on a single point to the Romanian G referenced above. I had to go in a swimming pool with it, then dip it in a bucket of WD40 to get all of the mud, then water out of it. (FYI, saltwater pools are BAD FOR GUNS.)

Century wound up with lemons because they didn't care. For a number of years they had a reputation for building crap, and to some people, they still do. Homebuilt stuff is generally on par or better than century's stuff, as long as there's an "elder builder" there to help.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I can't answer for the OP, but I know many people who have pre 10/1 AK receivers that have not been built yet.

I'm in that boat. Have a pre 10/1 receiver AND a beautiful parts kit but have yet to have time to put her together. Armed Ferret gave me some good advice and offered some of his tooling in assistance, just been too busy with school ending and work beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom