• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    They are not messing with the actual AC from what i have read. They replace your thermostat.

Pretty much it will make your AC like 80 degrees or so from what i have read in other forums. It depends on load an demand on their system.

While it is great, it is still BS. This is America, i think!

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    Just called and spoke to Liz in customer service, she told me SMECO does not and has not come onto anyone's personal property to install anything on a HVAC system without permission from the homeowner. She said it is part of the Cool Sentry program and permission is obtained by homeowner first. Maybe a few others can call and confirm what I was told.

SMECO Customer Service 1-888-440-3311

Cool Sentry sent postcards some time ago. If you didn't say you didn't want it, they installed it in some areas. Mainly larger housing developments.

They are not messing with the actual AC from what i have read. They replace your thermostat.

Pretty much it will make your AC like 80 degrees or so from what i have read in other forums. It depends on load an demand on their system.

While it is great, it is still BS. This is America, i think!

Instead of a thermostat if they can't get inside (or if you want to keep your stat) there is a component they install outside that does the same deed.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    Okay, got some clarification from the Uncle.

Smeco only sent out postcards to people who already had what they call legacy devices. These are an old load management system that is now obsolete. If you didn't opt out after the postcard the Cool Sentry folks have permission to go on your property and upgrade the device. Most of these were in Waldorf and this happened a couple or three years ago. Doesn't look like it is a current practice due to market saturation.

Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm
    If you get a credit for it like the one from BGE let them install it. Then once they do take the damn thing off. Free credit and they cant turn your unit off. If they say anyhting to you about it just tell them the unit was acting funny and you had an HVAC tech come out and service it and they must have taken it off without your knoledge. Win Win.

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    No you can't--A crime needs intent and their intent was not to harm, hurt or de value said property. NOT a crime under Md law...

If the HVAC becomes devalued or damaged is an arguable situation. Arguable from a brother who does HVAC and 2 friends who own HVAC companies. If a unit does not perform at 98° because SMECO turned it off, its devalued and or considered damaged.

They do have the right to access their own meter but the HVAC , water heaters, etc are off limits unless you give sole permission. Just say NO.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Don't trust them. They are better service and price than many, but I have sensed a cost-conscience way about them over the years that makes me feel like they will tell you anything to save them a buck.

Example: SMECO outright lied to me about solar credits and checks for producing more energy than you use. The law says I can install up to 200% baseline and that SMECO has to bank the credits for a year and send me a check for the difference. And unique to SMECO, I have the option to have them send me a check monthly - this is a rule that applies only to cooperatives of a certain size. Everyone else has to wait for a check in April.

I called to investigate the process and had their manager in charge of the program outright tell me "the law changed" and that we can no longer get any payments for overproduction. None. At all. I pointed to the website of the MD Energy Agency - which said I could get a refund - and the SMECO manager told me that, "they have not updated their site with the new law changes."

Umm...anyone here at MDS who follows gun laws knows more about chasing legislation through the state register, committees and hearings - and even legislative hallways, in person - to not take that at face value. So I start digging and making calls to smart people, including lawmakers. Fast forward a few weeks and I get the guy on the phone again and politely confront him. He finally said I was correct, and then said what what he really said was, "nobody in Southern Maryland seems interested in going that route. That's all I said."

Problem is they said the same thing to a local business that wanted to put in an array twice the size they have today. The reason they didn't?

The same manager lied to them throughout the whole process.

I don't frequently use the word "lie" when talking about a business online. My words here are solid, and I got more than my voice to back me up.

My advice: Get their representations in writing.

285ferrari

Dec 7, 2012
    Waldorf
    If the HVAC becomes devalued or damaged is an arguable situation. Arguable from a brother who does HVAC and 2 friends who own HVAC companies. If a unit does not perform at 98° because SMECO turned it off, its devalued and or considered damaged.

They do have the right to access their own meter but the HVAC , water heaters, etc are off limits unless you give sole permission. Just say NO.

Doesn't matter if it is devalued, damaged or not--Md law requires INTENT!! There was no intent from SMECO to harm the system. Can the owner go after them civilly, yes, but not criminally. No officer in a million years could charge them, because the elements of the crime are not present.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want them on my property anymore then the next guy, but does not make a crime if they did...

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I had one on an old unit, but when I got a new unit installed, I returned the meter.

The heat pump going on and off during a normal cycle = x.
    The heat pump going on and off during peak times = x plus some number.

This added amount, of going on and off, would cause the HP to wear out at a quicker rate.

So instead of lasting 10 years, maybe last only 8?

Just my .02, maybe an HVAC tech can comment.

bg71361

Apr 30, 2012
    Pepco had similar program back in the 90's called the Kilowatchers they installed a unit on the outside a/c unit which would cycle it at their will in turn you recieved a credit on your bill.

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    Getting ready to add solar panels anyway, so soon enough SMECO will be paying me for electricity

Im waiting to see if you actually start to receive checks. I have been working on being a windmill contractor for a few years now. I know our past governor passed a bill to make SMECO put in a meter to handle this for free since SMECO was trying to charge people for it. Last update I had was that you could only get a credit up to a year for over production. We have tried to install windmills that get as close to demand amounts for the residence without over producing. Sounds like I may need to research more on any changes. Especially since the latest administration has beeen all about "changes"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom