• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D.Dasher

Mar 14, 2012
    Hello all,I would like to start buying my powder in the eight pound kegs,as I understand Md. law the consumer is restricted to three pounds or less of Smokeless Powder at a time.Question of the day: Is it possible for a hobby scale handloader to buy/store larger amounts of powder and be in compliance with the regulations? Do I need a permit or a special handloaders licensce?
    As always thank you for your time and help.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Five pounds.

You need a permit from the Fire Marshal to store more.

Or load it QUICKLY (no limits on loaded ammo).

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    5lbs smokeless powder per household.

Check out the MD State Fire Marshals website for some extremely boring reading on how to have an external powder magazine to hold more than the 5lb limit. If I remember correctly, it opens you up to being occasionally inspected by the FM.

EDIT: I cannot find it on the horrible new State Police/MD Fire Marshal page, but found it in the MD General Assembly statutes.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    5lbs smokeless powder per household.

Check out the MD State Fire Marshals website for some extremely boring reading on how to have an external powder magazine to hold more than the 5lb limit. If I remember correctly, it opens you up to being occasionally inspected by the FM.

EDIT: I cannot find it on the horrible new State Police/MD Fire Marshal page, but found it in the MD General Assembly statutes.

The 5lb pound possession limit on smokeless powder without a license is a per-person limit.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    The 5lb pound possession limit on smokeless powder without a license is a per-person limit.

I wish I could find the original statute before it got moved. It had more information on the subject in the same place. The way I read it then was per household. But...I've been wrong before and certainly will be again.:D

EDIT: Reviewing the new documents again, it looks like you're correct.:thumbsup: I do not see anything stating "per household" and I'm not sure why I was so adamant about that.

Here's an older version which gives a look into the original intent of the law.

(You used to be able to possess 50lbs of powder.) :mad54:

I still cannot find the new location of how to store powder in a outdoor magazine if you had a license, which used to be easy to find on the old site.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I wish I could find the original statute before it got moved. It had more information on the subject in the same place. The way I read it then was per household. But...I've been wrong before and certainly will be again.:D

EDIT: Reviewing the new documents again, it looks like you're correct.:thumbsup: I do not see anything stating "per household" and I'm not sure why I was so adamant about that.

Here's an older version which gives a look into the original intent of the law.

(You used to be able to possess 50lbs of powder.) :mad54:

I still cannot find the new location of how to store powder in a outdoor magazine if you had a license, which used to be easy to find on the old site.

Perhaps you are thinking about the restriction to single family dwellings.

Agreed, when they moved the state FM into the MSP website things began to suck.

BaltimoreKid

Sep 13, 2013
    Southern Md.
    I have never seen this regulation enforced. I believe it was passed by and for the insurance lobby. If somebody blew up their house, and happened to be a reloader, they wanted to keep the premiums and not pay up. Sweetheart deal.
    Given the turn of violence in Charm City and PiG County, I doubt MSP has the time or inclination to enforce this reg out of thousands.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    It states "possession" would you be in violation bringing 6lbs back from out of state in your vehicle?

Er, no, and while you are at it, I have a package a friend in the same state is holding for me. If you'll just pick it up and deliver it to another friend for me who just happens to have $2000.00 he owes me that he's going to give you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom