• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Many people don't kow this, but it's illegal to kill a native snake without a permit in MD.

http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/plants_wildlife/snakeinfo.asp

Sorry but I'll take the hit if someone wants to enforce it. People think a copperhead bite is no big deal because it's the least poisonous of snakes in the US. Hemotoxins start immediately to ROT YOUR FLESH and can easily cause loss of limb or sometimes worse.

Someone like me that's allergic to bee stings would probably have a rough go at it.

Leeann

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2011
    Edgewater
    I'm with you. I grew up in CT where copperheads abound. I'd shoot it first and take the hit later...I hate the things. And I'm allergic to bee stings, too.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Good thing I read this thread before I started deer hunting this year. I didn't think there were any venomous snakes in Maryland.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    There are about a dozen more snake threads, you just can't see them yet.

The general consensus is if you encounter any snake while hunting, the appropriate course of action is to fire 2 blasts in the air, followed by an ear drum piercing scream, then drop everything and run in the opposite direction, all the while praying you live to see another day. Any snake encountered in MD should be assumed to be the feared Eastern Diamondback Hog-nosed Reticulated Death Cobra.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    The general consensus is if you encounter any snake while hunting, the appropriate course of action is to fire 2 blasts in the air, followed by an ear drum piercing scream, then drop everything and run in the opposite direction, all the while praying you live to see another day...

Okay good...
    I have been doing it right.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've seen lots of Copperheads and a couple of Rattlers in MD...I may have seen a Cottonmouth once, but I didn't get a good enough look at it.

Western Maryland is full of rattlers pretty much from Frederic Co. on over to Garrett. Step lightly, my friend.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    There are about a dozen more snake threads, you just can't see them yet.

The general consensus is if you encounter any snake while hunting, the appropriate course of action is to fire 2 blasts in the air, followed by an ear drum piercing scream, then drop everything and run in the opposite direction, all the while praying you live to see another day. Any snake encountered in MD should be assumed to be the feared Eastern Diamondback Hog-nosed Reticulated Death Cobra.

You forgot to mention the "one-eyed hooded viper".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom