• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I think all new guns should have back up cameras so you can see if a 2nd badguy is sneaking up behind you, and you don't back up over a kid while reloading.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Why is this even a topic of conversation? Don't you remember that we solved all gun crime issues back with the shell casing law?

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Who needs smart guns? Just issue No Guns stickers for every door and No Guns T-shirts to everybody and then no gun crime will occur!

Then maybe add some No Drugs stickers and No Drunk Driving and No criminal activity and No Gangs and.... soon we will be living in a Star Trek utopia!

(Except there were MANY star trek episodes where the bad guys were star trek admirals and highly placed politicians.....)

indiana cletus

Slayer of squirrels
    Apr 26, 2011
    pikesville md
    Problems with all modern guns can fall into the following categories: faulty manufacturing, broken or worn part, or ID10T type error.... "Smart guns" are still prone to these. Also, unlike mechanical guns, they would be prone to battery failure/drain, programing issues, will likely be able to be disabled by LEO and therefore anyone with adequate knowledge of the system, electrical malfunction, and, the moat likely failure i see on hunting/field guns.... Water damage. There is no better way in my mind to buy an expensive fancy paperweight. This in addition to all the potenial for abuse of 2A. In fact, only police and military should have "smart guns"..... One more point to consider, for those that would be mildly accepting of this technology were it reliable.... There is no reason you should be killed with your own gun. In home defense, if you have retrived and drawn a weapon, you have made the decision to end someones life. You may not have to fire, but if the approach you, they should do so through a wall of lead, and expire before reaching you. If you are not prepared for this, you should not even think of using a weapon in home defense. On the other hand, how many of you really carry all the time at home? I mean in shower, bed, all meals, it only leaves your side if you leave the property? If not, suppose you are attackedsay in the garage or yard. Your wife, kids, or roomate COULD come to the rescue, but for your woulderful "smart gun" which only lets you fire it and in their hands is again, a fancy paperweight.... Really think its a good idea?

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    Problems with all modern guns can fall into the following categories: faulty manufacturing, broken or worn part, or ID10T type error.... "Smart guns" are still prone to these. Also, unlike mechanical guns, they would be prone to battery failure/drain, programing issues, will likely be able to be disabled by LEO and therefore anyone with adequate knowledge of the system, electrical malfunction, and, the moat likely failure i see on hunting/field guns.... Water damage. There is no better way in my mind to buy an expensive fancy paperweight. This in addition to all the potenial for abuse of 2A. In fact, only police and military should have "smart guns"..... One more point to consider, for those that would be mildly accepting of this technology were it reliable.... There is no reason you should be killed with your own gun. In home defense, if you have retrived and drawn a weapon, you have made the decision to end someones life. You may not have to fire, but if the approach you, they should do so through a wall of lead, and expire before reaching you. If you are not prepared for this, you should not even think of using a weapon in home defense. On the other hand, how many of you really carry all the time at home? I mean in shower, bed, all meals, it only leaves your side if you leave the property? If not, suppose you are attackedsay in the garage or yard. Your wife, kids, or roomate COULD come to the rescue, but for your woulderful "smart gun" which only lets you fire it and in their hands is again, a fancy paperweight.... Really think its a good idea?

Your points are pretty much my points...

The only hope is that no manufacturer would use it, cave to pressure, or get into bed with anti-gun politicians.

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Don't forget that the OS for the smart gun may be from microsoft. Who want's to do "the 3 finger salute" (ctl-alt-delete for those that don't know) during a gun battle ? Or draw your weapon and find the "blue screen of death"? Or be faced with an EMP event and find your smart gun is now an expensive rock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom