Smart Meters - Health hazard and privacy issues.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    So about a week ago, I went to the Bowie Town Hall meeting; where overwhelmingly the conversation was about guns, liberty and some of these outrageous proposed legislation designed to exploit the recent mass shooting tragedies to further an anti-gun agenda.

While I was there a doctor used her 2 minutes to talk about these 'Smart Meters' that are replacing most regular meters. I had never heard of this issue, but recalled that a couple weeks earlier, they had replaced my meter with one of these. She ran down a list of significant problems with 'smart meters' ranging from heath hazards, privacy and security issues, to money laundering political purposes. Later another woman spoke out against 'smart meters' and had a stack of data, and urging some legislation to address the problem.

I've been looking into this issue myself part-time lately, and so far, I think they are right! I sent a message to BG&E to please remove the new meter as it was placed without my knowledge or permission. To my surprise within a week they did send a tech and he simply opened the panel, pulled out the 'smart meter' and pushed in the normal (non radiating) one. It took all of two minutes. We had a good chat about it, and the tech even related that he was familiar with some of the complaints and had removed a few. He said the only negative, is that BG&E will charge me an extra fee now to have an employee come to my house every month and read my meter, like they always have. Isn't this sort of like extortion? Either take our new meter that's sole purpose is to maximize our profit (supported by tax money), or we're going to charge you more either way. I think the charge is going to be between $40-60, that's about 50% of my normal bill.

Anyone else looked into this?

http://marylandsmartmeterawareness.org/

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Got about 10 minutes into it but could not wrap my mind around this right now as I'm chilling out with a few beers. I will review and recommend folks set some time without distractions when looking at this as it is a pretty intense subject discussion involving the radiation and other health hazards that could result from these meters. I have PEPCO so I wonder how they would respond to a removal request.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    www.bge.com/learnshare/​smartgrid/​...opt-out,-or...meter-installed.aspx

the link doesn't want to work, here is the text:

Can I opt out, or choose not to have a meter installed?

On Jan. 7, 2013, the Maryland Public Service Commission (PSC) issued an order that Maryland utilities should provide customers with an additional option related to the installation of smart meters in their homes. The PSC will conduct additional proceedings to determine whether the preferred course is to allow customers the option of retaining their current meter or to require all customers to receive a smart meter with the option to have that meter installed to operate in an “RF-free” or near RF-free manner. The PSC will require that customers who select the ultimately approved option pay the related costs.
    As the PSC continues proceedings to determine opt-out specifics, BGE customers who wish to defer meter installation can continue to do so by contacting BGE via email or letter. Customers who have already requested a meter deferral do not have to take further action at this time. BGE will communicate any next steps when the PSC makes a final determination.
    BGE customers who wish to defer installation, or customer requesting deactivation for meters already installed, should provide the following information via letter or email:
    Name(s)
    Address
    Account Number
    Phone Number
    Email Address

Email deferral requests to smartmeterdeferral@bge.com.

Letters should be sent to:

Smart Meter Deferral
    BGE
    P.O. Box 1475
    Baltimore, MD 21203

For more information on the PSC’s proceedings on the opt out issue, visit the PSC website at www.psc.state.md.us and access Order No. 85294, and case No. 9208.

here is a nother thread discussing this:http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=90685&highlight=smart+meter

Deep Thought

Jan 27, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Nothing like being able to remotely turn off power service. The first time this happens on a mass scale perhaps folks will give some thought to security. It's been a popular topic at infosec conferences like defcon.

This just can't end well. Wireless control, what could go wrong?

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Just wrap some aluminum foil around your meter...it will block the RF. Since you have the new meter, they can't charge you extra. Take that F-in BGE!

Look on the Internet for Farraday cages for more info.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Yeah, if they pay attention to your written desire to opt out the way they were supposed to give you the option to opt out in the first place, you'll still have this incendiary device installed in your house.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Yeah, if they pay attention to your written desire to opt out the way they were supposed to give you the option to opt out in the first place, you'll still have this incendiary device installed in your house.

I opted out and they still installed that damn Smart Meter. Blamed it on a contractor.

I asked them to return my original meter or a LKQ meter but I'm still waiting. Fired off a complaint to PSC but they won't get involved until BGE fails to resolve the issue.

Just another reason to leave though I'm sure I have this problem with any utility company so I'm looking at getting off the grid for the next house.

ke3gk

HAM from U.N.C.L.E.
    Aug 27, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    The D.O.E. and N.I.S.T. knew about the problems and health hazards of cell phones and microwaves at least back in the 90's when I was there.

I feel sorry for those people walking around all day with a cell phone glued to their head. They are slow cooking their brains. I try to never use mine for any length of time and usually put it on speakerphone so I don't have to hold it to my head.

Now with this microwave thing BGE wants to install, not sure what frequency it will be, but it is dangerous. 550ma ? 1000ma ? I don't know the power output, but all day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Bad.

We are being bombarded with RF all day and night. All frequencies. Long term effects ? BAD.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Imagine if just 1% of dissatisfied "smart meter" customers, somehow had their "smart meters" vandalized with a sledgehammer, and there were (unfortunately) no witnesses.

That would cost the power companies a lot of money, wouldn't it?

And that would be a shame....

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I opted out and they still installed that damn Smart Meter. Blamed it on a contractor.

We never got the card or whatever we were supposed to to opt out. Just came home one day and it was installed.

What's this "contractor" BS? Sorry, BGE, you hired the contractor.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    We never got the card or whatever we were supposed to to opt out. Just came home one day and it was installed.

What's this "contractor" BS? Sorry, BGE, you hired the contractor.
    it's on their website.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    So if they charge you $40-$50 just to keep the old style, they better darn sight reduce my bill by that much if I get the new one, since it is supposed to save them money. I won't hold my breath though.....

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    Bge sent me a letter 2yrs ago and informed me that i had to have one or they would refuse me service......... About 2 weeks prior I put my 3 rottweilers out and didnt know the bge meter reader was out there. It was a young black girl and she met them just as they were coming around the back deck. I was in the house when I hear a woman screaming bloody murder. She literally scaled about 6 ft up the back of the deck.... Once i got the dogs back in the house and she calmed down, she couldnt get out of here fast enough. Lol

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Nothing like being able to remotely turn off power service. The first time this happens on a mass scale perhaps folks will give some thought to security. It's been a popular topic at infosec conferences like defcon.

This just can't end well. Wireless control, what could go wrong?

I had one of those heat pump control units put on a few years ago. That thing messed with my HVAC system something terrible and actually wound up costing me more money to have it. I had them take it off.

Getting around not having electric because they turned it off through the meter can be a DIY fix if necessary.:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom