• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Any small game hunters here?
    Headin out with Pop, brother, and oldest nephew for little squirrel, and dove huntin.
    Aint seen them in a while, workin to dang much
    Ought to be a good day.

So, anyone else have a "family reunion" at the dove field or in the squirrel trees?

Just glad to see hunting season is back!

TNT

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    Geeezzz.....my hunting jacket is hanging in the attic with my last licence still on the back from 1986.
    I used to enjoy hunting rabbit, squirrel and pheasant.

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    My issue with hunting in Maryland, is that I don't have any place to hunt small game. For that matter also deer.

I agree with you to an extent. I only hunt public land.
    Doves not flyin today, but 2 squirrel a in the roaster now, and 3 in the freezer.
    And I usually average bout 6 deer a year so I guess its all in where ya go.

TNT

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I agree with you to an extent. I only hunt public land.
    Doves not flyin today, but 2 squirrel a in the roaster now, and 3 in the freezer.
    And I usually average bout 6 deer a year so I guess its all in where ya go.

TNT

Doves everywhere. Hunt them in the evening just before Sunset.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Unfortunately I haven't seen doves on public land in Fredneck. I will go get squirrels after the 1st frost.

Come on down to Charles County. The public Dove fields here are purposefully planted with Sunflower and Wheat by DNR. There's Doves a plenty.

Now, the Doves on my farm are resident. The farmer who leases the fields plants Orchardgrass and Wheat, so, there's always bout 40 acres of some sort of seed to be had.

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Yeah, we were out in Frederick. We were out in DNR planted fields.

No luck.

So we just hit the deer woods for some scouting, and to get out of heat. Squirrels were running pretty good.

Haven't done any huntin in SoMD. Wouldnt even know where to go.
    Cedarville in Waldorf is bout as far down as Ive hunted. Been years, don't even know if you can.still hunt there. Aint been back since "chigger incident". Would rather go west.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    With my work schedule giving me about 3 hours of hunting time between Saturday and today, I've gotten one dove at the farm.... I think I'm going to do dove over deer this Saturday only because of the weather (they don't make those cheap styrofoam coolers big enough for a couple does lol)

shanewolfe

Sep 4, 2011
    Odenton, MD
    I always start out the season with some squirrel hunting. Looking forward to some rabbit and possibly other small game this year.

There are lots of spots to hunt small game. You can even use a .22. The rifle restrictions are mostly for deer season, but check with the office/land manager of the public land you are hunting before you take your rimfire out. I always get written confirmation from the DNR in Central MD. Western MD is good to go for rifles.

cjnolen

Registered Coonass
    Apr 9, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Me and the dog are gonna go wander the woods next weekend in Green Ridge State Forest looking for squirrels. I cut my teeth hunting tree rats with my grandfather, so I'm hoping to get back into it and see if my pup can learn a thing or two.

jac43k

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2010
    Taneytown, MD
    Me and the dog are gonna go wander the woods next weekend in Green Ridge State Forest looking for squirrels. I cut my teeth hunting tree rats with my grandfather, so I'm hoping to get back into it and see if my pup can learn a thing or two.

Now that sounds like a great time, good luck.

serakine

Jul 9, 2012
    Lexington Park, MD
    I would love to find a place to go squirrel hunting in St Mary's county. I used to go all the time when I was younger with my dad in Texas, but since I've moved to maryland it seems overwhelming with all the restrictions everywhere.

I'd like to be able to find a place where I could take my nephew to introduce him to hunting. Squirrel hunting was my first introduction to hunting so I'd like to do the same for him.

Of course the other hurdle is to find a hunters education class to get him into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom