• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My brother just picked up a Smith & Wesson model 640 and it came with what appears to be a moon clip for shooting rimless 9 mm through the revolver. It's stamped 7R but I can't find any information where you can actually shoot 9 mm through that particular model. I know it's the same caliber bullet I know in theory can be done but I can't find any information on why it came with the moon clip. Anybody have any experience with this?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I stumbled across this...

Possibly a conversion?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Certain it's not a 940? I'm sure it would be obvious if he has tried loading it with .38/.357.

Between 1991 and 1998, S&W produced the Model 940, a stainless Centennial chambered in 9mm. A group of three hundred were built in the .356 TSW caliber (good luck finding ammo for that one), and a prototype Model 942 Airweight in 9mm was built but did not go into production.

I stumbled across this...

Possibly a conversion?
    Yeah but the moon clip came from the factory? It's a brand new revolver. I'm thinking it may have been placed in the box by mistake?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Certain it's not a 940? I'm sure it would be obvious if he has tried loading it with .38/.357.

Between 1991 and 1998, S&W produced the Model 940, a stainless Centennial chambered in 9mm. A group of three hundred were built in the .356 TSW caliber (good luck finding ammo for that one), and a prototype Model 942 Airweight in 9mm was built but did not go into production.
    Then I'm thinking possibly this.^^^

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    A few things. I own the same revolver.

If it is a brand new current production standard 640, it is not made for moon clips. Unless it was some special run or had custom work done.

Was the moon clip just loose in the box? I previously owned a 625 and it came with I think three moonclips in a small zip top like bag. But the 625 is designed for them.

Could always throw a round on the moon clip and see if it will even close. Gently try to close it to satisfy his curiosity.

The barrel is stamped .357 I assume.

ETA: Even if the cylinder closes I wouldn’t shoot it that way. Maybe best to not even try in case something goes wrong or gets stuck…

Last edited:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    My brother just picked up a Smith & Wesson model 640 and it came with what appears to be a moon clip for shooting rimless 9 mm through the revolver. It's stamped 7R but I can't find any information where you can actually shoot 9 mm through that particular model. I know it's the same caliber bullet I know in theory can be done but I can't find any information on why it came with the moon clip. Anybody have any experience with this?
    Post or pm a picture of the box end with the label. Redact serial number if desired as it isn't relevant. A side view of the gun with barrel stampings would help too.

There are both factory and custom 640s that are cut for clips. I own a factory example.

Post or pm a picture of the box end with the label. Redact serial number if desired as it isn't relevant. A side view of the gun with barrel stampings would help too.

There are both factory and custom 640s that are cut for clips. I own a factory example.
    SKU 178044

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231216_194717_Message+.jpg
      Screenshot_20231216_194717_Message+.jpg
      135.1 KB · Views: 41
    • Screenshot_20231216_195056_Message+.jpg
      Screenshot_20231216_195056_Message+.jpg
      176.7 KB · Views: 41

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    So you have the Pro series? Seems odd it came with one loose moonclip. I think it should have come with several in a little baggie.

I think the OPs friend needs to call his FFL and see if something fell out or got mixed up. I bet S&W would take care of it over a phone call as well.

Something could have also happened at the distributor.

All this assuming he checked behind and under the foam padding in the factory case.

Pyramid

MDS Supporter
    Sep 27, 2008
    AACO
    I feel this company makes the best moon clips for the J frame, better than the TK brand that comes with the gun.

He doesn't have to use them. In fact, they can be a real PITA unless you own mooning and demooning tools. Where they shine is in efficiently recovering your brass during practice or in a match.
    My brother is an engineer. I'm sure he will figure out a way to remove the brass. He will use them. His philosophy is "if it comes in the box it has a use and i'm going to use it"

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    My brother is an engineer. I'm sure he will figure out a way to remove the brass. He will use them. His philosophy is "if it comes in the box it has a use and i'm going to use it"

These are the ones I use.

Generally don't bother clipping 357 for my 640. I do bother for my 625 as I tend to shoot that a lot more. Makes brass recovery a breeze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom